2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:27
Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 22:15
Man Sainz got insanely lucky.
Lucky with Zhou not crossing S1 line before red flag and terribly unlucky with getting a puncture from such a tiny touch with Piastri in the first place, if we are honest.
Sure, I wouldn't have blamed him for the incident even if he was simply out or had to start from the back, but still, once it happened, it really felt over for his weekend and that Leclerc would be out there on an island trying to fend off two fast Mclarens with options.

MTL79
MTL79

I have 2 comments:

1) I'm surprised with Ferrari's race pace given how we'd all said slow speed corners were their weakness. Can it be that the car suffers in slow speed corners only when it needs to be configured to tackle both slow and fast speed corners, indicating some different flaw in the design? Red Bull had their own difficulty with suspension settings this race, but McLaren did not and Ferrari was still faster than them, which to me indicates that it was not simply down to suspension. I'm in no way shape or form knowledgeable on this though; also

2) The pit strategy was a bit strange for me. I don't understand why Sainz decided to pursue Piastri so closely and risk damaging his tyres. I would have thought backing up Norris would have been the best option for both Ferrari and Sainz. For Ferrari, that gap would have meant Piastri could never try to pit and for Sainz it meant he would have had a few more seconds in the event of a safety car that could have worked in his favor. The strategy used by Ferrari only ended up working because Russel decided not to pit. Had he have gone in, Norris would have gone in. We can all agree Verstappen showed us that having a new set of tyres does not guarantee an overtake, but I still think Sainz pushing Norris back into Russel would have been the safest option. Thoughts?

wowgr8
wowgr8

Piastri had a floor issue, in case that's who you're referring to on the race pace

Andres125sx

Congratulations Charles, finally, the dream came true! =D> =D> =D>

It was so emotional... I don´t know who was more affected, if Charles himself, or Prince Albert!

Vanja #66

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:45
Sure, I wouldn't have blamed him for the incident even if he was simply out or had to start from the back, but still, once it happened, it really felt over for his weekend and that Leclerc would be out there on an island trying to fend off two fast Mclarens with options.
In that case, I suspect Leclerc would have backed them into Russell alone, while Sainz would try cutting through the grid as much as possible. Going at true race pace would have destroyed his tyres, while McLarens would have had room to build the gap to Russell. But honestly, tiny touch and an immediate puncture (not even a slow puncture to reach the pits at least), that's ridiculous for Sainz, haven't seen that happen since front wings were cutting rear tyres over a decade ago...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:20
yooogurt wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:11
Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:45
Realistically, achieving multiple wins this season as a goal is met and WCC fight is on, it was a massive task after 2023 yet here we are...
but also in the WDC there is only a 31 point gap and there are still plenty of races to go and a three team battle looming, I see no reason not to have a shot at both titles
Both Ferrari and McLaren must push as hard as possible this season no matter what, but RB is absolutely in control of both Championships and those are theirs to lose.

The only thing Ferrari should now do is make a push for Q pace and take every risk to win until the end of the season, they have nothing to lose
24 points at the WCC is far from imposible to recover, specially if RBR perfomance is similar to this last GPs for the rest of the season

Also, Sainz is proving to be way more consistent than Perez, so I´d say the championship is quite open

Apart from that, what a BS of a GP Monaco is... Being slower is key, to avoid your chasers to have a free pitstop. Laptimes were 8 seconds slower than possible. When the key is slowing down instead of going as fast as possible, that should not be called racing #-o

Vanja #66

Andres125sx wrote:
27 May 2024, 08:39
24 points at the WCC is far from imposible to recover, specially if RBR perfomance is similar to this last GPs for the rest of the season

Also, Sainz is proving to be way more consistent than Perez, so I´d say the championship is quite open

Apart from that, what a BS of a GP Monaco is... Being slower is key, to avoid your chasers to have a free pitstop. Laptimes were 8 seconds slower than possible. When the key is slowing down instead of going as fast as possible, that should not be called racing #-o
Not saying it's impossible to recover, just saying RBR are the favourites until they are mathematically beaten. They should never be underestimated to make a big leap with the car and I think everyone in Ferrari understands this.

Sainz is amazing this season, reaching his full potential and it's wonderful. I'm sure even you'll agree he was not at his best last two years. Just to illustrate, Monaco was race 7 for him this year and he's at 108p. In 2022, with arguably a far stronger chassis relative to RB18, he was at 65p after 7 races. +66% point improvement over 2022!

As for Monaco, it was pretty much like second stint in Singapore 23 but for the whole race. It was important not to allow pit stop gap for McLaren because you never know what can happen with SC, tyres, weather, etc.

#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

I think its time for them to consider changes to the track. In terms of strategy, I agree, it was like Singapore, but you're not completely hopeless for an overtake in Singapore.

There's not that much room for changes, but something that would make a big difference is to remove the nouvelle chicane and making tabac slower. At least you get one big braking zone following a straight.

Space-heat
Space-heat

MTL79 wrote:
27 May 2024, 02:41
I have 2 comments:

1) I'm surprised with Ferrari's race pace given how we'd all said slow speed corners were their weakness. Can it be that the car suffers in slow speed corners only when it needs to be configured to tackle both slow and fast speed corners, indicating some different flaw in the design? Red Bull had their own difficulty with suspension settings this race, but McLaren did not and Ferrari was still faster than them, which to me indicates that it was not simply down to suspension. I'm in no way shape or form knowledgeable on this though; also

2) The pit strategy was a bit strange for me. I don't understand why Sainz decided to pursue Piastri so closely and risk damaging his tyres. I would have thought backing up Norris would have been the best option for both Ferrari and Sainz. For Ferrari, that gap would have meant Piastri could never try to pit and for Sainz it meant he would have had a few more seconds in the event of a safety car that could have worked in his favor. The strategy used by Ferrari only ended up working because Russel decided not to pit. Had he have gone in, Norris would have gone in. We can all agree Verstappen showed us that having a new set of tyres does not guarantee an overtake, but I still think Sainz pushing Norris back into Russel would have been the safest option. Thoughts?
1) On the first point we will have to wait to see over the next two races to see the Imola upgrade. Oscar said Mclaren have given up some high speed performance for better low speed. It seems it is a balance thing, when Ferrari were able to to focus on one corner type they were able to extract excellent traction performance. George said much the same of the Merc, that they were only so good in Monaco as they did not need to find a balance between slow and fast.

2) On the second one, Sainz was told not to let Piastri get more the 7 seconds up the road. From the mid-point, he was hyper aware of Norris-Russell gap and wanted to prioritize it but Ricky told him the main priority is Oscar sc window. Similar to Charles in Singapore, the team were fine with sacrificing Carlos if it secured the win. Carlos was on the radio trying to get them to slow Charles down as he thought Norris was the real threat for the win if he pitted. As Palmer said on the call, the best result for Sainz was keeping Norris from pitting but Piastri close for a late push in case he could force a mistake. For all of Sainz racing Charles hard it is great that both have the capacity to lock in for the team game when it matters...looks a Alpine.

Ferrari played it perfect today. If Strolls tire had come off a few meters earlier, it could have been chaos though...something something Max's Miami quote. Excited for Canada.

Waz
Waz

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:06
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/05/ ... -has-gone/

I can't overstate how important this win could end up being for Charles psychologically. I expect find to find another gear not necessarily in terms of speed, but in terms of confidence in his team and himself. The trials of last two years seem to be finally coming to an end; he was so close to a win multiple times over the last two years, yet something went wrong every time. Coming up repeatedly short couldn't have been healthy.
This. There was just a totally different approach to this weekend. No games, no BS, no weak decisions or communication. He went for it right away, and maybe that's the right thing for Charles to do. That way he wouldn't be caught out by any unexpected behaviour once the car is fully turned up.

dani5549
dani5549

I think this weekend was very important in terms of car balance aswell. Every time in qualifying we never found time, especially from friday to saturday. This weekend was different, the car was great in quali, and we weren't surprised by how much the others improved either. The tire deg didn't seem worse but it's Monaco so you never know. I think it was a big step forward.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dani5549 wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:43
I think this weekend was very important in terms of car balance aswell. Every time in qualifying we never found time, especially from friday to saturday. This weekend was different, the car was great in quali, and we weren't surprised by how much the others improved either. The tire deg didn't seem worse but it's Monaco so you never know. I think it was a big step forward.
Yeah, Leclerc has always been in control.

I think he had even more speed in hands but decided to minimize risks as much as possible.

AnthonyG

Emag wrote:
27 May 2024, 09:54
I think its time for them to consider changes to the track. In terms of strategy, I agree, it was like Singapore, but you're not completely hopeless for an overtake in Singapore.

There's not that much room for changes, but something that would make a big difference is to remove the nouvelle chicane and making tabac slower. At least you get one big braking zone following a straight.
It's the cars, the cheapest and most effective way for F1 to increase overtaking is to reduce car size. A smaller car will increase overtaking on all tracks of the calender. Present day and future.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

MTL79 wrote:
27 May 2024, 02:41
I have 2 comments:

1. I think the consensus is that Ferrari is good over the bumps. This is a bumpy track. It also used to be very good in traction.

2. Agreed, I think the main reason here is that Sainz and his engineer were not willing to play a total team game. They probably entertained the idea of attacking Piastri (and even put some pressure on him). They didn't want Sainz to drop back too far - they even told him to stay at least within 5 seconds of Piastri.

By staying close to Piastri they also had the option of the "undercut" to Piastri if Norris went to the pits.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
27 May 2024, 10:57
Yeah, Leclerc has always been in control.

I think he had even more speed in hands but decided to minimize risks as much as possible.
Not sure what others think, when I look at the pole lap, it doesn't look like he's on the edge. One tiny snap was braking into Grand Hotel hairpin (T6) and that's it. Looks just as relaxed as 2022 pole that he was going to improve a lot in second go if Perez didn't crash first.

2024 Monaco pole

2022 Monaco pole

#BlessYouLaddie