[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

LVDH wrote:It has gotten very quiet here, is nobody working or is the software doing its job and nobody has to complain?
BTW 90% of the images can now be produced in off-screen mode. I am only missing the plots.
I was going to run some simulations with the intro car but can't run the software due to Win10 Creator Update (I'm on Windows Insider so had it when it was first pushed well before Matteo's warning). Since then I have had a HDD issue so need to do a clean install so will dual boot Win10 and either Win7 or Linux for the sim runs.

etsmc
etsmc

LVDH wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 10:51
The floor is at Z=-0.0455mm. Does this help?
Perfect Thanks.

One thing I think would be nice to have in the post processing tool it the ability to have the streamlines like we were getting in the official results. I think it would assist people with the development of cooling ducts and other things.
Would this be a possibility?

rjsa
rjsa

etsmc wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 01:06
LVDH wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 10:51
The floor is at Z=-0.0455mm. Does this help?
Perfect Thanks.

One thing I think would be nice to have in the post processing tool it the ability to have the streamlines like we were getting in the official results. I think it would assist people with the development of cooling ducts and other things.
Would this be a possibility?
You can do it yourself with paraview, it's pretty straightforward.

etsmc
etsmc

I was aware it can be done in preview but the post processing tool would be a great place to do it and makes it easier for people to analyse their car in one place.
Plus the machine I am running on is slow and preview brings it to a crawl.

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 04:43
I was aware it can be done in preview but the post processing tool would be a great place to do it and makes it easier for people to analyse their car in one place.
Plus the machine I am running on is slow and preview brings it to a crawl.
I think you are talking about the LIC representations. And yes, I want them back as well. I early versions of last years software the post-processing was done with Paraview scripts. There were however many issues with different Paraview versions on different systems. At some point I started my own post-processor, which uses VTK (just like Paraview). The only disadvantage I saw was that I was not able to create visualizations with LIC. Until today I cannot do it. So if someone wants to dig into it a bit, I am happy about some help.
Streamlines are another question. They is easy to implement and will happen soon. It is only a matter of time. But you might be waiting for other features such as rotatable radiators.

rjsa
rjsa

Rotatable radiators <3

Ft5fTL

It seems that the new software doesnt give the cop results. What is the formula?
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

rjsa
rjsa

Ft5fTL wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 18:47
It seems that the new software doesnt give the cop results. What is the formula?
=(3/(1+(ClFwd/ClRwd)))

etsmc
etsmc

Found this today. not a great deal of info but seem to be actual images of cfd studies on an lmp car.
http://mdx2.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /ORECA.pdf

etsmc
etsmc

Very quiet here again I guess everyone is busy working away on their cars.
I have made some more progress and very happy with my cooling at the moment and getting more than the required flow. Development of the front of the car has been the focus trying to get a good balance.
A lot of reading has been done into airfoil development and flap placement so hopefully this year I can produce downforce with minimal drag.
Still, some work to be done due to the change of the front end I need to come up with suspension covers, the aim is for them not to impede flow to cooling or at least minimise their effect.

Ft5fTL

Nice development. Airfoil was my focus too on off season. I suggest using QBlade for creating Airfoils. It's fast and has some tools that helps getting info about the design.

I'm too having some trouble on creating downforce on the front end at the moment.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc
etsmc

Ft5fTL wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 16:33
Nice development. Airfoil was my focus too on off season. I suggest using QBlade for creating Airfoils. It's fast and has some tools that helps getting info about the design.

I'm too having some trouble on creating downforce on the front end at the moment.
QBlade looks quite interesting. Haven't looked at creating my own airfoils been researching and finding ones that should fit the bill.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Cannot wait to see the cars. I speak for the non-participants here, but please share with us details of your creations. Your design choices, results, and so on. It is the only thing we have to keep us interested, and I am sure a lot of people don't post here, but follow your progress.

:)

P.S.: I found a bit of time in the next coming weeks to create a new car, so I will start to work on it soon, for this year I won't be able to enter the competition, but maybe for the last round, we will see. :)

rjsa
rjsa

I had a pretty good car for Monaco but the new software got me lost. Front diffuser is choking and nothing I try seems to make a difference. Let's see if I can balance it until the race.

etsmc
etsmc

MadMatt wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 10:31
Cannot wait to see the cars. I speak for the non-participants here, but please share with us details of your creations. Your design choices, results, and so on. It is the only thing we have to keep us interested, and I am sure a lot of people don't post here, but follow your progress.

:)

P.S.: I found a bit of time in the next coming weeks to create a new car, so I will start to work on it soon, for this year I won't be able to enter the competition, but maybe for the last round, we will see. :)
have a look at http://mantiumchallenge.com/caeses/ and the intro class, really good way to get into the challenge and start scoring points then when you have time move up to the open class.