[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

OK guys, it is time for MVRC 2018.

It is possible to register here: https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-register-2018/
Three teams have already signed up and can now download the new software. Lets hope that it works.

There are already a bunch of questions in the 2017 thread I would like to answer here:
CAEdevice wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 19:16
Hi, I have just received the email for the registration. Thanks!

I have some doubts:

1) HX: still only Y rotation? It looks odd: it is very simple to tweak the option file and set an arbitray direction (that could be automatically computed by almost any CAD)
I am working on this. I do not like the users having to specify which direction they chose. Implementing it into software the way I want it is also not that difficult. Keeping a fast algorithm is. I will have something at around race three though.

CAEdevice wrote:
2) Required rendering for the registration: would it be ok a picture of 2017 car with the official livery of the 2018 car? I don't have a 2018 car ready now...
Yes, in fact the first submitted renders are a bit below what we saw from last year. I understand that doing it in one day is difficult and nobody wants to reveal too much. Keep in mind that you can always send in new images for the team page. The better it looks the more fans you will get.

CAEdevice wrote:
3) Calendar: the first three races are on "efficiency" tracks, the last two seems to be on "extreme df" tracks. Why has the order been changed?
Well I thought Pikes Peak as the finally for this year would be great. And I think apart from that and the first race we now align with real world motor sports events.

CAEdevice wrote:
4) Calendar: cars will be completely redesigned with the new rules (the possibility to set a rake angle changes everything), I fear that less than a month will not be enough to develop the cars (I don't think I will have a customer's car ready for the first race)
I pushed it a bit forward of what I am currently comfortable with. I just thought you guys would be happy to get going again. If others agree I can push it back a week or even two. The rest should stay though.

schwepes wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 19:31
Questions regarding rake.
1. Car should fulfill rules at 0deg and then it's rotated?
Yes, you will send in the car as you design it. I will be checked while in 0 deg rake. The CFD software later changes it.

schwepes wrote:
2. What about suspension templates? Are they rotated with bodywork?
Only the wheels remain fixed, so yes, the suspension parts rotate as well.

schwepes wrote:
3. What is rotation axis? (Edit: found, around Y-axis)
Yes, Y around the front wheel center.

etsmc wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 06:52
just reading the new rules and looking at the template files and noticed a possible discrepancy.

Bodywork must completely enclose these provided parts:

Cockpit template
Engine template
Gearbox template
Footbox template

yet the gearbox extends past the bodywork volume by 100mm

All modeled geometry is considered as bodywork unless otherwise specified. No bodywork is allowed outside the bodywork volume unless otherwise specified.

it is not possible to cover the gearbox with bodywork.
am I reading this wrong or have I missed something?
I knew that if I do not address this in the invitation email this would happen. Somehow I was not able to shorten the transmission with my CAD software. Maybe someone here can take the step file, shorten it and send it to me. This is simply inability on my side. Design your cars with a 100mm shorter transmission in mind.

etsmc wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 06:52
Also, where are we rotating the car for the rake?? is it rotated from the forward most point of the car (950mm in front of the FWCL) or at the FWCL.
Around Y at the front wheel center.

CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Hi, the STEP file is an assembly of "solid bodies" and "surfaces" and not an "assembly of (named) parts": the names of the parts are not visible.

I am working on it and I will send a link to download the "assembly of parts" version. About the gearbox: I just have to cut to the volume that is out of the general dimensions template or I have to rescale it? I think the first option is mor realistic (it it more an impact structure than a gearbox carter).

CAEdevice

It would be very useful to have a "press kit" with all the logos in jpg o png format (eventually with transparent background).

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 09:58
Hi, the STEP file is an assembly of "solid bodies" and "surfaces" and not an "assembly of (named) parts": the names of the parts are not visible.

I am working on it and I will send a link to download the "assembly of parts" version. About the gearbox: I just have to cut to the volume that is out of the general dimensions template or I have to rescale it? I think the first option is mor realistic (it it more an impact structure than a gearbox carter).
Ah, just cut it.

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:01
It would be very useful to have a "press kit" with all the logos in jpg o png format (eventually with transparent background).
I am on it.

