CaterhamF1 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: CaterhamF1 2012

Some nice IT info from Dell and Caterham:
http://thepowertodomore.dell.com/data-c ... aterham-f1 - Data Center efficiency

1488 cores / 186 servers = 8 cores, which I assume are two physical CPUs X 4 cores each, which is likely to be close to R series from Dell - excellent machinery, if this is the case. However, as we speak for data centers, I can also assume we are talking about Blade nodes, which are available with Quad Core Xeon as well.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I would be very surprised if they were 4 cores. The E5 Xeon series has very few 4 cores, all of which are poor value. The 6 core models obviously can't make 8 core machines, so I'd assume you're looking at things like the E5-2687W, which are 8 cores per CPU. Though then I'd be kinda surprised that they didn't stick two of them in a board. All in all, sounds a little odd.
Last edited by Steven on 14 Nov 2012, 01:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post right above

WillerZ

HPC

beelsebob wrote:I would be very surprised if they were 4 cores. The E5 Xeon series has very few 4 cores, all of which are poor value. The 6 core models obviously can't make 8 core machines, so I'd assume you're looking at things like the E5-2687W, which are 8 cores per CPU. Though then I'd be kinda surprised that they didn't stick two of them in a board. All in all, sounds a little odd.
It is (or at least was when I was last involved in building one) usual in HPC clusters to use several different kinds of node in a single solution: you shouldn't take the total and divide it by the node count and expect the result to be the specs of every node.

For example, you might use pairs of six-core processors in "compute" nodes (that do the maths), these will have super-fast network connections to each other; the priority is calculations per second per box for these. At the other end of the spectrum you can use pairs of 2-core processors in your "i/o" nodes (which aggregate data and store it to disk), these are doing very little processing, basically just co-ordinating a DMA network input from compute nodes and a DMA disk output to disk. In Caterham's case they could usefully designate a third class of "render" node to visualise the data; these would likely be light on processing power and incorporate good GPUs for hardware-accelerated video compression if nothing else.

The currently-new generation of HPCs are much-more GPU-based: both Nvidia and Intel make special boards for this purpose which are essentially a top of the range graphics chip with no video outputs. You can get, on one board, an amount of computational power that would have got you to the top of the worldwide supercomputer charts in ~2001

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Re: CaterhamF1 CT-01 Renault

Who is the tech director for Catherham? still Mike?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

raymondu999

Mark Smith. Mike moved a long while back to Caterham cars IIRC?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

raymondu999 wrote:Mark Smith. Mike moved a long while back to Caterham cars IIRC?
Thought so! cheers!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Forza

Caterham is planning to use its 2012 chassis as the base for the 2013 car
nextgen-auto wrote:Heikki Kovalainen claims Caterham is planning to use its current chassis as the basis for the 2013 car.

It is expected the salaried Finn will be pushed out of the team for 2013 by ’pay drivers’ Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.

Asked by the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat how he expects Caterham to go next season, Kovalainen said: "It’s hard to say.

"But when the team has decided to continue with the same chassis for the new car, it may not be a good sign," said the 31-year-old, who as Caterham’s lead driver has failed to score a single point since the team’s inception in

raymondu999

By the sound of it, it looks like they're transplanting the chassis - rather than carrying the design forward :shock:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Intego

:shock:
Heikki Kovalainen wrote:Heikki Kovalainen claims Caterham is planning to use its current chassis as the basis for the 2013 car. [...]
“But when the team has decided to continue with the same chassis for the new car, it may not be a good sign,” said the 31-year-old.
Caterham to use 2012 chassis next year
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Forza

MyCaterhamF1 wrote:Charles Pic confirmed as Caterham F1 Team race driver on a multi-year deal: http://is.gd/Tg9rtZ

astracrazy
astracrazy

perhaps they are focusing a lot on 2014? With the rules pretty stable, they prob want to spend more of the development on the rest of the car?

Huntresa
Huntresa

Isnt that like 6 months old news ? That they would use 212 for 2013.

wesley123
wesley123

That is just really disappointing. Sign of bad things to come? Heikki also giving a comment that the team will sure like. Are we going to see someone else next to Petrov?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Intego

Huntresa wrote:Isnt that like 6 months old news ? That they would use 212 for 2013.
:oops:
However, I find it quite astonishing, normally you would say "the CT-02 will be an evolution", but it more sounds like "we'll go on vacations with HRT the next months.

In the second half of this year Marussia more and more closed the gap and will have KERS next year. To me it's not sure whether they will really be pushing forward with this approach. But we will see ...
wesley123 wrote:That is just really disappointing. Sign of bad things to come? Heikki also giving a comment that the team will sure like. Are we going to see someone else next to Petrov?
Are we going to see Petrov, at all? Charles Pic is fixed.
Caterham signs Marussia's Charles Pic for 2013 Formula 1 season
Last edited by Intego on 23 Nov 2012, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

wesley123
wesley123

Intego wrote:
wesley123 wrote:That is just really disappointing. Sign of bad things to come? Heikki also giving a comment that the team will sure like. Are we going to see someone else next to Petrov?
Are we going to see Petrov, at all? Charles Pic is fixed.
Caterham signs Marussia's Charles Pic for 2013 Formula 1 season
Didnt know that yet. Maybe Pic and Petrov there? I cannot imagine the team liking Heikki saying how bad it is of the team that they wont run a new tub next year, also in this critical part of the season as of driver line up saying these things shows a bit how the line up will continue. I doubt a driver that stays with the team would say the same thing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender