Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Nando
Nando

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

Nando wrote:I also strongly doubt Brawn will go, he´s the one with the vision and surely wants to stay until the good times arrive.
If anything he knows it takes time to reach sucess like with Ferrari.

Great news with Paddy Lowe but i get the feeling there´s too many chefs trying to make the soup now.
But maybe it´ll work out just fine.
And as i say that i read this LOL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21143847

Formula 1: Ross Brawn role at Mercedes under threat
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Nando wrote: And as i say that i read this LOL.

Read and this :)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105232

Mika1
Mika1

k.ko100v wrote:
Nando wrote: And as i say that i read this LOL.

Read and this :)

I don't believe Toto. When you have to say that, it's over. Toto and Lowe in, Brawn and Fry out.
The boss follows me on twitter.

pocketmoon

More speculation but Mercedes gave Brawn a big wedge of cash for Brawn GP back in 2010 after bailing them out with an engine for 09. Norbert has been there to keep an eye on things for the big M but he was definitely 'old school' management - 'keep up the good work and lets have a beer'. So Mercedes could take a very hard-noses approach to this.

Mr Wolff is a whole different ballgame. If he's to be believed then this round of musical chairs only kicked off a few weeks ago;

From http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/01/ ... oto-wolff/

"this happened a couple of weeks ago. It started with a conversation about Mercedes’s situation in F1.”

It's not difficult to image that conversation.

[EDIT]

Mind you autosport article suggests Ross is safe...

Shakeman

Once we see, "...the Mercedes board have the full confidence in Ross Brawn as team principal" we'll know he's on his way.

Until then...

elf341
elf341

Removing Brawn would be a mistake.

I think the rumours may have originated in truth, but that of Nick Fry's departure. For that I am actually rather pleased, he always seemed a bit of a pretender to me - thankfully we've been hearing less comments from him out of this team in recent years.

I'm also a bit sceptical about Lowe wanting to be a team principal. Normally you get situations where the TD has to step up, e.g. in Bell's case (renualt), and also in Willis' case (bar)- and you normally hear about them very much disliking the job which is more about politics, risk and resource management, than the joys of technical research and leadership.

You win championships by having a very fast car, and then on top of that you must have your 'edge'. This is something that makes you uniquely competitive, and in F1 may even be borderline legal or in fact illegal (but undetectable). Brawn understands this, but his main drawback recently has been not getting the former right and devoting resources to find the edge without having the fast car first. McLaren under Lowe's leadership have tended to have the former (bar hat tip for 2010 F-duct) - and it hasn't resulted in that many championships. I think Hamilton understood this general point.

Mika1
Mika1

Well, we'll see what happen. One thing is clear for me, Lowe would be a great addition to the team.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I wonder if someone told Hamilton that Mercedes were looking to get Lowe in to the team. That might have been a plus point for him in his decision to move teams. Lowe knows his stuff and, like Newey, he might be able to turn that in to a title winning car if he's given a bit of lattitude - something that doesn't appear to be the case in "Ron's World".

Anyway, until we see Paddy in MercAMG livery it's just an interesting rumour...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

=D> I'm hoping these are more than just rumors. [-o< Brawn's ticket may have been punched when Schumacher was shown the door. He essentially received a no confidence vote. :twisted: The timing is right to trim the rose bush as big changes are on the way in 2014. 8)

Nando
Nando

Would love to see "Yoda" in Mercedes. Should be a more open environment as well as someone pointed to.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

jav
jav

OppositeLock wrote:=D> I'm hoping these are more than just rumors. [-o< Brawn's ticket may have been punched when Schumacher was shown the door. He essentially received a no confidence vote. :twisted: The timing is right to trim the rose bush as big changes are on the way in 2014. 8)

I don't believe Schumi was shown the door...at least not in a matter of fact sense. Schumacher always towed the company line in public, never letting on what's really behind the curtain. I believe that after 3 years, he had little confidence this technical team would suddenly achieve what they couldn't in the previous 3. So he didn't commit to a 4th year and was fine with the teams choice to get Hamilton.

I don't believe for 1 second that if Schumi thought a winning car was truely in the works, after 3 years of struggling, that he 'd have ANY reluctance in gving it another year. Despite his PR optimism- I think he expected what many of us fans expect... another disappointing season.

clipsy1H

it was clear since last season (2012), the Mercedes to kick out Ross..... Lewis is the last chance for him if this season Lewis and especially car didn't perform probably Ross have to find another team. In an interview about Lewis told us that he started talks with Hamilton around last Christmas (2011) so he knew what could happen with his post :roll:. In my opinion Michael was the safe driver for him ... now without him anything can happen... we have to see the facts! after Schumacher retirement Norbert has pushed out from team! next guy is Ross (and i think it's the right move... Mercedes can't afford to have 1 win in 3 years!!)
I also think if Schumacher retires in 2011, most likely at the end of this season Ross was dismissed.. it was a team (MIchael + Ross + Norbert) so after 3 years full off bad results Mercedes wants to change this team! and bring Lewis and now they have to build a team around him.

Mika1
Mika1

The situation:
-Ross Brawn
-Nick Fry
-Geoff Willis
-Bob Bell
-Aldo Costa
-Mike Elliot
-Nikki Lauda
-Toto Wolff
-Paddy Lowe

You can be sure someone has to go. I expect Brawn and Fry.

Shakeman

Mika1 wrote:The situation:
-Ross Brawn
-Nick Fry
-Geoff Willis
-Bob Bell
-Aldo Costa
-Mike Elliot
-Nikki Lauda
-Toto Wolff
-Paddy Lowe

You can be sure someone has to go. I expect Brawn and Fry.
There's space at Williams to fill with Williams to become Merc B team or technology partner in light of FI uncertainty.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

aral
aral

jav wrote:
OppositeLock wrote:=D> I'm hoping these are more than just rumors. [-o< Brawn's ticket may have been punched when Schumacher was shown the door. He essentially received a no confidence vote. :twisted: The timing is right to trim the rose bush as big changes are on the way in 2014. 8)

I don't believe Schumi was shown the door...at least not in a matter of fact sense. Schumacher always towed the company line in public, never letting on what's really behind the curtain. I believe that after 3 years, he had little confidence this technical team would suddenly achieve what they couldn't in the previous 3. So he didn't commit to a 4th year and was fine with the teams choice to get Hamilton.

I don't believe for 1 second that if Schumi thought a winning car was truely in the works, after 3 years of struggling, that he 'd have ANY reluctance in gving it another year. Despite his PR optimism- I think he expected what many of us fans expect... another disappointing season.
Of course Schumi was shown the door. The talks and agreement with Hamilton, dated back to APRIL. So from then on, Merc F1 KNEW that Schumacher would not be staying with the team.