Hi everyone, back again with the final update for issue 19. I've also finally got issue 20, so will be completing the model as soon as I get round to it. I'm going with the 'dynamic' display option on the replica section of track so busy trying to source a suitable scale figurine to put in the car.
So this weeks update will be on stage 67, the assembly of the instrument panel. Parts supplied with this stage were:
Engine cover (1), rear cover (2), various bodywork decals (3).
Parts required from previous stages were:
- Instrument panel front and rear, mixture/turbo boost control, data registration buttons (green and black), fire
extinguisher button, brake balance adjuster & switch sprue(Stage 64)
- Data display and rev counter display & monocoque assembly (Stage 65)
- Instrument panel labels (Stage 66)
Thought I'd include a few more detailed shots of the bodywork as well.
The above image also identifies one of the logos on the decal sheet I bought way back when.
67.1, the instrument panel: Pictured below are all the parts I need just as a reminder and to demonstrate the small scale. To use Strad's new favourite word, all of this stage was very fiddly, (for the none-native English speakers reading, it just means, small, technical, awkward etc).
Ok, so firstly the black and green data registration buttons were removed from the sprue, as well as the switches from the switch sprue. This was done carefully to avoid damaging them, I taped them all and pressed the knife down to avoid them getting shot off somewhere, cause once these get lost there would be no finding them again. Shown below against a scale ruler to give you an idea of the size.
Following this, the double switch was glued to the instrument panel. There was a right and wrong way to orientate this, so care was taken to get the 'wide' part at the back, with the switches themselves closer to the instrument panel front.
And the triple switch was glued in the same way on the bottom.
Next the instrument panel rear was prepare.
And glued to the back of the instrument panel.
And then one of the mixture/turbo boost controls was glued to the front of the instrument panel. (Top right in this photo below, see the initial photos for the before.)
And then the other mixture/turbo boost control was glued to the middle left portion.
And then the green data registration button was glued to the top left (very very small and hard to place. I did this over a white dinner plate so it would be easy to see if I dropped it. Spoiler alert, I did, several times lol)
And then the black data registration button was glued adjacent to the green one.
Following this, the fire extinguisher button likewise just below the registration buttons.
And then the radio control switch was fitted to the bottom right, quite hard to make out in the photo below due to it's size and the lighting.
And lastly the rev counter, display and decals were added to the instrument panel. Care was taken not to get glue on the front of the display/rev counter.
I'm actually really quite proud of how well this turned out, would've been super easy to tear a decal or damage them but I found the best way to cute them was to press the knife blade down firmly, as opposed to dragging the point like a normal knife cut. Haven't got any photos of the individual decals as I didn't want to lose any, but you can clearly see them in the photos of the panel.
Finally, 67.2 was the brake balance adjuster. Firstly the decal was applied with it still on the sprue to give me something to hold on to.
The adjuster was them removed from the sprue and glued to the monocoque.
And that's it for this week guys and girls. Thanks for reading as usual. As I mentioned at the start, I've got issue 20 finally so I'm ready to complete the model, will just take some time as I try and do it when I have natural light coming through the windows as it makes the photos better, and I don't get back from work in the evenings when it's dark so I only really have time at weekends, anyway, I ramble. I'll get to it as soon as I can, and then I'll also get to doing the display for it.