2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:49
Emag wrote:
25 May 2024, 23:07
Seanspeed wrote:
25 May 2024, 22:48

Y'all are seriously complaining after Piastri got away with running Sainz off the track in Miami?

There wasn't even a Mclaren involved in the incident here and you're claiming you're the victim? lol
The Miami incident is a completely different case and stewards have shown that they are more inclined to give right to the car which takes the inside line (within reasonable bounds). And it's not like in the McLaren-Ferrari battle they won anything with that since Carlos barged his way through and Oscar got 0 points in Miami.
It's actually worse, cuz Sainz not only had to deal with Piastri running him off when Sainz had a dead to rights overtaking chance(that he likely would have pulled off), but then got penalized later for some admittedly hard overtaking while being angry about even having to battle for a position he'd basically already won.

I hate all this 'oh but that was different' arguing when it's convenient. It's literally illegal to push others off-track. Point is, stewards should have punished him for that, but didn't. So please dont go pretending y'all are some victims here, especially in an incident you literally weren't even involved in.

Argue that weren't fortunate here or something, but you're not 'victims'.
Sainz got the penalty because while making the overtake he lost control of the rear and oversteered into piastri. That’s the difference.

Concerning Piastri running Sainz off the road, while I may not like the overtaking rules as they are and they have been applied inconsistently from time to time, this isn’t one of those times. The way the current overtaking rules are set up allowed Piastri to run Sainz off the road. Like I said, I don’t like it as it is but Piastri used the rules to his advantage the same way any driver would.

This current trend of drivers running each other off the corner became solidly established in 2021 with Hamilton and Verstappen and has been consistent since.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

trinidefender wrote:
26 May 2024, 04:36
Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:49
Emag wrote:
25 May 2024, 23:07

The Miami incident is a completely different case and stewards have shown that they are more inclined to give right to the car which takes the inside line (within reasonable bounds). And it's not like in the McLaren-Ferrari battle they won anything with that since Carlos barged his way through and Oscar got 0 points in Miami.
It's actually worse, cuz Sainz not only had to deal with Piastri running him off when Sainz had a dead to rights overtaking chance(that he likely would have pulled off), but then got penalized later for some admittedly hard overtaking while being angry about even having to battle for a position he'd basically already won.

I hate all this 'oh but that was different' arguing when it's convenient. It's literally illegal to push others off-track. Point is, stewards should have punished him for that, but didn't. So please dont go pretending y'all are some victims here, especially in an incident you literally weren't even involved in.

Argue that weren't fortunate here or something, but you're not 'victims'.
Sainz got the penalty because while making the overtake he lost control of the rear and oversteered into piastri. That’s the difference.

Concerning Piastri running Sainz off the road, while I may not like the overtaking rules as they are and they have been applied inconsistently from time to time, this isn’t one of those times. The way the current overtaking rules are set up allowed Piastri to run Sainz off the road. Like I said, I don’t like it as it is but Piastri used the rules to his advantage the same way any driver would.

This current trend of drivers running each other off the corner became solidly established in 2021 with Hamilton and Verstappen and has been consistent since.
Exactly this. Sadly, he won’t listen. Let’s draw a line under it as this won’t go anywhere if a person isn’t open to facts as emotion runs in the way

Marc.W

Seanspeed wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:20
Sucks about the Sainz no-penalty, we get screwed over again I guess
Y'all are seriously complaining after Piastri got away with running Sainz off the track in Miami?

There wasn't even a Mclaren involved in the incident here and you're claiming you're the victim? lol
I was referencing how Oscar got a penalty last week for aguably an identical case in blocking, but please do continue to put words in my mouth :roll:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

When you take best sectors, Oscar is P1. This could end up being one that got away.

Marc.W

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 May 2024, 08:16
When you take best sectors, Oscar is P1. This could end up being one that got away.
Not to take away from Leclerc, mans been on it since FP2, and I wont be disappointed if he finally wins at Monaco, but at the same time I'm also hoping Oscar gets a monster start, he has to pace to run away with it if he gets out in front.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Yeah, hard to argue with that.

Leclerc winning in Monaco is a great story. I feel much less disappointed as the pace of McLaren is not a fluke and they will have more chances in the future.

Could it be that Marshall suspension work is showing up on the car? It seems to go well over bumps and apparently he did that work in Red Bull?

geogate
geogate

pit stop is the best chance that i can see. McLaren and Ferrari both have "second" drivers that probably will sacrifice their own optimum finish to help the lead driver win. Strategy will be about position of both drivers after the first corner.

mwillems

Pretty hard to do anything on the outside of T1 but I hope he does.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I don't know about you guys, but I'm more concerned about advertising banners on the walls. Leclerc hooked one of these onto the front wing, and Lando even hooked a whole bunch of this banner. This can be very dangerous and overall affect the results of the race.

This already affected him in Q1 when he had to pit to clear debris from under his car. And then use an extra set of soft to simply get into Q2 and worsen your position in Q3. The situation was risky. I was afraid of yellow flags, and there was a high probability that Lando simply wouldn’t make a good lap under pressure.

Last edited by LionsHeart on 26 May 2024, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:58
Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:52
Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:47

The audacity of talking about relevance when you guys are whining about being victims of an incident you weren't even involved in. lol

Good lord.

And no, Piastri getting away with an incredibly consequential and textbook illegal move is not irrelevant and completely different when the argument is about ref consistency. That is in fact a WORSE situation than Sainz getting away with impeding somebody on a track super hard to get out of the way, and who ultimately still gets through to the next session anyways, meaning it was ultimately inconsequential.
Alright, I'll ignore the first part again since you're fixated on that Miami incident, which again, it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened here, but you're so butthurt over that you can't see straight for some reason.

But thank you for proving my point with your last sentence :)
Mclaren had nothing to do with what happened here, yet you guys are still VERY fixated on it. lol

The irony really is insane. You guys are trying to act like victims and I'm merely pointing out an extremely recent example of where Mclaren/Piastri got away with murder in an even more consequential situation, proving beyond all doubt that y'all aren't victims.

Y'all only wanted a penalty for Sainz cuz it would help Norris. If Sainz was P8, and Norris stood nothing to gain from it, y'all wouldn't be talking about it whatsoever. Stop pretending you care about the quality of stewarding only when you think you can benefit from it.
I am not fixated on anything. The incident was brought up in this thread because there were possible gains for Lando if Carlos had gotten a penalty.

He didn't get a penalty and people were just pointing out the weirdness of the decision and then everyone moved on.

Then you came along bringing up Miami for some reason, which is completely different (racing incident vs impeding) and told everyone to stop acting like victims, which is a bit ironic actually.

Nobody cares about the penalty. Charles is starting on pole and he will more than likely win the race. The discussion before was just pointing out that once again, stewards are dishing out penalties based on consequences, and it objectively shouldn't be like that. Doesn't matter for what team the drivers involved drive.

End of discussion.

BMMR61

Just (finally) watched qual. Brilliant! We have to be pleased/relieved/elated after a week of wondering if McLaren would show they can be quick anywhere. Then I come on the forum here and I can't believe the divisive rubbish. We don't need to get triggered by a grumpy Ferrari fan. Enjoy the day, today (tonight here) is another chance, don't let anyone steal your joy of being a proud McLaren fan.
Last edited by BMMR61 on 26 May 2024, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
26 May 2024, 10:29
I don't know about you guys, but I'm more concerned about advertising banners on the walls. Leclerc hooked one of these onto the front wing, and Lando even hooked a whole bunch of this banner. This can be very dangerous and overall affect the results of the race.

This already affected him in Q1 when he had to pit to clear debris from under his car. And then use an extra set of soft to simply get into Q2 and worsen your position in Q3. The situation was risky. I was afraid of yellow flags, and there was a high probability that Lando simply wouldn’t make a good lap under pressure.

https://i.ibb.co/vdS9wYF/6-D6-BF863-D24 ... -F1734.jpg
It seemed really strange when I first saw it on the very same corner where I posted the video of Lando kissing the barrier and making it wobble because of how accurately he placed the car. It was an issue waiting to happen.

If it is still there in the race I'll be shocked.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Zaamy
Zaamy

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10615655/

Sounds like they're gonna remove the banners

Marc.W

Just need to remove small sections, never seen the need for overly large stretches of the same sponsor, especially in high contact areas

CjC
CjC

Seanspeed wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:20
Sucks about the Sainz no-penalty, we get screwed over again I guess

Oscar stayed on the track in Miami.
If there was grass on the outside of the track in Miami, Sainz would have backed out of the move, because there was a tarmac run off Sainz makes it look worse
Just a fan's point of view