CAEdevice

Hi, you can find an improved release of the templates MVRC 2018 here:

STEP (fixed surfaces with issues when importing i SWX, updated gearbox, named parts/bodies)
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _rev01.stp
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2018/cfd_parts.stp

SWX (Only for SWX2018 users, same geometry but with parametric placement of front suspensions and footbox, auto mirror function in each part)
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _users.zip

I hope it could help!

PS: Could LDVH confirm my registration?
Last edited by CAEdevice on 12 Jul 2018, 10:08, edited 2 times in total.

CAEdevice

I am testing the old car parametric model in order to complain the new rules.

The new bodywork volume is ok, the shorter overhangs makes the car aesthetically better, with the exception of the rear "step" that is in my opinon too rough and not harmonized.

I think that cars will look better without the step (or with a chamfer instead of the step to avoid problems with the rake option) and a rear overhang even shorter.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:15

PS: Could LDVH confirm my registration?
Mailchimp should have asked if you really want to sign up. Didn't that happen? Previously registered users will probably not see information from MantiumChallenge.com as I only reactivate them. You are in.
So far Pure Power Racing did not sign up for the MVRC Challenge newsletter. This is fine but keep in mind that it informs you about the races and the link to where to send the car. I made it a bit more obvious that this should be done.

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:15
Hi, you can find an improved release of the templates MVRC 2018 here:

STEP (fixed surfaces with issues when importing i SWX, updated gearbox, named parts/bodies)
www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2018/mvrc ... _rev01.stp
www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2018/cfd_parts.stp

SWX (Only for SWX2018 users, same geometry but with parametric placement of front suspensions and footbox, auto mirror function in each part)
www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2018/Temp ... _users.zip
Thanks for this. I will check it out later.

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 11:41
I am testing the old car parametric model in order to complain the new rules.

The new bodywork volume is ok, the shorter overhangs makes the car aesthetically better, with the exception of the rear "step" that is in my opinon too rough and not harmonized.

I think that cars will look better without the step (or with a chamfer instead of the step to avoid problems with the rake option) and a rear overhang even shorter.
You are free to design a beautiful car inside of the volume. You do not have to keep it that edgy. When thinking about redesigning the rear so it works with the new rake option I took inspiration from the current LMP cars. So take it as more realism for the championship.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:01
Mailchimp should have asked if you really want to sign up. Didn't that happen?
Yes, thanks
LVDH wrote: You are free to design a beautiful car inside of the volume. You do not have to keep it that edgy. When thinking about redesigning the rear so it works with the new rake option I took inspiration from the current LMP cars. So take it as more realism for the championship.
I am not sure that it will be possible to replicate the LMP1 style with the step (LMP1 have mandatory volumes, I suppose, there). But you are right, I should think to perfomance and not to aesthetics.

CAEdevice

Sorry, I have another question (I am trying to put togheter a "legal" car in 10 days beacuse I will be aout of office in two weeks untill August 5th).

Will poruosity parameters of the HX will be te same as in 2017 or they will change significantly?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 15:12
Will poruosity parameters of the HX will be te same as in 2017 or they will change significantly?
They will stay the same for now.

schwepes

Question regarding new bodywork template.
Diffuser with strakes need to be within bodywork template?
https://imgur.com/a/uXRfuEv
https://imgur.com/a/Eppk4km

wpsiatwin

When Is the deadline for registering?

etsmc

so how exactly are we setting the rake?? do we need to model it with the rake already built in or do we model it with 0deg and then set the rake in the software?

Ft5fTL

etsmc wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 01:37
so how exactly are we setting the rake?? do we need to model it with the rake already built in or do we model it with 0deg and then set the rake in the software?
On the settings there is a rake column. I guess that is where you set the rake.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc

Ft5fTL wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 02:46
etsmc wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 01:37
On the settings there is a rake column. I guess that is where you set the rake.
so software, cool!
not been able to log in yet so cant download the new version of the software

time to get working on changes to the car to fit the new rules. Let's see if we can have something workable for the first race.. good luck people.

If anyone is still using SketchUp I have a SketchUp file with all the templates and guides in that I can send out.