How feasible it is to build an electric car for the future

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
zak
zak

How feasible it is to build an electric car for the future

Hello everyone. I wonder how feasible it is to build a small electric car for the future(10 years) ?

For example, 20 years ago 8gb data space can be compared within a whole room but now it is with a size of a finger(usb flash). With this example i mean that after 10 years the same size electric drive's capacity will lead to drive not 1 day, but, lets say 3-4 days and there will be a huge demand on electric vehicles.

I am aware of Tesla, also of BMW and other big players' concepts but i am interested if it is possible to build such car on a high level even for a local environment.
How feasible it is to create a prototype of this electric vehicle?
What should i concern and what scale of expenditures it will demand,even approximately?
What technical aspects to mention?
What is a start point - design or a business plan or technical aspects, etc? Thank you

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: How feasible it is to build an electric car for the futu

Renault Zoe can be driven as a normal car, even accepts quick charges.

Current Lithium Ion batteries will increase their capacity. Other battery technologies are already found, which are better and cheaper and will be production ready in 10-20 years.

dans79

The biggest issue with electric cars right now, isn't the cars themselves, it's how the power they use is generated.
197 104 103 7

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Well some sources say, that the total co2 emission of a complete cycle, generating electricity from a high efficiency coal powerplant, transporting it to destination, charging the battery, powering the electric motor and driving the e-cars drive train. That that total cycle is emitting compared co2 levels, as a gasoline powered car.

If the power source is durable, like wind or solar power, or even a little more green as coal, like gas of bio waste, the electric car already wins.

Also the battery last a cars lifetime and can be recylced.

Only problem is which sources to trust.

autogyro
autogyro

Centralised power production is far more efficient than producing power on the vehicle and all liquid fuel comparisons miss the extra 50 percent of fuel use delivering the liquid fuel to the distribution network.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

zak wrote: ......For example, 20 years ago 8gb data space can be compared within a whole room but now it is with a size of a finger(usb flash). With this example i mean that after 10 years the same size electric drive's capacity will lead to drive not 1 day, but, lets say 3-4 days and there will be a huge demand on electric vehicles.
people were saying this sort of thing 50 years ago
(remember the official so-called 'energy crisis' started over 40 years ago, boosting the fashionable conservationism)
nothing much has changed, or will change, we just get another false dawn

the range of present EVs can be tripled by reducing battery life to one third of that presently enjoyed
they all limit range by restriction to use only about the middle third of the batteries capacity
the life is about 800 full cycles or 2000 '1/3rd' cycles
they all use the 2000 '1/3rd' cycles (about 8 years of commuting etc)

lighter, but otherwise not much better than lead/acid really
NiCads will give double this life and range (on a volumetric basis anyway), but are too expensive etc

the EV is rather pointless unless/until we have all our electricity from low carbon sources
though anyway, far more of our energy is used as heat, not electricity
replacing this heating (to decarbonise the world) will need about a 10000% increase in low carbon electricity production

zak
zak

Tommy Cookers wrote:
zak wrote: ......For example, 20 years ago 8gb data space can be compared within a whole room but now it is with a size of a finger(usb flash). With this example i mean that after 10 years the same size electric drive's capacity will lead to drive not 1 day, but, lets say 3-4 days and there will be a huge demand on electric vehicles.
people were saying this sort of thing 50 years ago
(remember the official so-called 'energy crisis' started over 40 years ago, boosting the fashionable conservationism)
nothing much has changed, or will change, we just get another false dawn

the range of present EVs can be tripled by reducing battery life to one third of that presently enjoyed
they all limit range by restriction to use only about the middle third of the batteries capacity
the life is about 800 full cycles or 2000 '1/3rd' cycles
they all use the 2000 '1/3rd' cycles (about 8 years of commuting etc)

lighter, but otherwise not much better than lead/acid really
NiCads will give double this life and range (on a volumetric basis anyway), but are too expensive etc

the EV is rather pointless unless/until we have all our electricity from low carbon sources
though anyway, far more of our energy is used as heat, not electricity
replacing this heating (to decarbonise the world) will need about a 10000% increase in low carbon electricity production
I understand, but the EVs era will come one day anyway cause we will totally exploit oil reserves. The only option that seem to be more executable - is electric energy based on carbon emission. Not solar,wind or any other alternative energy types.

If there is a possibility to use an electric vehicle for more than 3-4 days i would buy such call. All people will do.

And if there is such demand, why not to invest our money,brains and effort in exploration of this sphere? Personally i would like to build a small car as an exhibit but i dnt know how possible it is.

autogyro
autogyro

How about 200 years ago
Perfectly usable four wheel drive electric town vehicle late 18oos.
Of course they would have you believe that liquid fuel from oil is essential.
It is not

zak
zak

I understand your points but one day we will totally use up oil and the only executable source of energy will become electric energy based on carbon emission, not solar or wind or any other types of alternative energy. Thus, why not to invest our money,brains and effort in this sphere? Personally, i would like to build an exhibit based on an electric drive that we will have in 10 years. To demonstrate that it is possible to drive a car whole week on one charge with no problem.

Jolle
Jolle

I think the problem with storage and producing electricity will be gone in the next decades. A solar field the size of France at the equator is more then enoug to supply the whole world in their power hunger.

Looking at the car itself. The last few decades we made enormous jumps in efficiency. My w115/8 from '71 has 50HP, does 10l/100 km and weighs about 1200kg. Top speed around. 140km/h. My w204 c320cdi from '07 has 225HP, does 6l/100km, weighs about 1500kg. Top speed 250km/h.
But the biggest change between those two is that the w204 is being designed to hit a concrete wall at ridiculous speed and I will survive without a scratch.
If we would design cars that can't crash anymore, just imagine if a airplane would have to be crash tested. They would be so heavy they wouldn't be able to fly anymore, you could have a very efficient luxury car that would weigh around 500kg.

Going further with those theories, looking at tires for instance. We only use around 20% of their capabilities for most of the time. If there would be systems to so you could use your car as efficient as possible, you could slim down tires, engines, weight, etc etc.

Cars now aren't designed to drive efficiently but they are designed to crash.

Plus there is another revolution going. We, as petrolheads love our cars, the idea of freedom, controlling the beast, having raw power. This place is being taken by the smartphone. Being in a car (I already see it with my kids) is inefficient because they are off line. They create their own world in public transport, like we do in our car.
The car is becoming rapidly less important. So maybe the question shouldn't be, will cars go electric, but, will there still be cars?

cirrusflyer

I think that EV are just middle step.
Go look what Toyota had put on the road for 66000€. 3000 wehicles ordered.
Mirai with H2 as a fule and 155 HP. One refuling (120 l) for 500 to 600 km. And hydrogen you can get everywhere.
Fulecell produces electricity for electric engenes. Lots of torqe and enough power for out of the world car.
In 10 years the price will probably be half of todays.
I think that is the future.
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

autogyro
autogyro

A section of motorway has been set aside for the idea that I had some 20 years ago.
The government has invested a substantial sum to develop the idea.
A mains power system is fitted into the roadway and the EV recharges by induction as it moves.
Concept is simple.

DaveW
DaveW

The concept works for some applications, and has for some time...

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

autogyro wrote: .....A mains power system is fitted into the roadway and the EV recharges by induction as it moves.
Concept is simple.
such dynamic charging (charging at a distance) is at best 85% efficient - according to recent trials of such a system on buses in Korea
(surprisingly but conveniently there is no possible adverse health impact of intense EM fields just below passenger seats)
and surprisingly but conveniently, everyone's forgotten the hitherto well-known talent of EVs in using off-peak electricity

stationary systems with precision docking of inductor plates are maybe 93-95% efficient

these (in)efficiencies are apparently relative ie additional to the such (in)efficiencies that are in wire-connected charging

so why do we need EVs (with good range) until we are in sight of the decarbonisation of all electricity ?
and the decarbonisation of all energy consumption eg heat ?

the UK is now to run with a margin of 1.2% peak generating capacity over planned peak demand ..... but wait !
Ms Rudd, the dewy-eyed Minister, has today announced imminent removal of all UK coal-fired power ! (28% of capacity)
'to show our Green credentials to the World'

Tim.Wright

Tommy Cookers wrote:so why do we need EVs (with good range) until we are in sight of the decarbonisation of all electricity ?
and the decarbonisation of all energy consumption eg heat ?
There no point in pausing EV development until the grid is "carbon free" - the 2 technologies (carbon free electricity and EV's) need to be developed in parallel. EV's need, say, another 10 years of development to surpass ICE vehicle's in almost every way. We can start chipping away at that 10 years now - or we can wait until the grid becomes carbon free - what do you think makes more sense??

Regarding the range of EVs - this is not their main problem. Rather it's the time taken to recharge that's the killer. If it was 5 min to recharge, even a range of 300km is fine for 99% of motorists.
Not the engineer at Force India