This year, I abandoned my tradition of waiting for Alonso’s car and made the decision to
build another 2014 model.
After reading your comments, I made yet another decision: to enlarge the scale from 1:26
to 1:18, which means the car will now be about 30 cm long (more precise measurements to
follow). I also introduced huge changes to my technique, looking at Paul’s deigns. So here we
go: another “journey” begins, the construction of Lewis Hamilton’s championship winning
Mercedes F1 W05. I hope you’ll join me and follow the process, commenting and sharing
your views along the way.
As usual, the first component to be built is the monocoque. As I said, the technique I use has
changed significantly. It is now closer to the structure of a real car. Another improvement is
the headrest, which will now be removable. This allows for a realistic, wide cockpit entrance.
Also, there are cutouts for the electric battery and oil tank.
Here are the first few pieces of the car:
This should be the fuel tank, however I didn’t build it. The structure forms the rear wall,
where the seat will sit
The inner side of the monocoque. You can see the steering column, the carbon fibre texture.
At the back, but hardly visible, are the supports for the nose. The K314 was my first car with
a removable nosecone, but it was a bit wobbly, so now I added supports.
The cockpit entry with CF texturing. Also, you can see the slots for the mirrors.
Here’s the lower half of the chassis, with the pedals. Sadly, there was very few info/pics on this
area, so it's not very detailed.
The two halves were bonded together. Next I covered it with a grey sheet.
Here, I covered the headrest with grey. It was a very complex piece of card. Also note the inner side
of the unconventional, bodied sidepods.
The airbox with its “ears” and supports was OK, but I had to rebuild it, because it was too
short. It will be different in the following pics.
The mirrors. Not much to say, but I tried to make them smoother than last time.
Here’s the airbox area, painted in dark grey. I also glued two black holders for the sidepod
I’m quite happy with the turning vanes.
And a couple of photographs of the completed monocoque. Sadly, the grey of the printed decals doesn't completely match the grey cardboard underneath. Also, the varnish isn't perfect. But apart from that, it's not a bad start.
That's it for now! Be sure to stick around for more! Next step
Thanks for watching