Sauber 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: Sauber 2012

marcush. wrote:I find it very amusing that Sauber don´t even have their famous "Albert" supercomputer anymore-peter sauber just shrugging off the mentioning of it with the words -time is going on that quickly in this world -we now outsource the calculating power ...
In a way it doesn't make sense to have an in-house supercomputer to handle your calculations seeing as new ones with better tech are being built all the time. At this point Deep Blue(the first computer to beat chess champion) is obsolete, and I imagine Sauber's supercomputer isn't fairing much better.
Saishū kōnā

Richard
Richard

It seems very sensible to me. Why should a small team incur that capital investment and get tied to an ageing asset when they can lease the up to date computational power as and when they need it? It'll also help their cash flow.

marcush.
marcush.

it is normal practise for the OEMs as well.... and thinking about it -how does this reflect on RRA? is outsourced comuting power restricted?

Raptor22
Raptor22

nope, just total spend. There are categories to which spend is allocated so as long as you can get the same value for money youre fine.
You can use a University at a lower rate than a professional outfit but incur more time due to less experience for example

Paul

As far as I know, computing power is indeed restricted, not the cost of running simulations. It is mentioned here, for example:
Down the corridor is the power behind them: 32.5 terraflops (as regulated by the FIA) of heavyweight computing capacity.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/07/lot ... tory-tour/

marcush.
marcush.

this would indeed render all inhouse super computing power a useless effort ..

Forza

@tgruener
F1 Peter Sauber steps down from his role as team principle with immediate effect. CEO Monisha Kaltenborn takes over.
@OfficialSF1Team
Stabübergabe - Monisha Kaltenborn ist ab sofort Teamchefin des Sauber F1 Teams.

Hail22

Forza wrote:
@tgruener
F1 Peter Sauber steps down from his role as team principle with immediate effect. CEO Monisha Kaltenborn takes over.
@OfficialSF1Team
Stabübergabe - Monisha Kaltenborn ist ab sofort Teamchefin des Sauber F1 Teams.
Thats a shame...I always like seeing Peter Sauber...
Last edited by Hail22 on 11 Oct 2012, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Ral
Ral

They've worked up to this for over a year at least as far as publicly visible, so quite possibly longer. I have no idea how one could even think mutiny had anything to do with this.

shotzski

Peter Sauber just did a Frank Williams/Ron dennis - leave day to day operations to immediate successor.

Nando
Nando

I think it´s great, first it´s great to see a woman in F1 with that kind of role but also great for her, she seems to be a very intelligent individual (kinda has to be for that type of job)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

stefan_
stefan_

Monisha is good, Mr. Sauber wouldn't have left his team on someone else's hands if he hadn't been sure about the capabilities/competency of that person.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Nando
Nando

Same thing he showed with his drivers, he believe in them, Sergio and Kimi are great examples.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Paul

I'm sure he will still be regular at the races and keep a watchful eye. The team is his child after all. I have great respect for the man.

stefan_
stefan_

It's official: Hülkenberg at Sauber in 2013

source
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985