F1 in Schools Help - basizeland's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
greenpower dude reloaded

Re: F1 in Schools Help

I've been following this thread with great interest. Well done!! When I was at school about 6years ago they gave me a big Jaguar F1 branded box full of information on F1 in Schools (in the UK) but we were too busy with Greenpower to be able to take it on. I would have really loved a crack at it though.

I often find the routes life leads you down are quite funny though. Now I work for Greenpower and have met the people that came up with F1 in Schools at various events like Autosport international etc. seems like I can't get away from it!

bazanaius
bazanaius

Great news! Glad it all went so well - just reward for all your hard work.

Congratulations, and let us know how you get on at the nationals!

flameracing
flameracing

a few questions

Where did you put the ilet things
How did you taper the nose
how did you make the rear thing

Im from flame racing who also competed but i competed in the aprrentice class came second. could you give me a few pointers. Thanks

Ciro Pabón

Congratulations. However, I think you're still one or half a tenth away from the world record.

Can you ellaborate on your plans now?

Do you have to use the same design in the nationals or can you change something?

How did the operations go? For example, did you heat the canister before the races, as flyn suggested? Is there anything else that can be done to improve the time?

Do you have any pictures or movies of your race?

Finally, can you help flameracing in any way? Welcome to the forum, flameracing. I hope for some member to help you with those questions, specially with the intriguing one of "how did you taper the nose". I have no idea what's the shape picked by basizeland, but surely it helped his team. What's the rear thing you talk about?
Ciro

flameracing
flameracing

the little peice behind the rear wheel
i like salty peanuts

basizeland
basizeland

Hi Ciro Pabon

The official world record is 1.020 seconds but the unofficial world record which is the Australian record is 0.985 seconds. We got a run of 1.046 seconds which is the second fastest this year because out of all the state finals only one team has beaten it with a 1.040. Our car kept breaking at the end of the track because the towels that they used to stop the car were very heavy which stop the car very abruptly causing it to break. Once the car broke its times were around 1.080 so if it hadn't of broke it may have got faster because it only had 2 runs before it broke.

1 of the wheels were crooked also because we glued the axles into the car and then cut the middle section of the axles out, this caused one of the wheels to be crooked which caused the car to turn into the side of the track every run which slowed it down.

We are required to continually update our car between competitions so I am planning on doing a lot more cfd testing because i just got a license to use it on my PC. I also want to try the aspirator idea and a few different tests with surface finish.

We made up 2 blocks of wood to align the car on the track and to align the firing mechanism so that the car got shot perfectly down the track. The canisters are supplied and u aren't allowed to touch them because they put them in the car so you can't heat them up.

Flame Racing
We made our eyelets out of stainless steel welding wire because we had to have some way of attaching them to the car so we extended the wire and glued it into the car.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by tapering the front do you mean the canister housing or the front wing.

The diffuser behind the rear wheel is tapered from all sides to direct the airflow back together.

basizeland
basizeland

Here are some pics of our car

flameracing
flameracing

i would like to know how to taper the canister housing and the peice behind the rear wheel.

How many times did your car break(front wing)?
i like salty peanuts

basizeland
basizeland

hi flame racing to taper the canister you just have to make the sketch for the shaft smaller at the back then it is at the front which will taper it back.

Our front wing broke like 5 times because the towels were really tough and didnt allow the car to slow down over a distance it just stop it as soon as it hit the towels

flameracing
flameracing

thanks mate
i like salty peanuts

flameracing
flameracing

sorry i have another question where did you order your ball bearings from (website)
i like salty peanuts

basizeland
basizeland

we got them from www.smallparts.com.au

flameracing
flameracing

sorry for this next question to could you take a sreenshot of the sketch for your shaft?
i like salty peanuts

TheMinister

basizeland wrote: The official world record is 1.020 seconds but the unofficial world record which is the Australian record is 0.985 seconds. We got a run of 1.046 seconds which is the second fastest this year because out of all the state finals only one team has beaten it with a 1.040. Our car kept breaking at the end of the track because the towels that they used to stop the car were very heavy which stop the car very abruptly causing it to break. Once the car broke its times were around 1.080 so if it hadn't of broke it may have got faster because it only had 2 runs before it broke.
I'd be willing to bet that the faster times are due more to environmental conditions than car design.

I'm thinking mainly of temperature- surely how hot the can is when pressurized and how hot it is when discharged will make a huge difference. I haven't read the rules, but surely the best way to increase performance would be by preheating the can in some way- whether you stick it hot water, the microwave, or heat the car (to transfer heat to the can).

I guess atmospheric pressure would also have some impact, but probably not that huge.

One other approach I'm surprised no-one's tried is to get rid of the wheels altogether. Obviously you will need them to be within the rules, but from the point about ceramic/steel bearings, sounds like rolling resistance is a major factor.

Why not build it as an ekranoplan? It'd be dead easy to use some of the gas from the can under the body (mount the can at the front maybe) or perhaps just do a true ekranoplan design. Reducing load on the wheels would mean lower friction from the bearings. If the car could actually take off at maximum speed, even better.

Damn I wish my school had done this, sounds like a fantastic physics + engineering challenge.

basizeland
basizeland

Hey everyone i haven't been on here for awhile because i took a break over the holidays and now I am getting back to developing the car for the national final. I have made a few changes to the car that had been suggested to me and some that i just did because i felt that something needed to change in that area. We have borrowed a wind tunnel and smoke tunnel to test the cars which have been helpful so far but seen as though i dont know a lot about aerodynamics im not sure what to do to fix the car so that it performs better.

Here is a comparison between the car that we ran at the state final and the new one that i am working on

Old Car
New Car
Old Car
New Car
Old Car
New Car
Old Car
New Car

I have tried to taper everything back smaller to direct the airflow back together more effectively, the main area that i have done this is on the canister housing i have made it a lot thinner at the back which we will lose a point for but i reckon that it will improve the performance of the car enough to gain more then 1 point with its speed.

Please tell me what you think about the car and what changes u reckon need to be done because i greatly appreciate all the help that the people from this forum have given me and the car would not be close to what it is now with out their help

Thanks
Brett