British GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Re: British Grand Prix 2008

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=r ... itesearch=#

In this google video you can see the incident better. It looks like Cahier was kneeling on Kimi's gear bag when Kimi turned round and down to get something from his bag (someone said his gloves). His helmet was obviously blocking his peripheral vision and he ran his head into Cahiers camera. The reaction was probably instinctive and provoked.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

the stig

Here's a little movie I made as a summary of the race with music and effects:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiY9nxo3V3Q[/youtube]

Enjoy. Let me know what you guys think...
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES

rkn

WhiteBlue wrote:[In Cahiers picture you can see a lot of the cabeling that Ferrari are using on their drivers. It is surely more than the visor heating that is a known feature of the Schuberth helmet introduced by Schumacher. Probably there is also head acceleration sensors and other gear that they may want to protect from being disclosed to other teams.
Ferrari also monitor the drivers hearts rates during the race. Don't know why though...

WhiteBlue

Heart rate monitoring makes a lot of sense to me. You will know if the driver is unwell or if he is distressed. As a team you can react by changing the way you communicate with him. There is no point to push a driver heavily if you know him to be up against a physical limit. You better calm him down and tell him to hold position or take it easy. It also can give you clues in a start situation how mental conditions correlate to start performance.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

JamesS
JamesS

I heard somewhere that an F1 drivers heartbeat peaks at around 170 ...

Pretty crazy stuff.

Miguel
Miguel

170 is probably the normal race rythm. In the start it probably gets to 200. A few years ago we got Alonso's heart rate in the course of a race during one of those pre-race clips. I'll try to find it, although keep in mind I'm really busy right now.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

bazanaius
bazanaius

peaking at 170 isn't that crazy.
For an average 20 y/o, max heart rate for sustained exercise is around 160bpm. These guys are incredibly fit, so I'd say 170bpm peak isn't as bad as I would have thought - although if they keep it up for 2hrs in a race thats pretty impressive :-)

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Finally dried out after Sunday. What a day. Must admit, we were getting a bit miserable after the Porsche race until the pit lane opened for the F1 cars. :D

Massa spun in front of us, twice, along with Kimi and Jenson (who did a complete 720 and kept his foot in to the delight of the crowd :shock: )
I am so glad that traction control is banned. The exit of Luffield, where we were, really gives brilliant viewing (and hearing) of top class throttle control (or not).

Below are some pics. Sorry no F1 close ups.
Diego Nunes (GP2) out at Copse

Raikkonen

Hamilton across the line (almost)

guy_smiley

Miguel wrote:170 is probably the normal race rythm. In the start it probably gets to 200. A few years ago we got Alonso's heart rate in the course of a race during one of those pre-race clips. I'll try to find it, although keep in mind I'm really busy right now.

Yeah you're right. Their heart rates are actually at their highest when they are sitting on the grid waiting for the lights to go out--just under 200 bpm. Then when they settle in during the race it stays around 170-180.
Smiles all 'round!

JamesS
JamesS

My heart rate gets pretty high just watching it on TV, most dangerous part of the race. I'd probably have a heart attack being sat in one of the cars.

jumaal
jumaal

Conceptual wrote:
Tom Castellani wrote:Apparently it was because the guy stepped on the umbrella on the floor. He didn't realise he was doing it and "Excuse me, could you take your foot off the umbrella" would have had the same effect. Plus it's an umbrella, no reason to chance damaging thousands of pounds worth of camera gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not THAT bothered about this. He did what he did, no one was hurt and worse things have happened in the world. What annoys me is the way people respond to this, apparently Kimi can do no wrong while Hamilton is consistently getting slated by news paper reporters who can't steer a damn shopping trolley.

All in all he could have handled the situation better, many other drivers would have.
The YouTube link is dead, but I think that I found the same vid on

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=r ... itesearch=#

If this is the vid that you are talking about, I would say that after the camera backs up, notice how close to the bag on the ground is in comparison to his feet, and realize that he shoved him backwards OVER that bag.

If he was in my face that closely when I am suiting up for a F1 Championship GP, I think that I would have delivered the message the same way. If he loses a small suit, big deal.

And I can guarantee that you will never see another photographer come between Kimi and his knapsack!

Chris
If we watch the video clip again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6e3bDs2lgw
Just before Kimi pushed the photographer over notice the reaction from Kimi's assistant/physio/companion (don't exactly know who he is...but have seen him with Kimi most of the time). He's almost yelling and pointing to the photographer suggesting he had stepped on something below nearby which may have provoked Kimi in pushing the photographer ultimately.

I guess it was just an accident and maybe Kimi didn't have enough tolerance to such incursions at that moment.
Thanks,

Jumaal

guy_smiley

I noticed Gordon Ramsay in the McLaren garage in the background of a shot of a few mechanics with a couple of laps to go. Anyone else catch that?
Smiles all 'round!

Spencifer_Murphy

Yeh, Gordon Ramsey goes to a few GP's a year...he was with the Mclaren team at Monaco this year also. He brings his family with him...must have been a great day out 4 them (on both occasions)..be he's some sort of Lucky Charm actually haha.

They had an interview with him on ITV's coverage on the grid with Martin Brundle also.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

freedom_honda