Formula Sketch SB-01 - ScottB

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ScottB
ScottB

Formula Sketch SB-01 - ScottB

Hello all!

Discovered this site a while back, and through it Formula Sketch. Having done a bit of CAD at uni I thought I'd give it a bash despite never having used Google Sketchup before...

Managed to finish my car just in time for the race, which was victory enough for someone that had little idea what they were doing haha it just missed out via the 109% rule in Quali today, but I still reckon that to be a good start...

So, my question is to the many insightful / knowledgeable posters on this site, any thoughts on the design as it is just now?

N12ck

Re: Formula Sketch SB-01

well, you need to try to make it a little less boxy around the middle section I think, its a great first attempt, :D
Budding F1 Engineer

ScottB
ScottB

Yeah, my plan is to redo the mid section as it's a bit... clunky. I did that bit first so it's probably most in need of a redux!

It managed a 1.29.5 in Quali, so better than HRT or Marussia :mrgreen:

jordangp

Personally, I cannot comment, as the images havn't come up. Unlucky in qualy today though!

ScottB
ScottB

jordangp wrote:Personally, I cannot comment, as the images havn't come up. Unlucky in qualy today though!
Weird, they don't show on my iPad but do on my laptop...

They can be found here also http://twitpic.com/photos/ScottTsukuru

I was fairly surprised my car was legal at the first attempt, never mind missing out by only a couple tenths, redesigning most of the car now, having learned a fair bit since I started there is room for improvement!

Monster_Energy_F1

Not bad Scott, however I'm pretty sure it's 107% rule not 109% :lol:

ScottB
ScottB

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:Not bad Scott, however I'm pretty sure it's 107% rule not 109% :lol:
Oh the shame... :oops:

RicME85

Not a bad first attempt, I feel your pain in trying to get a car built, I too stumbled across the game and this site.
My first aim was to get a car done, which I did just in time for the final test.
Now that I have got the car on the grid Im trying to refine my design to try and move further up the grid.

Hopefully you can get some updates on the car before the next race and hopefully we will see you on the grid for race day!

Monster_Energy_F1

Don't worry, you could say worse?

ScottB
ScottB

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:Don't worry, you could say worse?
Indeed!

Apparently my cars were allowed to race, but both retired, no more info than that up yet though...

Currently redesigning the sidepods, air box and diffuser, shall hopefully get the car within 107% :P

ScottB
ScottB

So, been busy today after the race, new side pods and rear body work, much curvier, should hopefully improve things... Next up a new airbox and tweaks to the wings and floor...

jordangp

One thing I would say is use the aerofoils in the starter pack to make your wings! You are just using single faces, which is probably why your performance is right down at the moment. Take a look at my front wing and rear wing as an example, to see what I mean.

ScottB
ScottB

jordangp wrote:One thing I would say is use the aerofoils in the starter pack to make your wings! You are just using single faces, which is probably why your performance is right down at the moment. Take a look at my front wing and rear wing as an example, to see what I mean.
Ah I see, so adding thickness to the parts effectively. Shall do!

The only thing that is really annoying me is the height of the drivetrain part of the model template, seems rather high compared to regular F1 cars, blocking a big chunk of the beam wing...

RicME85

Create your own gearbox, thats what I did for my latest version.

ScottB
ScottB

Ah sweet, I didn't know if it was a requirement or something like that!