Sauber F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Sauber F1 Team 2013

Russian funding secures Sauber future

One way or the other, there is obviously some oligarch behind this, perhaps even MrP?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Racer X

Sauber now has Mexican and Russian Funding. If Telmex Stays in 2014 Esteban will stay. The Russians want Sergey Sirotkin to race for the team so Hulk has to leave. Or Hulk stays and Esteban leaves Formula 1 no team will take him with out Telmex. He hasnt shown any class. Hes just a pay driver
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Sombrero
Sombrero

I hope that's a good deal. But these days you need to be very careful...

xpensive
xpensive

Racer X wrote:Sauber now has Mexican and Russian Funding.
That concept doesn't sound right somehow?

turbof1

Sombrero wrote:I hope that's a good deal. But these days you need to be very careful...
My honest opinion? I'm not the sort to believe in whacky conspiracy theories and have been proven to be a little naïve on such things, but in this case I really fear that deal. Those Russian companies could easily have abused the situation, and might consider Sauber nothing more then a tool which use ranges from legal tax invasion to money laundering.
#AeroFrodo

xpensive
xpensive

At least I'm old enough to remember one Alex Schneider, who after the big plans finished off Jordan.

WhiteBlue

The deal seems to primarily focus on Sirotkin.
The British Telegraph newspaper reports that Sirotkin is the son of Oleg Sirotkin, the chief of one of Sauber's new backers, the National Institute of Aviation Technologies.
The guy is 17 years old and lies eighths in the Renault world series. There is absolutely no reason for Sauber to use Sirotkin but the money his father pumps into Sauber.
on July 15, 2013 at 9:49 am | Reply Joe Saward "The Russian guy is 17. He needs more time."
So at least one very prominent observer thinks that Sirotkin is not ready to step into the Sauber.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

turbof1

It does look too quick. It should be noted though that Kimi had more or less the same experience when he got hired by Sauber. Still, Kimi dominated in the few races he drove before F1; the same can't be said about this Russian kid.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

Putin's pay driver.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:Putin's pay driver.
Just as I suspected, there was something fishy about all this. I can appreciate that Peter Sauber can be desperate to stay in business, but this is preposterous, an oligarch paying for his 17 year-old to get the chance in 1?

When is that Russia GP supposed to happen anyway? :wink:

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:When is that Russia GP supposed to happen anyway? :wink:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/01/25/r ... 014-mayor/
November 2014 unless some bad things happen. If the Olympics are threatened by the F1 building work they will delay the race to 2015 they have said. But even November 2014 is some time into the future. If they do not give Sorotkin the whole season but only put him in for the last races they have a bit more time.

xpensive
xpensive

The Sirotkin family seems to have long history in the neo-Russia with connections to Gazprom, which was expcted of course.

Racer X

Well we have a British pay driver son of some rich guy Chilton.
Then you have the Mexican pay driver Esteban and the Venezuelan pay driver and just about all the midfield teams have them we have only a hand full of true drivers. Get used to it I guess'?

Our sport needs to let a couple rich kids driver around in circles in the back of the grid to be able to cover its overhead expense's. This is sad then we also have French money pushing for Prost Jr. He might have some talent tho.

Be honest does anyone still consider Sergio a pay driver?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ringo

No return of Petrov?
For Sure!!

iotar__

ringo wrote:No return of Petrov?
Only one seat available (Slim) and it's not his father but Sorotkin's that is involved, so no.
Racer X wrote:Well we have a British pay driver son of some rich guy Chilton.
Then you have the Mexican pay driver Esteban and the Venezuelan pay driver and just about all the midfield teams have them we have only a hand full of true drivers. Get used to it I guess'?

Our sport needs to let a couple rich kids driver around in circles in the back of the grid to be able to cover its overhead expense's. This is sad then we also have French money pushing for Prost Jr. He might have some talent tho.

Be honest does anyone still consider Sergio a pay driver?
"Pay driver" Perez had couple of good podiums, was close to a win and now at McLaren is comparable to Button. "Pay driver" Maldonado won the race in Barcelona and apart from a bit of luck (Hamilton) this win was as good as any. "Pay driver" Petrov had a very solid podium and couple of decent seasons compared to established drivers.

The other issue apart from direct money is how being from the right marketing-wise country can help you land the seat and changes perception of anything you do. If Maldonado wasn't from Venezuela I bet we would be hearing local journos salivating about this win until today. Vettel "inferior midfield car" Monza style hype. Being associated with big team's young driver program helps too. You don't have to drive a single lap in F1 to be a candidate fot replacing Webber in Red Bull like Vergne, or all you need to be faster than Chilton to be "considered" for Ferrari seat. And many people are buying it. It helped Perez to wash driver with money stigma.

Since Sorotkin is not from the right country, not from some young driver's program and brings money it's clear he sucks and is not some supertalent prodigy. I wish I could comment on him but I'm afraid I watched half an hour combined of WsR this season, unlike everyone on the internet boards right now.

Safe bet is he would benefit from at least one season in GP2. The problem with that you might get beaten or make mistakes and your hype goes down (Bianchi). One of the reasons apart from money why I suspect Red Bull don't bother with it. It's easier to keep an illusion of success without comparisons. Wasn't Alguersuari as young when Marko threw him into F1 in the middle of the season before chewing and spitting him out? Speaking of not being prepared, poor guy couldn't always keep concentration, good thing nothing happened to him in Suzuka (was his crash in Japan?).

BTW will Sorotkin get super license?