Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

ergenomic wrote:
point is, Sony has a history of sponsoring motorsport divisions, though not as 'big' as being a 'title' sponsor [if they're at all gonna be one, it's just rumour].
You are right, that is the point. These minor (local/regional) advertising relationships are all handled at the sales company level, i.e. NHRA (drag) would be through SCE USA and the older WEGA stuff would be through something similar.

If you want to see what Sony does when it wants to advertise globally and is sanctioned by the head office you need to be referring to these:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisat ... apartners/
http://www.sponsorship.com/About-IEG/Sp ... Spons.aspx

As mentioned, there are within policy. Interestingly discovered that Sony are leaving FIFA after the South Africa World Cup
http://www.sony.net/united/fifa/
Which would free funds for another global deal which could mean F1. However as mentioned this would have to be with a change of policy as the company does not advertise in certain areas.
Ah, i was mistaken in your direction then. :wink: yes, Sony leaving Fifa IS a interesting development.
and yes, if that is still Sony's actual policy, then that'll need to change. however, i'm not afraid that would prove a problem.
Let's just say FIFA isn't the most notorious 'uncorrupted' sport in the world, so switching from FIFA to F1 shouldn't be too big a problem.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

McG

Really enjoying this thread. You guys really know your stuff.
F1 is dead.

ergenomic
ergenomic

Fully agree that the policy is able to change, Kaz Hirai is a rule breaker and company shaper... there is every chance that he could partner with Honda in sponsoring McLaren, Sony and Honda have close relations. I would think that there is a good chance if they are not going to be renewing their FIFA world cup sponsorship... considering that is for $300M over 9 years, and they are willing to shift to F1, there is a chance that they would be able to finf $20-$30M per year.

LG were an official FIA F1 championship sponsor (technology partner IIRC), Sony would be more likely to join as a team sponsor should that not exist, does anybody know the status?

ScottB
ScottB

Weren't LG the timekeeper, then replaced by Rolex? Might be getting mixed up here!

astracrazy
astracrazy

Mika1 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/420567139020324864

no mention of there title sponsor though which was rumoured to be released at the same time. You'd think they would mention this as well?
Before the Mercedes W04 launch, nobody knew Blackberry would be a new sponsor. I expect the same here.
but that wasn't a title sponsor which i would say is slightly different...you'd expect at least some mention and slightly more than an online event.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

perhaps there won't be a sponsor reveal this year at all.

or perhaps the sponsor prefers a more personal approach, perhaps even wait untill first test sessions
are over and mclaren shows some pace [even if it's just testing].
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

astracrazy wrote:
Mika1 wrote:
astracrazy wrote:https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/420567139020324864

no mention of there title sponsor though which was rumoured to be released at the same time. You'd think they would mention this as well?
Before the Mercedes W04 launch, nobody knew Blackberry would be a new sponsor. I expect the same here.
but that wasn't a title sponsor which i would say is slightly different...you'd expect at least some mention and slightly more than an online event.
They do want to do it strictly online (no press at the launch). I'll just assume they stream it live from the new sponsor's headquarters, which they couldn't if they allowed media to participate (it would instantly give away who the sponsor will be).

Essentially I believe it'll be now a cat 'n mouse game between the press and mclaren now :P. They'll have to ship the parts unnoticed to the sponsor in order to not give away both location and sponsor.
#AeroFrodo

FoxHound

turbof1 wrote: Essentially I believe it'll be now a cat 'n mouse game between the press and mclaren now :P. They'll have to ship the parts unnoticed to the sponsor in order to not give away both location and sponsor.
A dozen articulated lorries turn up every few days and each go in separate directions.
Job done.
JET set

Gridlock

I'm leaning toward Honda being 'title' sponsor and 2014 being an empty year. But then I rarely bet against Mr Saward.

turbof1

I don't believe that. Back when mclaren got free mercedes engines, they had West tobacco as their head sponsor and later on vodafone. Of course the possibility is there they simply couldn't find one, but I think not one team out there would dare to be so easy going concerning a milti million dollar sponsor deal.

I believe the secrecy around the launch, we only have a date without a location, gives away that they found a big sponsor. Shrouding it in secrecy will generate talk now before the launch, and after when the sponsor is revealed. This whole mascarade reeks of marketing.
#AeroFrodo

Gridlock

Giving a date you'll announce it (twice now?) and then not announcing it is so far from being the Mclaren way...

ScottB
ScottB

turbof1 wrote:I don't believe that. Back when mclaren got free mercedes engines, they had West tobacco as their head sponsor and later on vodafone. Of course the possibility is there they simply couldn't find one, but I think not one team out there would dare to be so easy going concerning a milti million dollar sponsor deal.

I believe the secrecy around the launch, we only have a date without a location, gives away that they found a big sponsor. Shrouding it in secrecy will generate talk now before the launch, and after when the sponsor is revealed. This whole mascarade reeks of marketing.
There was a year long gap between West and Vodafone where they didn't have one, Johnny Walker and Emirates shared the prominent logo slots. Something similar could happen I guess, it doesn't look like Mclaren are short of a few quid at the moment in any case.

ajprice
ajprice

If they hold off a year on a sponsor until Honda in 2015, the 'Volcano orange' colour could be an alternative to papaya orange, and Lucozade, Maximuscle or Tooned as a main logo. All the cars on their stand, F1 car included, were painted that colour at the Paris show for the P1 launch.

ScottB
ScottB

GSK have sold off Lucozade unfortunately