F1 in Schools Help - ashf1mclaren's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ashf1mclaren

F1 in Schools Help - ashf1mclaren's project

just a insite into those who no or legal loopholes in the rules and what advantages and disadvantages they have thanks [-o< :D
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: F1 in schools rules loopholes and advantages & disadvantages

What rules? Could you please post them, or at least provide a link?
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

ashf1mclaren

yep dave http://www.f1inschools.co.uk/download--8.html well done in the ice hockey =D>
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing
flameracing

i say you design something shaped like a bullet rather than an f1 car. Of course you would need to do some math to make it legal but thats wat i think anyway
i like salty peanuts

riff_raff
riff_raff

Actually, ashF1mclaren seems to be a quick learner and is asking a very good question. In the tradition of Roger Penske and Mark Donohue, he is simply looking for that "unfair advantage". Every good race car designer does that. But it's not something they teach in engineering classes, so where else but an anonymous internet forum would he get this type of information?
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

ashf1mclaren

F1 in Schools Help - ashf1mclaren car

hi i am taking part in the f1 in schools championship, i was wondering how much energy is stored in the co2 cartridges (8 gram) we use as propulsion

Lance Armstrong quote

TheMinister

Re: f1 in schools help!!!!!!!!!!!

ashf1mclaren wrote:hi i am taking part in the f1 in schools championship, i was wondering how much energy is stored in the co2 cartridges (8 gram) we use as propulsion
Tape it down to a pair of scales, pull the pin and see the force.

Although you might want to be a bit more scientific than that. See if your school has any accurate newton meters that can be hooked up to datalogging software, with a short sample period (so lots of samples whilst the cartridge fires). Get some thrust profiles (ie a graph of x=time(s) y=thrust(N)), maybe even post one here so we can see what it looks like.

Then the total impulse would be the total area under the graph (or the integral of the line, if you want to get all mathsy).

And the total energy in that would be.... oh dear god, I can't remember. A curse upon big lunches. I'm sure your physics teacher would know, hell it's probably so simple my cat would know.

But I doubt the total energy would be very helpful to know- the physics of the project is going to be all about impulses and thrust profiles. If you get it to work, post what ya get here, it'd be interesting.

ashf1mclaren

thanks 'theminister' will try that when we get the cartridges!i have another question for all on here can you make a front stalling wing, not like the mclaren 'F' vent but a general stalling wing thanks

Lance Armstrong quote

flynfrog

any wing with to much angle of attack will stall

you need a neutral airfoil wing

ashf1mclaren

thanks flynfrog

Lance Armstrong quote

ashf1mclaren

F1 IN SCHOOLS

HI i am design a f1 in schools car is i have come up with a idea for the front of the co2 canister to spin, it will have a drill like spiral design does anyone no if this will make it fast and is it legal? thanks

Lance Armstrong quote

flynfrog

Re: F1 IN SCHOOLS

first read your rule book.'

second ask your self why spinning would make the car go faster.

you have a set amount of energy to push the car forward. Using this to do anything else is wasting it.

ashf1mclaren

Re: F1 in Schools Help - ashf1mclaren's project

flynfrog i have analysised the rule book and come up with a few ideas as i am from the UK the 2010 rule book is not out, so i have take the australian rule book as there 2010 is out (should be the same), new rule for 2010 which states that there should be 3.5mm between aerofoils and body relative to the wheels(wheel will be 15mm wide and 26 diameter) i have though about design the wheels to 60mm, to there outside diamentions and the body to 65mm then extending the front aerofoil to fill that gap so a max of 3.5 in lenght out and 2.5 thick of material if gap difference from body and wheels is 5mm to keep that 3.5 but this will not cover the wheel in anyway making sure that the rule for 100% side and top view is not affected, just that side aero cannot be sucked in through that gap also the wheels will have spinners which are stationary

Lance Armstrong quote

ashf1mclaren

hi again just remember i have another idea for quick change front end at least and a possible rear end solution this idea has come along because i understand that many teams suffer because of aerofoils being part of the whole car so development causes them to have to remanufacture there whole car, it also means that i would be able to interchange part later on in development in real wind tunnel tests providing a suitable locking system is found to attach them to the car, maybe some sort of locking pin? this would not affect aero if flush to body

Lance Armstrong quote

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Remember - Airfoils only hurt and don't help in F1-in-Schools.. aside from maybe a vertical stabilizing fin. And even then...

I'd make them as small and skinny as possible.. or I'd get rid of them all together. You don't need them for anything.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.