2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

Well done Yuki for 8th holding off Albon. Dan looked racey but was stuck behind that wily old fox Alonso all race. What a boring race though. Roll on Canada.

bigblue

Four or so pretty quick laps from Yuki towards the end, once they'd saved tyres all race long :-)

Wouter

bigblue wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:14
Four or so pretty quick laps from Yuki towards the end, once they'd saved tyres all race long :-)
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

Wouter

Liam Lawson’s hopes of making a return to the F1 grid in 2025 have taken a hit after RB CEO Peter Bayer suggested they are “very happy” with their current driver line-up. #-o

Both RB drivers are out of contract at the end of the year, and given Lawson’s impressive F1 cameo last year, he was being lined up for a full-time drive in 2025.

But it seems Red Bull’s original plan of putting Daniel Ricciardo alongside Max Verstappen at Red Bull and then Yuki Tsunoda alongside Lawson at the junior team isn’t on the cards.

Ricciardo’s form alongside Tsunoda has been poor and doesn’t warrant a promotion, meaning Red Bull are favouring Sergio Perez, with reports suggesting his new deal could be announced in the next few weeks.

Tsunoda’s form in 2024 has been mighty - and is more than worthy of an extension - while Ricciardo’s experience and marketability makes him a big asset.

Bayer isn’t interested in discussing the team’s driver line-up for next year, making it very clear he’s satisfied with the current pairing.

“We’re very happy with both of our drivers,” Bayer said. “And honestly, we’re not wasting time with discussing ifs and whens.

“We have a very strong line-up. We have a great reserve driver. We have great talent coming through F2, F3. Currently, it’s all about focusing on performance – the focus is more on Aston Martin in front of us than on driver discussions.”

Bayer hinted that their driver line-up won’t be a discussion point until the summer break.

“Liam is an extremely valuable member to the team,” Bayer added. “He’s with us every weekend, obviously. He’s doing a lot of work in the simulator.

“But as I said before, currently we have two drivers in the cars. We are finding performance with the two. And we really do not discuss the 2025 situation, perhaps because we’re in a luxury situation of having that strong grassroot pyramid behind us.

“So the focus is really on track and on the next couple of races until definitely the summer break.”
Source: Crashnet

The original source is from 24 May:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... KdBGOPEtvF
Q: When are you going to confirm your drivers for next year?

PB: I think we're very happy with both of our drivers. And honestly, we're not wasting time with discussing ifs and whens. We have a very strong line-up. We have a great reserve driver. We have great talent coming through F2, F3. And currently, it's all about focusing on performance. And perhaps the focus is more on Aston Martin in front of us than on driver discussions.

Q: (Ian Parkes – New York Times) Peter, you mentioned that you're happy with both your drivers, but just to remind you that last year, following Liam Lawson's performances for the team, Helmut Marko turned around and said that he was pretty much going to be a shoe-in for 2025. So where does Liam figure in your plans? Similarly to Christian, you might want to answer that as well as his reserve driver. But also, are either of Peter's drivers still on your shortlist for that number two seat?

PB: Yeah, look, Liam is an extremely valuable member to the team. He's with us every weekend, obviously. He's doing a lot of work in the simulator. But as I said before, currently we have two drivers in the cars. We are finding performance with the two. And we really do not discuss the 2025 situation, perhaps because we're in a luxury situation of having that strong grassroot pyramid behind us. And so the focus is really on track and on the next couple of races until definitely the summer break.
The Power of Dreams!

Jambier

Wouter wrote:
29 May 2024, 16:34
Liam Lawson’s hopes of making a return to the F1 grid in 2025 have taken a hit after RB CEO Peter Bayer suggested they are “very happy” with their current driver line-up. #-o

Both RB drivers are out of contract at the end of the year, and given Lawson’s impressive F1 cameo last year, he was being lined up for a full-time drive in 2025.

But it seems Red Bull’s original plan of putting Daniel Ricciardo alongside Max Verstappen at Red Bull and then Yuki Tsunoda alongside Lawson at the junior team isn’t on the cards.

Ricciardo’s form alongside Tsunoda has been poor and doesn’t warrant a promotion, meaning Red Bull are favouring Sergio Perez, with reports suggesting his new deal could be announced in the next few weeks.

Tsunoda’s form in 2024 has been mighty - and is more than worthy of an extension - while Ricciardo’s experience and marketability makes him a big asset.

Bayer isn’t interested in discussing the team’s driver line-up for next year, making it very clear he’s satisfied with the current pairing.

“We’re very happy with both of our drivers,” Bayer said. “And honestly, we’re not wasting time with discussing ifs and whens.

“We have a very strong line-up. We have a great reserve driver. We have great talent coming through F2, F3. Currently, it’s all about focusing on performance – the focus is more on Aston Martin in front of us than on driver discussions.”

Bayer hinted that their driver line-up won’t be a discussion point until the summer break.

“Liam is an extremely valuable member to the team,” Bayer added. “He’s with us every weekend, obviously. He’s doing a lot of work in the simulator.

“But as I said before, currently we have two drivers in the cars. We are finding performance with the two. And we really do not discuss the 2025 situation, perhaps because we’re in a luxury situation of having that strong grassroot pyramid behind us.

“So the focus is really on track and on the next couple of races until definitely the summer break.”
Source: Crashnet

The original source is from 24 May:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... KdBGOPEtvF
Q: When are you going to confirm your drivers for next year?

PB: I think we're very happy with both of our drivers. And honestly, we're not wasting time with discussing ifs and whens. We have a very strong line-up. We have a great reserve driver. We have great talent coming through F2, F3. And currently, it's all about focusing on performance. And perhaps the focus is more on Aston Martin in front of us than on driver discussions.

Q: (Ian Parkes – New York Times) Peter, you mentioned that you're happy with both your drivers, but just to remind you that last year, following Liam Lawson's performances for the team, Helmut Marko turned around and said that he was pretty much going to be a shoe-in for 2025. So where does Liam figure in your plans? Similarly to Christian, you might want to answer that as well as his reserve driver. But also, are either of Peter's drivers still on your shortlist for that number two seat?

PB: Yeah, look, Liam is an extremely valuable member to the team. He's with us every weekend, obviously. He's doing a lot of work in the simulator. But as I said before, currently we have two drivers in the cars. We are finding performance with the two. And we really do not discuss the 2025 situation, perhaps because we're in a luxury situation of having that strong grassroot pyramid behind us. And so the focus is really on track and on the next couple of races until definitely the summer break.
Lawson really deserve a seat!
But they won't get rid of RIC, and TSU is performing very well so... no good choice.

If I were RB group, I replace Perez and put Lawson in the VCARB

gcdugas

When are we allowed to say that Ricciardo no longer is the driver he once was and should retire?
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

CHT
CHT

Liam should get to race this year to help the team access their drivers and make decision for next year.

RB cant possibly be happy with Ric pace this season because Ric is not a paid driver.

RBR should continue to use RB as team to nurture young potential drivers instead of sanctuary for seniors who have passed their prime.

Waz
Waz

gcdugas wrote:
29 May 2024, 17:56
When are we allowed to say that Ricciardo no longer is the driver he once was and should retire?
I'm a fan of his and think it's time. It's clear he has achieved the most he ever will, and from here on he just blocking Lawson, who definitely deserves a shot.

How sure are the team really that Yuki isn't actually still on the same level as before, but looks improved next to DeVries and now Ricciardo?

Wouter

Daniel Ricciardo says his focus is on improving his current Formula 1 performances "week in, week out", rather than securing a contract extension with RB.

The Australian has endured a difficult opening third of the 2024 season, in which his only points came through finishing fourth in the Miami Grand Prix sprint.

This leaves him 14 points short of RB team-mate Yuki Tsunoda, who has impressed thus far in his fourth season with the team, and this has led to suggestions that Ricciardo might be at risk of losing his seat to reserve Liam Lawson.

The Kiwi had impressed in his five races as cover for Ricciardo last year, when the ex-Red Bull driver fractured his hand in a Turn 3 crash at Zandvoort.

RB CEO Peter Bayer lent his support to the Perth-born driver prior to the Monaco Grand Prix, stating that he was happy with his current line-up, but Ricciardo refuted suggestions that he was seeking assurance about his future.

"I mean I'll be honest, I haven't really given [contract talks] too much [thought]," Ricciardo said. "That's great to hear [from Bayer] and yes, that would be awesome, but I want to be doing better consistently.

"The gap [to Tsunoda], maybe we do find something that [explains] why I lost a bit here or there. There'll probably always be something. This is F1 and it's never perfect.

"I'm not happy with having these gaps. I think that's what's frustrating me a bit. Obviously the team has been great and they've been really supportive and obviously they know I can do it.

"But it's been a bit more of a struggle this year to do it week in, week out, and that's really where my focus is now as opposed to getting too comfortable or excited about what the future holds. I want to be doing better, whether that's car or me."

"I definitely felt good coming into the [Monaco qualifying] session," he said. "Obviously two years ago here, I struggled with McLaren. I felt a lot better, let's say, this time around, but the reality is the result isn't really that much better.

"I want to try and take a good look at myself and see what I'm missing and then we'll look at what the car can give me to help me out.

