It's time for another car of mine, this time - the 2015 McLaren. I chose it because I knew it differs significantly from the F1 W05 and also because lots of info and pics are available. So here we go
My focus here was to work cleanly. By that I mean that there's been no real revolution since last time. Instead, I tried to improve symmetry, surface quality and proportions. Of course, some new details were also included. And, I tried to build with the system integration (how other components fit) in mind more than before.
The first step was to draw initial blueprints of the car viewed from the top, as well as monocoque side- and top views. Next, I used them to create the very first part of all - the monocoque's basic shape:
No notable details here, except for the rear end of the headrest area - it is curved so that the engine cover can fit snugly when the time comes.
It's sleeker on the inside too, if you compare it to the Merc:
Suspension: Dampers, rockers and an anti-rollbar for the first time + the steering column:
Pedals, with their cylinders at the back
Skipping a bit, here's the closed and covered cockpit. This large grey sheet had to be cut out of one piece and glued spot on, which I didn't manage at first. But after some unglueing...
The headrest area wasn't straightforward either. The piece covering it took me 5!
attempts + sanding after mounting. The airbox opening caused no such trouble. The still not mounted bodywork segments have gills (also new) which were quite tiny and thus hard to be positioned correctly.
Bodied sidepods, side impact structure (much stiffer than last time) and mirrors (also stronger, as they consist of two rather tahn one supporting pieces)
And the completed monocoque. The decals have almost a perfect grey which I'll only slightly alter when printing the next set. I'm also very pleased with the varnishing, for I used a new spray which conserved the cardboard well.
The front bulkhead area is quite tidy and so are the turning vanes. Only thing that irritates me is the close proximity of the nose's mounting points. We'll see about that.
Another view (after 175 pieces and 8 days)
That's it for now, I'll love comments
Work on the floor is already underway
Updates are also available on my website!