[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

I like the mini wing above the exhaust on the JJR car. He is taking every small bit of downforce he can get. And he seems to be doing something smart in his rear wheel wells. They are always different from the other cars.

CAEdevice

Another interesting image:

machin

LVDH wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 12:01
I like the mini wing above the exhaust on the JJR car. He is taking every small bit of downforce he can get. And he seems to be doing something smart in his rear wheel wells. They are always different from the other cars.
On the negative side... I think it's the first time I've thought the front of JJR's car looks a bit ugly.... :lol:
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Yeah, but those two nostrils go somewhere...

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 12:08
Another interesting image:

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2 ... wing_2.jpg
On one side, this comparison worries me: seeing you not using the full Rear Wing volume might mean that Daytona is more an efficiency track than i thought, and my car is outside the range of optimal configuration.
On the other side it might be an indicator that you two did not manage to find enough front downforce, therefore did not need to balance it with a huge Rear Wing.

In either case, i think my car will be the one with the greatest amount of downforce. Let's see...

What i find interesting is also your diffusers' outlets. Their area is much smaller than mine. It looks like you don't care about the final upward kick, and instead you are favoring something else, like vortex management (and longevity).

LVDH wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 16:19
Yeah, but those two nostrils go somewhere...
Where?! Where?!?

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 18:34
On one side, this comparison worries me: seeing you not using the full Rear Wing volume might mean that Daytona is more an efficiency track than i thought, and my car is outside the range of optimal configuration.
On the other side it might be an indicator that you two did not manage to find enough front downforce, therefore did not need to balance it with a huge Rear Wing.
I think the second option is more probable
In either case, i think my car will be the one with the greatest amount of downforce. Let's see...
I have no idea about the numbers, it is the first time I am so confused
What i find interesting is also your diffusers' outlets. Their area is much smaller than mine. It looks like you don't care about the final upward kick, and instead you are favoring something else, like vortex management (and longevity).
Simply I had no advantages with a larger diffuser outlet

Ft5fTL

CAEdevice wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 11:53
If the cars were all perfectly balanced and without flow separation, my guess (looking at the rear wing) would be:

1) Variante
2) JJR
3) Pure Power
I had to trim the rear wing and add some diveplanes for getting better CoP as a last minute change. I dont think my car will go further than 4th as usual.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

LVDH

Fourth place is pretty good. those top three cars are just too far ahead. Next season will see new cars and then everyone will have to start from scratch. And maybe there is a big surprise waiting for Pikes Peak. The cars might need some additional downforce to not fall off the mountain...

Anyway, the scrutineering results are out:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... tona-2018/
While there were some warnings for minor issues, SHM unfortunately won a penalty in the comeback for two violations regarding the floor, which probably gave quite some additional downforce.

LVDH

So, after a funny email from JJR, I noticed a funny bug in Wordpress. You can all check out the Pikes Peak rules here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-2018- ... ikes-peak/
The rules were supposed to stay private a bit longer, as I was still discussing them with Richard. Well, now these are the rules. In addition, Richard will send the CoG of the car a bit backwards, as it would be at that track. For this, he has to update the timing tool. This will happen soon. I am working pretty hard on MantiumFlow but will not send out an update for this season anymore. You will notice some of the changes in the report you will get for the next race. CFD is almost done, so you will see who won this Sunday. The new MantiumFlow version will be released for the new MVRC season, with a lot of changes and improvements.

Have fun with the Pikes Peak rules. I hope to see some large wings.

etsmc
etsmc

I had just about given up on my 2018 car and i know i am going to be down on power for this race, i was tempted to submit the same car for the last race and just wait on the 2019 rules. But now i have to work on the car... Wow cant wait..still wont be able to keep pace with the top teams at PP but will give it a good go.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 10:03
So, after a funny email from JJR, I noticed a funny bug in Wordpress. You can all check out the Pikes Peak rules here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-2018- ... ikes-peak/
The rules were supposed to stay private a bit longer, as I was still discussing them with Richard. Well, now these are the rules. In addition, Richard will send the CoG of the car a bit backwards, as it would be at that track. For this, he has to update the timing tool. This will happen soon. I am working pretty hard on MantiumFlow but will not send out an update for this season anymore. You will notice some of the changes in the report you will get for the next race. CFD is almost done, so you will see who won this Sunday. The new MantiumFlow version will be released for the new MVRC season, with a lot of changes and improvements.

Have fun with the Pikes Peak rules. I hope to see some large wings.

MVRC is addictive, even if I think I have no chance for the championship, I can not stop thinking about the improvements of the car.

The new rules for Pikes Peak will make the competitors closer (it is easier to design a good big wing than an efficient floor), but I do not think the classification will change very much.

I can't wait for next year rules: I think the role of the CFD solver and mesher will be even more important, because with F1 styled cars, vortices management will be mandatory (currently I think only Variante uses vortices, and in a lesser way also CAEdevice and JJR). I use vortices in the underfloor volume, but I decided to not use them over the upper surfaces of the car because it sometimes happened to have convergence issues (may it depends on mesh settings?)

machin

I think Andre (LVDH)'s idea to mix up the rules a bit for Pikes Peak is really great. I will adjust the car's centre of gravity 5% back to give a split of 40:60%, this will give the cars good traction coming out of the hairpins, but you should obviously aim to get your Downforce balance in harmony with the mass (i.e. also 40:60 front to rear). I will update Virtual Stopwatch with this feature over the weekend, but first we must see how the cars go at Daytona!

EDIT: one point: Andre has made sure that a car which is compliant with the normal 2018/2019 rules will also be compliant with the Pikes Peak event rules; so there is no mandatory requirement to change your cars, but of course, you will be at a disadvantage if you don't!

EDIT 2: I hope that we see some solutions like these:

PIKES PEAK BIG WINGS
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Please keep in mind that some of the warnings and the corrected CoP calculation in MantiumFlow are not for the new rules. So you will have to manually adjust CoP and ignore some potential warnings.

CAEdevice

I would keep 1.65 as cop/com for the cars running with frontal heated changers and 1.80 for cars with hx behind the rear wheels axle: it would be more realistic.

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
30 Jan 2019, 09:12
Fourth place is pretty good. those top three cars are just too far ahead. Next season will see new cars and then everyone will have to start from scratch. And maybe there is a big surprise waiting for Pikes Peak. The cars might need some additional downforce to not fall off the mountain...

Anyway, the scrutineering results are out:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... tona-2018/
While there were some warnings for minor issues, SHM unfortunately won a penalty in the comeback for two violations regarding the floor, which probably gave quite some additional downforce.
Ah my bad. Submitted at the last minute and forgot the text file. Also was my first time modelling in sketchup for 3 years, modelled the floor without the guides...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa