Turkish GP 2006 - Istanbul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ecedeno
ecedeno

Championship not yet defined

manchild wrote: 4 races to go - 12 points lead for Alonso. That means that even if Schuey would win all 4 races Alonso would win WDC by being 3 times 2nd and once 4th. He'd win title for 1 point :wink:
As much as I want Fernando to win, even doing those three 2nd places could be a problem with Massa being so fast now. So Alonso should make sure he keeps finishing in front of Schumi...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Definitely one of the better races this year. My congratulations to Massa, he drove just excellent. Maybe too gooc, because his being in front of Shu when the safety car came out really screwed up Shu's strategy. it's not often we see Ferrari screw up on pit stops and overall strategy. The problem is, Massa checked out too quickly at the start, and Shu couldn't get ahead of him before the safety car came out. It was very similar to Indy how Massa took off, but at Indy Shu got close enough to have massa relenquish first.
Briatore must have had some kind of estactic orgasm when Fernando beat Shu out of the pits, that was the defining moment of the race. The Ferraris were definitely the class of the field, don't count them out. But Shu is showing signs of the pressure, he is making lots of mistakes.
Button brought his Honda home in a strong fourth, very well done. The win has really brought his game up.
Tilke finally got it right, this Turkey track is the best modern track ever. It truly brings out the best in current F1 machinery and drivers, giving a great spectacle while offering great challenges.
And yes, turn 8 has already made a place for itself in track lore, it definitely deserves a fitting name.
A very good race, congratulations to Massa for a fantastic drive, and Alonso for capilalizing on opportunity, and keeping it all together.

Scuderia_Russ

It's great to see modern circuits producing such exciting racing! That's two exciting races in a row... what's going on?! Great for Massa, he was faultless all weekend really. Tough break for Kimi, I was a little worried when he didn't get out of the car immedialtely... thought he might have been winded. Nice to see Barrachello looking racey for a change after a pretty lame qually. Good to see a grandstand finish though, Alonso isn't happy with how much quicker Ferrari is over Renault. We'll see how much of a difference his new spec engine makes in a fortnight.
Fissi, Fissi, Fissi... :lol:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

RH1300S
RH1300S

I missed last year's race - first sight of the track. It's a real cracker, all you need is a little elevation change and some imagination..............eh Herman :wink:

I got a really warm feeling when Massa won........he drove a great weekend, in fact he's been very very good this year - well deserved and it was truly "won" in the best possible sense.

Michael is back to making his little "pressure" mistakes :roll: This was HIS race for the taking and he managed to screw it totally.....

Did anyone notice just how far Massa backed up in the last few laps? He was obviously getting into position just in case Michael got through FA....that must have been a hard thing to do :?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Funny thing I saw in SPEED's pre-race coverage, they put a little segment together with Peter Windsor asking various people about JV(Patrick Head, Jenson Button, Alonso...and Michael). Button of course mentioned the boy band comment and such. When they got to Michael though:

Peter: Can you say a few word about Jaques Villeneuve?
Michael: I am sorry I have a short memory.:D

Saribro
Saribro

DaveKillens wrote:Tilke finally got it right, this Turkey track is the best modern track ever.
Quite right. It's very nice to see a lot of the corners allowing different racing lines, it makes for much more interesting racing.
And Turn 8, well, good stuff. The small grass strip keeps the drivers from getting too presumptuous, and the run off asphalt behind it keeps a mistake from turning into a race-ending event.

Ciro Pabón

Saribro wrote:The small grass strip keeps the drivers from getting too presumptuous, and the run off asphalt behind it keeps a mistake from turning into a race-ending event.
I agree with you, except that this (I think) is no grass strip. It is green, but it seems to me like "open" asphaltic base. I would use it: after all, this kind of asphalt is able to drain water through it. Not that I think that it rains a lot there, but it would be crazy if it were grass.
Ciro

saam
saam

What a great race this was, even my girlfriend started watching it and she knows nothing about F1. Yes this race was SHUMI"S for the taking but none of us has mentioned yet that shui was stuck behind massa in the pits

What does this mean? well shumi could have got out of the car in the garage to relieve himslef and get back in to drive off, he lost a large amount of time in F1 terms and was clearly quicker than anyone on the track almost finishing 2nd.......not many drivers, mistakes or not would be able to recover quite like the 'rain master' can 8)

great job massa
Always FERRARI

Everyones an F1 expert........

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

On pace alone Ferrari probably would've beaten Renault easily, despite Michael's mistake in quali the race probably would still be his(pending Massa's position switch). The problem was Liuzzi's spin, which ended in a really bad location and forced a safety car, this meant there are not enough time for Michael to catch Massa and made a switch in the pit possible, nor is it possible to not pit Michael at the time and run long enough after the restart to gain the 20 odd seconds he needs. So stacking pitstop was the ONLY way they can keep both car close to the front to maximize constructor's point at that time without compromising either Massa or Michael's race. Then the sloppy second stint for Michael basically sealed the deal for Alonso....

Alonso owes Liuzzi a fruit basket or something....:D

Saribro
Saribro

Ciro Pabón wrote:I agree with you, except that this (I think) is no grass strip. It is green, but it seems to me like "open" asphaltic base. I would use it: after all, this kind of asphalt is able to drain water through it. Not that I think that it rains a lot there, but it would be crazy if it were grass.
Hm, it's possible that's it's not the same over the entire length of the corner (it's a triple apex, so quite long), but judging from the dirt that was thrown up from the cars I saw crossing the strip, it didn't seem like an asphalt kind of surface. Could be grasscrete or artificial grass, the former probably the more likely.

Tom

Another brilliant race, well done Massa, Alonso and even Michael. Also Ralfy, I saw something on Sunday that I have never seen, Ralf really trying like he means to win.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

mini696

Saribro wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:I agree with you, except that this (I think) is no grass strip. It is green, but it seems to me like "open" asphaltic base. I would use it: after all, this kind of asphalt is able to drain water through it. Not that I think that it rains a lot there, but it would be crazy if it were grass.
Hm, it's possible that's it's not the same over the entire length of the corner (it's a triple apex, so quite long), but judging from the dirt that was thrown up from the cars I saw crossing the strip, it didn't seem like an asphalt kind of surface. Could be grasscrete or artificial grass, the former probably the more likely.
Yep, there is a thin strip of grass (artificial or otherwise) that runs almost the full length of turn 8, there is a strip of green asphalt next to that. Right at the end of the turn the asphalt strip forms a "driveway" for wayward cars to rejoin the track.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Artificial grass or not, I really like how it is used. In fact, this system is in many corners. A rumble strip, then about a meter of green, then asphalt for a lot of run off. It allows the drivers to be brave, yet penalize them a slight amount of time if they get it wrong.
Many of us have been excited by turn 8, yet turn one is also very good, in that it's very tough.

mini696

DaveKillens wrote:Artificial grass or not, I really like how it is used. In fact, this system is in many corners. A rumble strip, then about a meter of green, then asphalt for a lot of run off. It allows the drivers to be brave, yet penalize them a slight amount of time if they get it wrong.
Many of us have been excited by turn 8, yet turn one is also very good, in that it's very tough.
I agree. Turn 12 is also a good one. I just like the track in general.

Notice during the race MS ran wide there, attempted to regain the track before the 'driveway', thought better of it and then entered the track in the 'proper' place. He lost 4 seconds that lap.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Did schumi upshift too early just before the finish line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVgqjsvv-w