2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 10 - 12

Juzh wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 10:34
zibby43 wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 04:27
And your point is? The RW is a very inefficient (i.e., draggy) form of downforce. The last thing I’d want to do at Monza is run any more RW than I absolutely have to.

Accordingly, the 2020 RW looks like a toothpick (on pole by 8 tenths).

2019 is the only wing that maybe looks a bit larger than what I would typically expect at Monza, but that’s the car that required downforce at all costs to work as a consequence of the FW changes.

Merc were running more wing everywhere that year.

Ferrari were on pole in 2019, also. That’s when they had the thirsty PU.
Dude, red bull ran toothpick wings and was still always slower on straights than mercedes powered cars. Only on the very top end were they starting to catch up with their zero drag approach. These very low wings quite obviously hurt them in corners. If you can't understand this then not much else to say.

Simply, if you have more power you can bolt on more wing because engine will compensate, and that's what mercedes and their customers did over the years.
I didn't bother explaining it.
You obviously did it with a flair. :)
Hakuna Matata!

SiLo

What will be really interesting, is if both RB and Mercedes use Bottas and Perez to give Max and Lewis a tow.
Felipe Baby!

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

SiLo wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 12:25
What will be really interesting, is if both RB and Mercedes use Bottas and Perez to give Max and Lewis a tow.
if you see max giving Perez a tow you can guarantee they will be taking new units for max before the race

RZS10

The question is whether they'd risk having one of the cars further down mid pack for the sprint or if they believe that car could regain those positions for the main start - on the other hand: is it worth the risk if the start of the sprint can ruin all the effort (because afterall it's just there to devalue the actual quali)

El Scorchio

RZS10 wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:01
The question is whether they'd risk having one of the cars further down mid pack for the sprint or if they believe that car could regain those positions for the main start - on the other hand: is it worth the risk if the start of the sprint can ruin all the effort (because afterall it's just there to devalue the actual quali)
There could be an amount of carnage at the Rettifilo at the start of the sprint race if some drivers with nothing to lose are trying to gain position. Anyone who is a contender is going to have to be super careful going through there. Could have a big impact on Sunday's race. Verstappen and Hamilton are going to really want to be on the front row and as well clear of it as possible.

I really hope there's some variation in tyre choices for it. It was frankly the only interesting thing about the last sprint race, and let's face it, it's not going to cure the farcical problem of everyone backing up and slipstreaming in proper qualifying.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Turn 1 on lap one is often a midfield shunt-fest at Monza as the cars with low downforce try to out-brake each other from high speed in to the tight right hander. Being midfield is not a good place to be unless you can bag the inside line in to T1- and even then you risk getting hit by someone as you turn in to the left hander at T2. Neither of Max or Lewis will want to be anywhere other than the front for both starts.

Indeed, the risk of contact in T1 makes Monza a poor choice for the silly qualifying sprint thing. Damage here in the sprint thing is quite a high probability, sadly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

dxpetrov wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 12:12
I don't think RB had a chance at Monza, but Sochi should be ok. It's very similar to France, and we know what happened there. No.33 even took front row last year in front of Bottas.
The Honda engine is right there with Mercedes and the RedBull makes more downforce from its body than the Merc judging by the wing levels they have been running, so RB should be fighting for pole. That said there is a chance Aston or Williams slip in between the bulls and Merc if RB doesnt work well for some reason other than downforce.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mogster

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 13:25
Turn 1 on lap one is often a midfield shunt-fest at Monza as the cars with low downforce try to out-brake each other from high speed in to the tight right hander. Being midfield is not a good place to be unless you can bag the inside line in to T1- and even then you risk getting hit by someone as you turn in to the left hander at T2. Neither of Max or Lewis will want to be anywhere other than the front for both starts.

Indeed, the risk of contact in T1 makes Monza a poor choice for the silly qualifying sprint thing. Damage here in the sprint thing is quite a high probability, sadly.
More crashing for the better cars and out of place starters for the “race” is the whole point of the “sprint” though, no? Crashing and multiple starts look good on Netflix…

Other than the couple of laps after each start there wasn’t a lot of overtaking in last years race, the party mode ban seemed to lead to a DRS train. Hopefully we’ll see better this year.

LM10
LM10

Mr.S wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 11:25
Mercedes, Mclaren & Ashton Martin should all do very well here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams in Q3. Mercedes have the best PU by a comfortable margin & a fresher PU so this pans out great for them.

This should be a Mercedes 1-2 with possibly a Norris podium. Russia should also suit them. Monza & Russia should be about damage limitation for RB. I think Max will be happy to take 2nd if both of these races. If he loses 14 points (leading by 5 now), he will be down by 9 only with a handful of races left so he should have a good chance.
Seems like you’re still living in the past.

godlameroso

Monza is a perfect place to test out some theories. Since you're forced to run low wings, ride heights and the rake tuning make a bigger difference. Also following from a thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29937

Perhaps putting more flap on the right side could work at a place like Monza, most turns are right handers, so the right gets light. You could fine tune it with front right ride height. Also no doubt the alignment on the front right tire would affect everything downstream as well.

All the left hand turns, are short quick transient bursts, more or less, if there is a left turn it's always sharp and leads to a longer right turn. The only exception is the exit of Ascari, however the right hand part is the longer radius corner.

Perhaps putting more load on the right axles, shifts some of the load off the outside tires, maybe it would work as a tire preservation strategy, who knows.
Saishū kōnā

El Scorchio

LM10 wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 14:29
Mr.S wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 11:25
Mercedes, Mclaren & Ashton Martin should all do very well here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams in Q3. Mercedes have the best PU by a comfortable margin & a fresher PU so this pans out great for them.

This should be a Mercedes 1-2 with possibly a Norris podium. Russia should also suit them. Monza & Russia should be about damage limitation for RB. I think Max will be happy to take 2nd if both of these races. If he loses 14 points (leading by 5 now), he will be down by 9 only with a handful of races left so he should have a good chance.
Seems like you’re still living in the past.
Or trying to create a certain repetitive, tedious narrative.

PlatinumZealot

How will Bottas drive? How will George drive? Or it doesn't matter once the visor comes down?

I feel Bottas will not be keen to give tow to LH44, but George could be put up to the task if he makes it to Q3.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 16:32
How will Bottas drive? How will George drive? Or it doesn't matter once the visor comes down?

I feel Bottas will not be keen to give tow to LH44, but George could be put up to the task if he makes it to Q3.
I think Bottas still needs to show he's a professional, he can't really get away with anything that will jeopardise the team's chance at both championships. In a worst case scenario he might find himself benched and GR takes his seat for the remainder of the season.

Unf

Toto isn't stupid. He has to have an ace in the hole if Bottas will start to be unruly.

El Scorchio

Bottas is out for himself now. I don't think he'll do the team any real favours, or at least the bare minimum as demonstrated on Sunday with the fastest lap thing. (and to be frank why should he- they've let him go) He knows they can't drop him before the end of the season unless he does something ridiculous as whoever replaces him won't be able to be a factor in the title races. They still prize the WCC over WDC first and foremost.

It will be very interesting if there's a request for team orders at any point. I don't think he'll acquiesce very easily. He already has a drive wrapped up for next season so his future is not an issue. It'll be just like Raikkonen's immediate change in attitude/compliance as soon as he knew he was leaving Ferrari with regard to playing the team orders game with Vettel.