[MVRC] CCE GP001

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] CCE GP001

Post by CAEdevice » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 am

Koldskaal wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 am
On my car the front wing itself is not so much the problem, as the front wheel suspension members. They all have separation on the top and are the real cause of cptot loss of the cooling air.
if only one was allowed to angle these a couple of degrees...
It happens the same with my car. Also to lower the sospensions (maybe 50mm) would help.

machin

Post by machin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:14 pm

So, the last round is upon us.... and I never really felt like I got anywhere with the car... too much time trying to sort out that damn cooling! Indeed, the biggest change on this last version was also to the sidepods... the "top vents" are now removed again, and the internal "double-decker" ducts (maybe the eagle-eyed amongst you spotted them last time) in each duct are now adjusted, and visible through the cut outs in the side of the sidepods...

The only other change is to the diffuser profile... now featuring two "expansion zones" as spotted on some of the front runners...

The wings are clearly at least 30% down on downforce compared to the front runners... but I didn't change the front because at the moment the COP is too far forward, and I didn't change the rear because I am hoping the sidepod change will improve the rear wing downforce without requiring any changes to the wing itself.... time will tell...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

Post by variante » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm

What's the purpose of the double decker ducts?

machin

Post by machin » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 pm

variante wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm
What's the purpose of the double decker ducts?
Well it’s really just the result of adding a single long guide vane in the duct behind the heat exchanger... I think it looks like you had one there for COTA too (?), but mine is much longer, and inside a longer sidepod... so it effectively splits the duct into upper and lower portions... the reason for the longer sidepod is to try and limit the interaction with the rear wing...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH