Sauber F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gridlock

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2013

Whenever Gutierrez pops up I get flashbacks to those "F1 In Schools" segments. I feel so old.

Glad to see someone other than HHHHilton HHHotels is doing these guides now.

sAx
sAx

Something strangely reminiscent about the mannerisms and speech of Esteban Gutierrez and a 3x WDC F1 great (...est?) *spooky*!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

R_Redding
R_Redding

Willem Toet gave a fascinating Lanchester lecture to the Royal Aeronautical society last year about F1 aerodynamics and car design... 1 hour long.

http://media.aerosociety.com/channel/20 ... la-1/5441/

Rob

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

korzeniow
korzeniow

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

This season's Sauber struggles are down to Monisha Kaltenborn lack of expirience.

Why would they go for such a revolutionary car when next year the rules change anyway? That's stupid.

Moreover, they will be on the back foot with the 2014 campaign because they will put a lot of effort into this season's car trying to figure out what's wrong with it...
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

zorog
zorog

korzeniow wrote:This season's Sauber struggles are down to Monisha Kaltenborn lack of expirience.

Why would they go for such a revolutionary car when next year the rules change anyway? That's stupid.

Moreover, they will be on the back foot with the 2014 campaign because they will put a lot of effort into this season's car trying to figure out what's wrong with it...
Monisha's role is to assemble the team and get the best people she can, I doubt she has much technical influence regarding development direction.

I think its too early to judge the merits of their current design if the following is true:
wheels24 wrote:Referring to McLaren and Sauber, Swiss newspaper Blick's technical expert Mike Hammer said: "Both teams now believe they know where the problem lies. It has to do with the new Pirelli tyres. They are more angular than in 2012 and then deform differently in the corners, which has a great influence on aerodynamics.

"Millimetres play a role but the 60% tyre for the wind-tunnel models have led McLaren and Sauber astray.”

An unnamed McLaren engineer agreed: "They (the Pirelli tyre models) are much worse than 2012."

Faced with the latest criticism, Pirelli's motorsport director, Paul Hembery said: "We are talking about 11 teams with 11 different wind tunnels. It is not easy to build good 60% tyres.”

The theory would explain why teams which made significant changes during the northern winter have suffered disproportionately so far tin 2013.(sic)

source

Kiril Varbanov

Sauber are releasing a series of videos on their site, including pit stop anatomy and some CFD stuff, like this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ulqzRR9UA[/youtube]

stefan_
stefan_

Here is another one - fuel slosh CFD simulation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iyh-S-LGN8[/youtube]

Richard
Richard

Thanks Stefan. I love the attention to detail, the fact that F1 teams model the fuel baffles for the actual forces experienced on track.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

zorog wrote:...

Monisha's role is to assemble the team and get the best people she can, I doubt she has much technical influence regarding development direction.

And how, as a corporate lawyer, is she supposed to determine who the best people are(except in the legal department)? If she doesn't shape the technical direction, who does? and who decides when there are technical differences. This is PC run amok. nobody dares criticize having a lawyer running an F1 team because "oh, this is great having a woman running an F1 team." i'm all for that, but let's have some woman who's technically literate instead of a lawyer.

aral
aral

flyboy2160 wrote:
zorog wrote:...

And how, as a corporate lawyer, is she supposed to determine who the best people are(except in the legal department)? If she doesn't shape the technical direction, who does? and who decides when there are technical differences. This is PC run amok. nobody dares criticize having a lawyer running an F1 team because "oh, this is great having a woman running an F1 team." i'm all for that, but let's have some woman who's technically literate instead of a lawyer.
How do you know what abilities Monisha has? I reckon that she is more up to the job than you or me.

Richard
Richard

Being TP shouldn't necessarily be limited to technical people, its a role that requires team leadership, not technical leadership (that's the TD). Other examples of non-tech TPs are Stefano Domenicali, Vijay Mallya, Flavio Briatore, some chap called Ecclestone, and another bloke called Moseley.

stefan_
stefan_

Racer X

I think Esteban will be let go if Telmex is no longer their main Sponsor. With his performances I dont see them keeping the young Mexican he does not show enough speed to be kept.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