Turkish GP 2006 - Istanbul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jason

I'm suprised of these things....

1. Bad Toyota engine
2. Bad Renault R26. :oops:

Quickest on track...and pit lane!.....No one but Vettel only! :shock: At the start of his first GP weekend he gets fined $1000.:roll:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Saribro
Saribro

Yamamoto qualified ahead of Sato :).

allan
allan

actually i was surprised to see michael on first row.
according to speed tv, michael is on the harder brids, while massa is on the softer ones...
it's a big gamble or massa, because the graining is apparently a really big issue there....

Lightspeed

I doubt, it seems more likely that he was taking it safe after his error in the first run.
Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn admitted that Michael Schumacher was forced to forsake pole position and play safe after making a mistake in qualifying for the Turkish Grand Prix.

The seven-time champion, who will start second on the grid behind Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa, ruined his first flying lap after braking too late for Turn 1.

He was then forced to drive conservatively on his second hot lap, having already made a number of errors in the first sector of the lap on Saturday.

“He had a mistake obviously in his first run and I think he just had to take it easy in the second run,” Brawn explained to ITV Sport’s Ted Kravitz.

“We couldn’t afford to have another mistake or else we were in trouble.So it was a very conservative lap from him I think, but it was still good enough.”

Schumacher was favourite to take the pole prior to qualifying and confirmed his pace with an extraordinary lap time of 1m25.850s during Q2 – a full second faster than the rest of the field. :)

allan
allan

so is it confirmed or not, is he on different tires?
the renault seemed to be quicker in q3, after more than 1.2 sec slower on low fuel! they did a pretty good job in the last session..
but i was shocked with mclarens, kimi was 7th or 8th i think, is it right??

Saribro
Saribro

allan wrote:but i was shocked with mclarens, kimi was 7th or 8th i think, is it right??
8th time, 7th on the grid with Ralf's engine swap.
I would have expected them higher aswell, but I don't know the details of their strategy, and a race is still 90 minutes or longer, so who knows.

allan
allan

a geat race!
massa was wonderful, he is a huge talented driver!
i have to addmit it, alonso fought fantasticly, even though he was a little bit lucky, but michael just made too many mistakes....
personally, i've never had such an exciting race for along time, maybe suzuka 2003....

Principessa

Great race! Really amazing. I was at the point of my chair till the end of the race! Thank god that Liuzzi spun off...not for Liuzzi of course, but the SC was on the track and if that wouldn't have happened, I don't think Alonso would have finished second.

manchild
manchild

Great result for Massa and great achievement for Alonso with old engine without mass damper on his car and still beating Schuey with fresh engine!

In Monca Alonso gets RS26 spec. D while Schuey will have to use Turkish engine.

In your face Mosley, in your face! :mrgreen:

4 races to go - 12 points lead for Alonso. That means that even if Schuey would win all 4 races Alonso would win WDC by being 3 times 2nd and once 4th. He'd win title for 1 point :wink:

flynfrog

great race

i think that wraps up the tittle fight for wdc unless alnso has some kinda of accident but constructors is heating up

wazojugs

I think this GP has shown that Schumi is putting himself under some pressure to win this title so that he retires at the top with the WDC title.

By doing this is make small mistakes that are costing him, qualifying and running wide at turn 8

Ciro Pabón

I guess we won't call him Felipinho again: now he is Felipão! Congratulations to our Brazilian friends: it has been a long time without hearing the hymn.

"More flowers have been put forth in your fair, smiling fields
Than those you find in the most gorgeously reputed lands;
More life is to be found in your groves,
More love in our lives by your embrace."

Sorry for the corny moment, I was remembering the first time I heard Emmerson singing it ...

Interesting result: without Massa qualifying as he did and without Liuzzi going out and without the incredible driving by Alonso, the championship could have been decided today. Nothing is said yet.

I find funny how the Ferrari seems to out-brake the Renault (at the end of the main straight) and how the Renault was able to take the number 8 curve much faster.

BTW, the curve number 8 deserves a name. It could be an ex-champion name: pick one, I won't say who (Ascari? Nuvolari?). However, please, hurry, before it becomes the Cocacola curve or the Bayer spiral. This curve has personality: it has to be baptized. Any suggestions? Raikkonen's Bane? Or Kubica, Webber or Schumacher's? :)

Why, oh, why did they not bring the safety car after the first lap incident?

After watching Hamilton on GP2 I wonder what is Ron Dennis waiting for... and I like Piquet Jr.

Finally, not only Yamamoto outqualified Sato: Speed did the same to Liuzzi, at last.
Ciro

Saribro
Saribro

Ciro Pabón wrote:BTW, the curve number 8 deserves a name.
How about 'Satan's nook'? :D
I'm not a big fan of naming corners after people or companies myself, I feel it robs the corners of their own character.
It definitly deserves more than "Turn 8" though :). (unless all the other corners get names, and nr8 is the special one by not really having a name :D)

manchild
manchild

Montoya's shoulder

Fisichella's grip

?

:wink:

Arman_Juna_Beats
Arman_Juna_Beats

Wow unbelieveable race....Schumi should have won the second place instead of Alonso for sure...heart keep on poundin sice he launch an attack on Alonso...if only the finish line was abit infront!!..ahah...anyway Well done by Massa...n 2 Jenson button..always honda stickin behind..unfortunaly Raikkonen couldn't end the race....Sad...We r going 2 do it in Monza!!...reaction from u all will be very pleased!!Smile...