Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mika1
Mika1

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

Indeed, when they would start a fight and crashed, everybody saying ''they shouldn't do that''. I understand Brawn here, but ofc I don't like to see this.
The boss follows me on twitter.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

At least Mercedes aren't struggling for points. They're holding their own at the moment. A little inter-team squabble should keep the team fired up and striving for more. :twisted:

Shakeman

They obviously have an agreement that they race until last pitstop then bring the cars home and sometimes that looks arse because the second car has an overwhelming advantage. You have to keep to team agreements otherwise you end up with the RB situation that will be toxic in the team. The RB situation will rumble on this year.

Merc played it well and Lewis was the one that benefitted but who's to say Nico won't be the benefactor in the future?

The drivers are very close which means that it's even more important to stick to prearranged agreements because the slightest hint of favouritism will be destructive.

The alternative is no team orders which was impossible to police anyway.

sAx
sAx

thomin wrote:Just on German TV: Lauda and Wolff both criticizing Ross for his decision to call off Rosberg....
Whilst over on SkyF1, Wolff says he understood the need for Ross to make the decision. So you pays your money.....
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

beelsebob
beelsebob

A few things various people have said have hinted that Rosberg was tight on fuel too, and would not have made the end if released. It may well be that half the reason for the order was to hold Rosberg back to the same pace that Hamilton was maintaining to save fuel.

thomin

Shakeman wrote:They obviously have an agreement that they race until last pitstop then bring the cars home and sometimes that looks arse because the second car has an overwhelming advantage. You have to keep to team agreements otherwise you end up with the RB situation that will be toxic in the team. The RB situation will rumble on this year.

Merc played it well and Lewis was the one that benefitted but who's to say Nico won't be the benefactor in the future?

The drivers are very close which means that it's even more important to stick to prearranged agreements because the slightest hint of favouritism will be destructive.

The alternative is no team orders which was impossible to police anyway.
The point wasn't so much that Rosberg should have ignored his orders the way Vettel did, but that maybe the order was wrong to begin with, at least Lauda was very clear on that and Toto said he totally agreed.

Also, Jenson and Lewis showed several times over the last years that when two drivers respect one another, they can fight on the track without crashing.

Having said that, of course for the team, this order was the smart thing to do, and Brawn has always played it like this, which is probably part of the reason of his successes. But McLaren has always maintained that the faster driver should win and apparently Lauda and Wolff agree.

wunderkind
wunderkind

beelsebob wrote:A few things various people have said have hinted that Rosberg was tight on fuel too, and would not have made the end if released. It may well be that half the reason for the order was to hold Rosberg back to the same pace that Hamilton was maintaining to save fuel.
Yes, definitely. Both cars were short on fuel and the risk of two DNF's was too great for the team to take. They short-fuelled the car in anticipation for rain and some saefty car periods during the race. I think it was a sensible call even in hindsight. It was just that neither took place during the race.

clipsy1H

wunderkind wrote:
beelsebob wrote:A few things various people have said have hinted that Rosberg was tight on fuel too, and would not have made the end if released. It may well be that half the reason for the order was to hold Rosberg back to the same pace that Hamilton was maintaining to save fuel.
Yes, definitely. Both cars were short on fuel and the risk of two DNF's was too great for the team to take. They short-fuelled the car in anticipation for rain and some saefty car periods during the race. I think it was a sensible call even in hindsight. It was just that neither took place during the race.
not really ... rosberg could end if you re-watch race when he ask team to let race Lewis he already think about RB so why he do that if it was on low fuel?
It was a silly decision for Ross ... he should let Nico race and i'm sure Lewis would more happy than now. I don't know how accurate Lauda interview is but we must to not forget! Mercedes is a GERMAN team . money comes from Germany few sponsors comes for Germany and Nico is German and i'm sure there is people in Mercedes board who wants to talk with Ross and to ask him why in the world made this stupid decision because it wasn't Nico fault for Lewis fuel (it was team fault)

and btw: nice article (idk if it was posted earlier in this thread) http://www.crash.net/f1/news/189203/1/l ... _move.html
Last edited by clipsy1H on 24 Mar 2013, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

clipsy1H wrote:
wunderkind wrote:
not really ... rosberg could end if you re-watch race when he ask team to let race Lewis he already think about RB so why he do that if it was on low fuel?
He would do that because it's true – he could drive much faster and get after the RedBulls. But then... So could Lewis.

He would use the fact that he could go much faster to try and justify that he wanted to be on the podium. He also almost certainly had no clue at that point how much fuel he had, or needed.

dren

Ross let the two race for quite a few laps. Nico couldn't get a large enough gap in. Instead of risking a crash between the two, Ross made the team decision to get the most from the points. I would have done the same. This is very much a team sport as it is an individual one.

Overall good race today for Mercedes. They are quick in qualification and also in the race.
Honda!

clipsy1H

beelsebob wrote: He would do that because it's true – he could drive much faster and get after the RedBulls. But then... So could Lewis.

He would use the fact that he could go much faster to try and justify that he wanted to be on the podium. He also almost certainly had no clue at that point how much fuel he had, or needed.
in my opinion things are: Lewis was fastest and he ended on podium without problems maybe he can fight with red bull for win or for higher place but he ran out of fuel so i also think nico deserve to be on podium because he can manage everything (fuel tyres race pace) so like i said in last message it wasn't his fault for Lewis problem.
Mercedes accepts their mistake and they wanted Lewis to not be affected by this mistake because Hamilton drove brilliant today but with this decision they make another mistake.
And with all these decision now Lewis feel that he owe Nico and it's not right! we don't know in next races when Lewis decide to let Nico past and not forget peoples makes bets on races so that's not cool.
dren wrote:Ross let the two race for quite a few laps. Nico couldn't get a large enough gap in. Instead of risking a crash between the two, Ross made the team decision to get the most from the points. I would have done the same. This is very much a team sport as it is an individual one.

Overall good race today for Mercedes. They are quick in qualification and also in the race.
no... Nico doesn't even tried to overtake Lewis after first radio he just wanted to show us that he's much faster and deserve to be on podium for this reason he stayed close to Lewis till end. Couldn't be any crash because Nico was much faster and Lewis needs to save fuel so he can't fight.

Mika1
Mika1

clipsy1H wrote:
wunderkind wrote:
It was a silly decision for Ross ... he should let Nico race and i'm sure Lewis would more happy than now. I don't know how accurate Lauda interview is but we must to not forget! Mercedes is a GERMAN team . money comes from Germany few sponsors comes for Germany and Nico is German and i'm sure there is people in Mercedes board who wants to talk with Ross and to ask him why in the world made this stupid decision because it wasn't Nico fault for Lewis fuel (it was team fault)

and btw: nice article (idk if it was posted earlier in this thread) http://www.crash.net/f1/news/189203/1/l ... _move.html
..it's still the Brackley team and the engine devision is in the UK too. They rate Hamilton very high.
The boss follows me on twitter.

clipsy1H

Mika1 wrote:...it's still the Brackley team and the engine devision is in the UK too. They rate Hamilton very high.
lol that's quite funny ... Mercedes is a German auto brand! Puma . Allianz are german companies and if i'm not wrong but the boss of Mercedes is also German?
Doesn't matter where F1 team have base ... just money matter and money comes from Stuttgart, Germany and by the way team use a German license so they represents Germany not UK.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

Rosberg was leading the 2011 Chinese GP race but was told to start fuel saving. It's incompetence from Brawn if the fuel saving story is true. :evil: They were better on the tires than Red Bull but they couldn't apply the pressure at the end. Nonetheless, Mercedes are off to their best start ever.

wunderkind
wunderkind

OppositeLock wrote:Rosberg was leading the 2011 Chinese GP race but was told to start fuel saving. It's incompetence from Brawn if the fuel saving story is true. :evil: They were better on the tires than Red Bull but they couldn't apply the pressure at the end. Nonetheless, Mercedes are off to their best start ever.
Ross did admit during the race that they were "a little rusty". Let's just hope they don't make it a habit.