"I think the frustrating thing is I can do it but it's obviously not happening frequently enough and that's where I'm kind of getting frustrated with myself trying to understand why it's not consistently week in, week out being a Q3 contender."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ricci ... ock-anchor
The Power of Dreams!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Nice praise from Mekies on what Dan brings to the team particularly in car development.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/rb-daniel ... m-extended

Wouter

A nice long interview with Laurent Mekies:

https://www.planetf1.com/features/laure ... 1717231414
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/279756/c ... in-25.html
CEO of VCARB confirms: 'We want this driver in our car in '25''

CEO Peter Bayer is extremely pleased with the Japanese driver's development. "I definitely believe he has made a big step forward.
It's physical preparation, but it's also his mental readiness to perform and deliver. One example I mentioned the other day:
I think he simply understood that every time he would be swearing on the radio, that would cost him a tenth.
So he's got himself under control." :)

According to the CEO, Tsunoda is extremely professional in his dealings with engineers. Asked offhand whether VCARB would like him in '25 as well, Bayer says: "Yes."
Who should be his teammate also seems fairly clear. Despite his still lower form, Ricciardo is on pole to take the second seat
at Red Bull Racing's sister team.

"I think we're very happy with both of our drivers. And honestly, we're not wasting time with discussing ifs and whens.
We have a very strong line-up. We have a great reserve driver. We have great talent coming through F2, F3. And currently, it's all about focusing on performance. And perhaps the focus is more on Aston Martin in front of us than on driver discussions," Bayer said.
"We have a very strong line-up." :roll: #-o Ricciardo only got 5 points in the Miami sprintrace and Yuki 19 points in 5 GP's.

Yuki: . . . . . . . . . Image

Daniel: . Image

Image Thanks to Yuki and a better car! > > > Image
The Power of Dreams!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Wouter wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 19:53
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/279756/c ... in-25.html
CEO of VCARB confirms: 'We want this driver in our car in '25''

CEO Peter Bayer is extremely pleased with the Japanese driver's development. "I definitely believe he has made a big step forward.
It's physical preparation, but it's also his mental readiness to perform and deliver. One example I mentioned the other day:
I think he simply understood that every time he would be swearing on the radio, that would cost him a tenth.
So he's got himself under control." :)

According to the CEO, Tsunoda is extremely professional in his dealings with engineers. Asked offhand whether VCARB would like him in '25 as well, Bayer says: "Yes."
Who should be his teammate also seems fairly clear. Despite his still lower form, Ricciardo is on pole to take the second seat
at Red Bull Racing's sister team.

"I think we're very happy with both of our drivers. And honestly, we're not wasting time with discussing ifs and whens.
We have a very strong line-up. We have a great reserve driver. We have great talent coming through F2, F3. And currently, it's all about focusing on performance. And perhaps the focus is more on Aston Martin in front of us than on driver discussions," Bayer said.
"We have a very strong line-up." :roll: #-o Ricciardo only got 5 points in the Miami sprintrace and Yuki 19 points in 5 GP's.

Yuki: . . . . . . . . . https://imgur.com/2SnsiW3.png

Daniel: . https://imgur.com/e9kF8u6.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOhlW1KX0AA ... me=360x360 Thanks to Yuki and a better car! > > > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOvnLEtW4AE ... me=360x360
Not sure why the need for all the graphics highlighting the points we already know Yuki is doing extremely well there. This is just unnecessary needling towards Ricciardo fans imo especially in light of the teams recent comments explaining why they think they have a strong team. It goes beyond just purely the points tally. You can't deny with a little more luck Dan would have had more points anyway. He's been crashed into twice and very unlucky in Oz running wide in one corner when he was on pace for q3 according to the team. This was a key race where good points were on offer in hindsight where Yuki got lucky with his best result of 7th with 3 quicker cars ahead of him DNFing and also Alonso being penalised which isn't normal.

The team can see all the data with Dan and know the sum of everything he brings including great development input. They also said they want an older experienced driver and younger one not two young drivers.

Why can't people just be happy like the team is with this strong lineup and the improvement not only in WDC points ( ie currently largely Yukis contribution) but also the car performance from a back marker to top of midfield and ahead of schedule ( of which Dan has strongly contributed) and be constructive instead of shooting each other's drivers down at every opportunity.

Yuki is on a roll and operating at a very high level. Dan when comfortable is able to pull out the big results like Mexico and Miami sprint. The team know this and its certainly not like McLaren where his race pace was also off often. Thats why they are all in making improvements to also help Dan get the car to his liking so he can operate at his known high level consistently.

Hopefully Dan can make more regular q3 appearances and contribute more points like Yuki has. His race pace is fine and the last 2 tracks he could have been very well in the points if they were not some of the worst for passing given his and Yukis strong race pace in clean air he just needs to nail qualli more regularly.

Waz
Waz

Hoping for Dan to start making more Q3 appearances really sums up where his career is at.

It's time he stepped aside into the reserve driver role.

F1 needs to relook at the testing situation again, so that reserve drivers get to drive the car more though.