Hungarian GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

What a dramatic race, I'm glad I don't bet or I would have lost my paycheck.
Shu did drive a great race, but in the end when both de la Rosa and Heidfeld passed him, it was much faster cars passing a desperate man who saw the points slipping through his finfers like sand. Entering the chicane, the inside car had gained an advantage, and had the preferred line. Shu chose to not give ground, and went off the track and cut the second part of the chicane. With de la Rosa, he chose the break a major racing rule and refused to give back the position the other car had gained fairly and legally. The seond time with Heidfeld, he rammed his rear, resulting in the BMW struggling for the rest of the race. And of course, as we all know, Shu broke his car doing it.
Maybe some Ferrari fans should take off their rose tinted glasses and watch more racing, because what both de la Rosa and Heidfeld did was routine for almost every pass in chicanes. What Shu did was to not give ground when it was obvious he was in a much slower car, and was lagging in the chicane. Instead of following driver ettiquette and doing what almost every other driver does by giving ground and staying legally on the track, he cut the corner (more than once), finally resulting in him ramming another car leading to his own retirement. In reality, Shu should have received a drive through penalty for not allowing de la Rosa past, and a summons to the race steward's office post-race to explain why he had rammed a faster car that was in the process of passing him.
Rammed a faster car that was in the process of passing him? Hmm, where have I heard that phrase before? But I digress. Shu drove a great race most of the time, he fought back from misfortune and crappy rain tires only to fall victim to his own actions. (and character flaws)
Massa collapsed totally with the wet, he was a huge disappointment. Kimi had a monstrous brain fart, but at least he was man enough to tell the truth. You have to admire and like a man with integrity.
Both de la Rosa and Kubica proved they are worthy of driving the rest of this season, and the next.
And Jenson, he just did it rght, and does deserve the accolades and respect of a man who has won a Grand Prix.

wazojugs

Lightspeed wrote:
NH losing control ? I dont see any fault of Michael.
You would not with Ferrari blinkers on. NH has the inside line running into that chicane making Schumi yield, but he didn't

bhall
bhall

After watching a replay on DVR, I have to admit that I got the incidents with Schumacher in the chicane wrong.

I think he was driving too hard on very badly worn tires that weren't good at all to begin with when he was battling with de la Rosa and was unable to turn and hold the line. I don't think, however, that he opened the door on de la Rosa only to close it a moment later, as has been suggested. The opening was merely a result of poor grip. I can call that a racing incident and feel ok with it.

But he should've known when he was battling Heidfeld that the same thing was going to happen, and he should've ceded the position.

All in all, I guess it worked out for the best. Schumacher didn't earn any points (Edited: Kubica was disqualified for his car being underweight, so Schumacher moved into 8th, earning a point), and both de la Rosa and Heidfeld deservingly finished on the podium.

I hate eating crow.

manchild
manchild

Wait a sec, I didn't see Schuey hitting Heidfeld's BMW (probably because of damn commercials) When did it happen? I only saw him lossing front wing when he hit Fisichella.

bhall
bhall

manchild wrote:Wait a sec, I didn't see Schuey hitting Heidfeld's BMW (probably because of damn commercials) When did it happen? I only saw him lossing front wing when he hit Fisichella.
It happened in the same turn as the incident with de la Rosa, I believe one lap later. Schumacher again attempted to take the line and made contact with Heidfeld. The contact broke the track rod and forced his retirement.

wazojugs

manchild wrote:Wait a sec, I didn't see Schuey hitting Heidfeld's BMW (probably because of damn commercials) When did it happen? I only saw him lossing front wing when he hit Fisichella.
Thats the beauty of Sky +

manchild
manchild

Thanks, now I'll have to watch re-run to check out that moment. :lol:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Nick Heidfeld: I did have two worrying moments, one earlier in the race when I went off on some gravel and then near the end when I overtook Michael Schumacher. He ran into the back of me and destroyed his suspension, although my steering was then damaged I knew I had an advantage so took it easy to the end of the race."
http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Pag ... 94,00.html
In the podium fin basically the same thishers post race televised press conference Nick said basically the same thing.
http://www.formula1.com/race/news/4781/763.html

f1.redbaron

In the, yet another, strange twist of events, Kubica was DQ'd. His car was 2kg under the minimum weight. With that, sorry Manchild, Schumacher moves up a spot, to eight, giving him one point, and closing the gap to Alonso down to 10 pts.

wazojugs

Lets see if that point makes any difference at the end of the season

allan
allan

goD! what a race!!!
even though i felt that it was a very long one, (and it was), as the excitment didn't end untill now with kubica's disqualification..This race deserves 10/10!
to be hones i was realy happy to see alonso retire, but 1 point isn't too bad!!! 8)
it's gonna be a long three weeks stop!!!!!!!!

manchild
manchild

Without wanting to be caled "Schuey hater" how come he stays in standings and moves up after he had crashed from rear in two cars (Fisichella, Heidfeld) and gained position by cutting chichane?

Remeber last year when Alonso gained position over Klien, he let him pass by later just as Schuey did but regardless on that he got penalty. Why wasn't there any penalty for Schuey? He caused two crashes in race and gained position by cutting chichane.

f1.redbaron

manchild wrote:Without wanting to be caled "Schuey hater" how come he stays in standings and moves up after he had crashed from rear in two cars (Fisichella, Heidfeld) and gained position by cutting chichane?

Remeber last year when Alonso gained position over Klien, he let him pass by later just as Schuey did but regardless on that he got penalty. Why wasn't there any penalty for Schuey? He caused two crashes in race and gained position by cutting chichane.
Remember when Alonso cut the chicane (twice) in the closing stages of the Monaco GP '05 - when Webber was trying to pass him.

In this case, MS had lost the position before the stewards had the chance to investigate the incident, so they decided to let it go...

fwa2500

and Button wins after that long talk with Jeremy Clarkson last week......wow :shock: .......think they changed the windscreen on the car? lol :roll:

fantstic race though....

Tp
Tp

fwa2500 wrote:and Button wins after that long talk with Jeremy Clarkson last week......wow :shock: .......think they changed the windscreen on the car? lol :roll:

fantstic race though....
HAHAHA "You know why you're not winning? It's the windscreen!!" lol

Was an awesome race. Really happy for Button

Didn't like what Alonso did to Schumacher to get him a penalty during the red flag though. But hey I'm not gonna moan about it for 7 pages when it resulted in a great race.