Solidworks, Help!

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Solidworks, Help!

I am new to solid works and when i export my files from sketch up it says i need to select a component, is there anyone that can help me?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

RicME85

Re: Solidworks, Help!

check your mail, have sent a pm from a convo i had with astracrazy, should help

flynfrog

i didn't think you could export files directly from sketchup to SW.

astracrazy
astracrazy

yes you can

you need to get the solid inspector plug in (to make sure you have a complete water tight solid) then get the .stl exporter for sketchup. export your object/solid as an .stl. You can then import the .stl model into solidworks. you have to make sure its a solid else you'll get an error when running the solver

as far as i know thats the best way, i haven't found any other easier way

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

astracrazy wrote:yes you can

you need to get the solid inspector plug in (to make sure you have a complete water tight solid) then get the .stl exporter for sketchup. export your object/solid as an .stl. You can then import the .stl model into solidworks. you have to make sure its a solid else you'll get an error when running the solver

as far as i know thats the best way, i haven't found any other easier way
Ive been exporting as DWG
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy
astracrazy

ye i first done it like that, but it caused a lot of problems and took up a lot of time. the .stl way is much quicker and easier

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Does anyone know how to change the direction of the flow trajectories?

thanks
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy
astracrazy

on this screen you need to select external, then check the two check boxes at the top
you'll need to select gravity and it will give you a value something like -9.88...etc (this appears once you've selected it). Make sure you change this to the vertical axis. in this image its y. Make sure the other two axis are 0
i know you can't see it, but at the top you need to select air
here is where your problem is. In this picture lets use the z axis. because you want the air flowing in the direction of your model not in the direction of the z axis arrow (see bottom left) you'll need to put -75 in the velocity direction for axis x.
(or whatever m/s your running)

hope this makes sense? give me a shout once you've done it and i'll explain setting up goals to get your downforce and drag values

i don't claim to be a pro in solidworks, this is just what i've gained from youtube videos etc.
this is a good video, you can find part 2 easily. it gives you everything you need to know about running a test. it just misses out the gravity bit
http://youtu.be/ctBA_4rkhPo

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Your help has been brilliant astracrazy! ive managed to get simpe things working in solidworks, but i cant seem to get parts from sketchup, like my front work to work as it says it needs to be a component all the time, and im not sure if the solid inspector works.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Perhaps a silly question... but if you have a proper CAD package in Solidworks, why design in Sketchup to begin with?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

astracrazy
astracrazy

jersey: its much easier to use and the kvrc is run in sketchup. some use solidworks for our own testing

cottrell: are you getting any red/orange circles/line when you run the solid inspector?

RicME85

Sketchup is a lot more 'pick up and play' in its ease of use compared to Solidworks IMO.

I agree with Dan, astra you have come up good with the SW info, your pm's have helped me loads :lol:

astracrazy
astracrazy

no problem guys. the only thing i can't find how to do is get the center of pressure (which is used in the kvrc runs)

did you get solid inspector working? (to both of you)

RicME85

I did but still cant work out all the bits that need doing.
Seems there are too many issues with my rear wing so I'll just not bother trying to get it in to SW :lol:

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Yes, astracrazy i have everything sorted, just annoying when you have a sketchup model with a lot of faces trying to thicken them all :(. but other wise its all good except i don't think my results are right because i am not sure how to change the flow speed.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!