2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
25 May 2024, 17:58
Not heard much more about Sainz to be investigated… usually we have heard something by now at the very least
Here it comes.

It will be interesting tomorrow, Leclerc may try to back the field up, Piastri or Norris need to be aggressive and exploit the strategy potential.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

No further action on Sainz even though they acknowledge Albon lost tenth and a half.

Have to say I am not convinced that is a good fair decision.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 May 2024, 19:54
No further action on Sainz even though they acknowledge Albon lost tenth and a half.

I’d rather see these decision made live as opposed to potentially considering the outcomes post fact (Albon making it to Q3).

Every other sport makes decisions in the moment, with a chance for a quick review. F1 does too much review by committee

Slahinki
Slahinki

FittingMechanics wrote:

Ah, steward consistency strikes again.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:

So karma will work.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Time for sub 2 second pitstops :)

Darth-Piekus

Yet again these clowns are inconsistent. Yet again Mclaren being the only team paying the ultimate price. Well what can you do? Time to move on and let's beat them on merit tomorrow. After all the curse of Monaco will strike again.

Emag
Emag

Well that seems rather unfair considering Oscar just got slammed last week for the same thing. Once again they only dish out penalties based on consequences. Because magnussen aborted the lap immediately after, Oscar gets a penalty. But because Albon doesn't lose more than 2 tenths, Carlos doesn't get a penalty.

That doesn't change the fact that he was blocked, and actually in that area of the track, he could just cut the chicane and give him the full racing line so it's not like he had nowhere to go.

It is what it is though, but Charles' win chances just went up dramatically.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

It is frustrating but let's keep the big picture in mind. The car almost got pole in Monaco and this is second race in a row where they both qualify top 4. With Ferrari strategy and Leclerc luck, we might have a chance.

Could be a great points haul tomorrow.

Marc.W

Sucks about the Sainz no-penalty, we get screwed over again I guess, so that's both cars starting on the dirty side, hopefuly we get agressive with the tyre choice and strategy tomorrow, a chance to close the gap to Red Bull in points

geogate
geogate

Oscar just needs not a terrible start, then see where lando is after first corner. It's pretty tough to make a position at the start regardless what side of grid

mwillems

Emag wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:08
Well that seems rather unfair considering Oscar just got slammed last week for the same thing. Once again they only dish out penalties based on consequences. Because magnussen aborted the lap immediately after, Oscar gets a penalty. But because Albon doesn't lose more than 2 tenths, Carlos doesn't get a penalty.

That doesn't change the fact that he was blocked, and actually in that area of the track, he could just cut the chicane and give him the full racing line so it's not like he had nowhere to go.

It is what it is though, but Charles' win chances just went up dramatically.
It was being discussed on Sky F1 in FP3, as the stewards were not dishing penalties for blatant blocking. Jenson Button was suggesting that they were letting them off for a congested track in FP3, but in Q they'd be dishing out the grid drops. Then they started to wonder if this was the precedent for the weekend... turns out it was.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Actually we have the inside line and isn't the clean side on the inside line with more rubber? I saw most cars passing from the inside line today.

Harisudhan
Harisudhan

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:42
Actually we have the inside line and isn't the clean side on the inside line with more rubber? I saw most cars passing from the inside line today.
I think the pole position has the inside line no?

mwillems

How did you find that we are on the right side? Last year Pole started on the right side, which leads to the inside for turn 1.

It'd be better to start on the inside of turn 1 as you can legitimately challenge for a corner if you get half of the car alongside. On the outside you have to do a lot more and it is very unlikely at Monaco.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit