Bahrain GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
P_O_L

Bahrain GP 2008

Since princi hasnt started a new go thread id thought lets begin one as there is news for thet gp;

as i predicted, the FIA would alter the qualifying rules before the end of the week and suprise suprise, they did :)

http://www.f1technical.net/news/8636

Cars must now return to the pits with a laptime within approximately 120% of their fastest qualifying lap.
Last Tango In Paris

Rob W

Re: GP Bahrain 2008

P_O_L wrote:as i predicted, the FIA would alter the qualifying rules before the end of the week and suprise suprise, they did :)
Good work.

I'm going to be a cynic and say that they had to - because after last week's events and with no rule changes a team who put in a respectable quali lap with five minutes to go could intentionally drive around the course right at the end of the session as if they were attempting another fast lap just to be able to catch their opponents out and then claim they were hindered unfairly. (It would be very hard to disprove wouldn't it? :? )

R

bhall
bhall

The change in the qualifying rules for Q3 is sensible. It makes no sense to allow situations where there can be such dangerous disparities in speed among the cars on track.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to the next grand prix, as I hope Ferrari can use their Winter testing data from the track to their advantage. On the same token, it wouldn't shock me at all, given Toyota's recent form, to have Trulli surprise and end up on the podium.

jaho101

Rob W wrote:
P_O_L wrote:as i predicted, the FIA would alter the qualifying rules before the end of the week and suprise suprise, they did :)
Good work.

I'm going to be a cynic and say that they had to - because after last week's events and with no rule changes a team who put in a respectable quali lap with five minutes to go could intentionally drive around the course right at the end of the session as if they were attempting another fast lap just to be able to catch their opponents out and then claim they were hindered unfairly. (It would be very hard to disprove wouldn't it? :? )

R
After what happened to Alonso in 2006 at Monza, I doubt that any team would risk it.

rkn

Mclaren have been handed a new slot in the pits, they will now be next to Force India! This results in smaller garages and less space for the mechanics than they are used to, but I don't think they will be affected negatively nevertheless.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/8645
Last edited by rkn on 31 Mar 2008, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

P_O_L

Im pretty shocked this is happening. It also raises the question why didnt this happen in melbourne and malaysia? Imo its a good move by the FIA. Apparently they where not happy with ecclestones intervention.
Last Tango In Paris

Tom

P_O_L said
It also raises the question why didnt this happen in melbourne and malaysia?
Well I suppoose that the race orgaisers position fans carefully along the grandstand in front of the pits (probably the most expensive tickets) so that all the Mclaren fans can easily see the Mclaren garage, the honda fan can easily see the Honda garage and the Tifosi are right outside the Scuderia box.
However it may have been possible to reposition alot of fans in Bahrain as the tickets would be issued later perhaps after events unfolded last year.

Autosport:
"In Bahrain we do our utmost to ensure that fans of each team get to sit opposite their favourite team's pit garages to see the action unfold," said the circuit's chief operating officer Sheikh Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa in a statement.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

SMP
SMP

ITV F1 has reports giving a different angle:
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=42164
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type ... z&id=42039

Summary: McLaren got permission from FIA and some of the smaller teams so that they may use garage#5 so that they may accommodate all their stuff and people.

Still not clear why this sudden change in their decision and whether individual circuits can decide where to place them for each remaining race.

Hi guys,
I am a long time visitor to this site but this is probably the first time I am posting to any forum ever. So please correct me if I make some etiquette related blunders.

(There - I've finally got rid of my inhibition to post something here!)

axle
axle

FOM told the Bahrain organisers that McLaren should go to the end of the pit lane....the Bahrain officials would have moved them upto 5th otherwise.

I'm at a loss at the moment as to why - maybe they don't think Ferrari will be dominant enough without further handicapping?! :roll:
- Axle

mcdenife
mcdenife

or it may just be because all of Bahrain garages are large enough to accommodates all of mclarens kit so there no need for them to have the 5th one if the last one is just as big.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Rob W

mcdenife wrote:or it may just be because all of Bahrain garages are large enough to accommodates all of mclarens kit so there no need for them to have the 5th one if the last one is just as big.
=D> We have a winner. I was just going to say that... Bahrain is a newer facility so they may be able to accommodate any team in any garage. It seems McLaren only avoided the last box at other circuits because of the size of their operation.

I'm partial to supporting McLaren (usually) but still think that they should have been made to use the last pit area all year in fairness to other teams.

R

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

F1Technical: Thursday press conference - Bahrain

Q: Can you get on the podium do you believe?

A: Jarno Trulli: "Oh yes. I took it easy because I know the way I am. Until I am in the car it is fine. When I have to get out I just have to take a little bit more time compared to the others because, physically, my body reacts in a different way. We have made some studies during the years and I just have to take it easy. I didn't have to get on the podium, so I took my time."
I'm guessing this answer is the long version of a possible shorter answer; which is.....Actually, I'm too old to be racing and shouldn't even be here anymore.

And what does he mean by he "didn't have to get on the podium" :? ? I agree in the fact that he doesn't have to, but as a race driver he most definately should want to.

The question I quoted came right after another question, which was if he reportedly was "pretty exhausted at the end of the last [Malaysia] race". It's situations like that that should be of concern in motorsport, old (for F1) and exhausted drivers instead of flexi-wings and/or flexible floors. Not only is Trulli endangering himself, but other people around him as well.

IMO
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Ray

mx_tifosi wrote:Not only is Trulli endangering himself, but other people around him as well.

IMO
So is DC in my opinion. I respect his talent, but not his attitude towards others mistakes.

bhall
bhall

I don't think Trulli is endangering anyone. I think he's been performing very well so far and is a big reason for Toyota's apparent coming of age.

I would also think it's quite normal to be exhausted after driving a grand prix in hot, tropical conditions such as Malaysia. Anything less implies that a driver isn't leaving it all on the track.

Giblet
Giblet

Good to have you SMP. But it says under your name it's your third post. :^o :D
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute