[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin
178
User avatar
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by machin » Tue May 08, 2018 12:44 pm

I've not heard anything from Andre recently.... I'll send him an E-mail....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm

I hope André is doing well and he is just overworked. I'd like to hear from him: I have many ideas to discuss about.

LVDH
27
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by LVDH » Fri May 18, 2018 11:13 am

Hi guys,
I am back. I was super overworked. Beside my company, my child, I had to find and move into a new place. In addition to that I had to do quite some renovation work. So the last months were only working and at some point collapsing to sleep. But I am finally getting hold of things again. Yesterday I even started work on the new MantiumFlow MVRC 2018 edition. The biggest rule change I want for the new season needed quite some work in the software and that is done now. So with the hardest part out of the way, I will today work on a new version of the homepage. This will include the new rules, but they will at best be released next week. As a schedule with a race every month is a bit too hard on me, It might be that the new season extends into early 2019. I will try my best to do some research on the heat exchanger coefficients. I have real data from real race cars but I remember that there were some tricks related to the MVRC cars. Also I will look into less restricted rules about the rotation but cannot promise anything as the software needs to keep everything accessible for the competitors. Like last year we are already too late into the year so I will try to hurry. Maybe some new improved features will simply have to wait for racing into the season.
I will let you know and send out an email as soon as you can register for the new season. This time there will be one requirement, so maybe some of you want to get started on that: You will have to submit a render of you car for the team section on the homepage .

Alonso Fan
42
User avatar
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by Alonso Fan » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 am

LVDH wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:13 am
Hi guys,
I am back. I was super overworked. Beside my company, my child, I had to find and move into a new place. In addition to that I had to do quite some renovation work. So the last months were only working and at some point collapsing to sleep. But I am finally getting hold of things again. Yesterday I even started work on the new MantiumFlow MVRC 2018 edition. The biggest rule change I want for the new season needed quite some work in the software and that is done now. So with the hardest part out of the way, I will today work on a new version of the homepage. This will include the new rules, but they will at best be released next week. As a schedule with a race every month is a bit too hard on me, It might be that the new season extends into early 2019. I will try my best to do some research on the heat exchanger coefficients. I have real data from real race cars but I remember that there were some tricks related to the MVRC cars. Also I will look into less restricted rules about the rotation but cannot promise anything as the software needs to keep everything accessible for the competitors. Like last year we are already too late into the year so I will try to hurry. Maybe some new improved features will simply have to wait for racing into the season.
I will let you know and send out an email as soon as you can register for the new season. This time there will be one requirement, so maybe some of you want to get started on that: You will have to submit a render of you car for the team section on the homepage .
Hi! Nice to see you're still alive! That's good news.

Also I'm very happy that the season got delayed this much because if we got started earlier I wouldn't have been able to put much time towards the championship. Now my exams have started and should be done in a few weeks.
MVRC - SHM Racing

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 am

Hi LDVH, I am happy to see you again.

About the HX rotation: I find very easy to compute the vector that defines the direction with the CAD and than to manually edit the "fvOptions" file.

Number of races: three races with a high level of design and simulation would be more than enough in my opinion.

astracrazy
50
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by astracrazy » Fri May 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would touch base (I was part of the original staff of KVRC). I do pop over and have a look at hows its going every now and then.

Hows it all going? Looks like your doing some amazing things with videos etc now?

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 pm

astracrazy wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:38 pm
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would touch base (I was part of the original staff of KVRC). I do pop over and have a look at hows its going every now and then.

Hows it all going? Looks like your doing some amazing things with videos etc now?
Hi, I remeber you, I'm glad you read this forum again.

The most important news are: now the cars are LMPx based (I think in 2018 too), and the heat exchangers are simulated with porous media (this makes a lot of difference about realism). LDVH provided a new fantastic software for preparing the OpenFOAM case. Variante and JJR are still fighting for the podium as they have done since the first KVRC season. Chris is part of the staff now and I am pretty sure he could have won many races if he had decided to design a car.

machin
178
User avatar
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by machin » Fri May 18, 2018 3:11 pm

... And Matteo has become the car designer to beat! 😉 👍
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

astracrazy
50
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by astracrazy » Fri May 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Ah yes, I remember helping with the rule book when you changed over from F1 style.

Wow awesome. Is there many of you competing?

How long does it take you to run cfd on a model now? Are most still designing in sketchup or is that old school now? :lol:

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 pm

machin wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:11 pm
... And Matteo has become the car designer to beat! 😉 👍
Yes, but I am currently in a crisis of creativity :?

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Fri May 18, 2018 4:23 pm

astracrazy wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:23 pm
How long does it take you to run cfd on a model now? Are most still designing in sketchup or is that old school now? :lol:
I don't remember exactly, but I used to set the "auto switch off" utility of my workstation around 8h/9h (64gb RAM and 6 cores dedicated to OpenFOAM).

Many partecipants (including me, except a bit of Creo Parametric) use Solidworks, but one or two use Catia or NX (they are ready for F1). I think that half the cars are still designed with SketchUp.

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 am

Hi, I launched a simulation with the old software: I have the suspect that a Windows update could cause a issue with the parallel solver:

Code: Select all

FOAM parallel run exiting
.
142
cellSetOption/cellSetOption.C
[0] 

.
 at line 

[1] 

142

FOAM parallel run exiting
[2] 
.
[1] 

FOAM parallel run exiting


[2] 
[3] 


FOAM parallel run exiting
[3] 

job aborted:
[ranks] message

[0] application aborted
aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD (comm=0x44000000), error 1, comm rank 0

[1] application aborted
aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD (comm=0x44000000), error 1, comm rank 1

[2] application aborted
aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD (comm=0x44000000), error 1, comm rank 2

[3] application aborted
aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD (comm=0x44000000), error 1, comm rank 3

---- error analysis -----

[0-3] on DESKTOP-ICA780B
simpleFoam aborted the job. abort code 1

---- error analysis -----
EDIT: Problem solved after reinstalling.

I am working on a new concept of "semi parametric" open source car

LVDH
27
User avatar
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by LVDH » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:46 am

Hi guys,
small update:
I was busy with these new and super cool GDPR / DSGVO stuff and my taxes. The Challenge page still needs a few updates such as having a double opt-in when you sign up for the challenge. All this is obviously not very productive but somehow has to get done. I hope to get the rest done this weekend and then move on to what will be more interesting for you guys. A cloud version of MantiumFlow might not be far away and could be announced at ISC in Frankfurt shortly.

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:27 pm

I hate taxes, they bring out my anarchic spirit.

Thanks for working on the next edition. Is there any news about the calendar? I am not completely sure about my availability for the first race.

I am also considering to be a sponsor again (I hope not the only one). A preliminary question: is there any partecipant interested in crypto currencies? I have a hunch about the prize.

CAEdevice
35
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:33 pm
Location: Erba, Italy

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post by CAEdevice » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 pm

This could be an idea for a new race.

What does our track architect Machin think about it? High downforce or efficiency track (considering our engines)?

https://youtu.be/CkdepmXzbKc