Williams F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
sennaf1god.94

Re: Williams Mercedes F1 Team 2014

LookBackTime wrote:SUCCESS OF UPGRADES HELPS WILLIAMS CLOSE THE GAP TO ITS RIVALS

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/06/s ... to-rivals/
Williams are closing the gap mainly because of softer tyres...

In the last race they were the fastest in racetrim not by chance.

While Pirelli claims that teams are behind the huge fall in times since the first race, the main reason why they are falling is because Pirelli started the season with tyres TWO steps harder than last year...

While in the last two races they tried more NORMAL compounds, but still ONE step harder than last year!

I remind all of you that the current range of Pirelli tyres are one step harder than last year, so a 2014 supersoft equals to a (late) 2013 soft, and so on...

#-o
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

joseff

At the risk of stereotyping, fire and ice right there, really.

Sevach
Sevach

Williams just didn't want the win today.

"oh you are going to undercut, please feel free to do it".

dragvorl
dragvorl

Their pitstop timing was plain wrong. :roll:
Life is funny, skies are sunny
Bees make honey, who needs money

MOWOG

No matter how good the driver, it takes a team to be successful in Formula One. It's hard to imagine why Sir Frank's team, with 4 decades of experience, should have difficulty with pit stop strategy but they clearly did in today's race. Maybe they are delighted with 3 and 4, but the result could have been even better with better thinking from the pit wall. :idea:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Sevach
Sevach

No doubt the result is pretty good for their constructors hopes, but they could've made more of an effort to win this race.

Skett
Skett

MOWOG wrote:No matter how good the driver, it takes a team to be successful in Formula One. It's hard to imagine why Sir Frank's team, with 4 decades of experience, should have difficulty with pit stop strategy but they clearly did in today's race. Maybe they are delighted with 3 and 4, but the result could have been even better with better thinking from the pit wall. :idea:
From what people have been saying I get the impression they felt that points were needed so badly they were just going for the safe points and didn't want to risk fighting too hard. Not unreasonable given how far back in the championship they are tbh

Mr Brooksy

Skett wrote:
MOWOG wrote:No matter how good the driver, it takes a team to be successful in Formula One. It's hard to imagine why Sir Frank's team, with 4 decades of experience, should have difficulty with pit stop strategy but they clearly did in today's race. Maybe they are delighted with 3 and 4, but the result could have been even better with better thinking from the pit wall. :idea:
From what people have been saying I get the impression they felt that points were needed so badly they were just going for the safe points and didn't want to risk fighting too hard. Not unreasonable given how far back in the championship they are tbh
I honestly think 2013 really hurt Williams confidence in themselves after a mini revival in 2012. Thus playing it safe to get the most team points possible attitude. Having said that, who really would have put money on Williams challenging Mercedes for race wins by race 8 this time last year?
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

sennaf1god.94

joseff wrote:
At the risk of stereotyping, fire and ice right there, really.
Looking at Jense recently and comparing him with the one I meet in 2011 after trashing Hamilton, I noticed how much weight he had lost for this new regs.

Valteri looks overweight, maybe that´s the reason for the last tenth in Q3, specially since he is apparently taller than Massa.

Anyway in raceday he is usually more competitive. But that tenth multiplied for 70 laps...

:roll:
I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.

Ayrton Senna da Silva

mart280
mart280

Mr Brooksy wrote:
Skett wrote:
I honestly think 2013 really hurt Williams confidence in themselves after a mini revival in 2012. Thus playing it safe to get the most team points possible attitude. Having said that, who really would have put money on Williams challenging Mercedes for race wins by race 8 this time last year?
Absolutely no one, I think they new from the outset on Sunday exactly what they were aiming for had a plan and stuck to it, while hoping Mercedes have the same troubles as Canada, if they had Williams would have picked up an easy win. The team have proved to themselves that they can do It and score a truck load of points and I bet the next time they are in this position they will go all out for the win.

MOWOG

Yeah, after the race, Rob Smedley suggested they had their own bundle of issues they needed to manage to get the cars home and across the finish line and they felt that the points for 3 and 4 were just fine, thank you very much. Those points will translate into a bunch of extra money flowing to Williams. So it might be fair to say they settled. But if so, it was a smart move. I rather think if they finished 3-4 in every race for the remainder of the season, they would be quite a happy lot.

Heck, Sir Frank might even crack a smile if that happened! :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

mart280
mart280

MOWOG wrote:Yeah, after the race, Rob Smedley suggested they had their own bundle of issues they needed to manage to get the cars home and across the finish line and they felt that the points for 3 and 4 were just fine, thank you very much. Those points will translate into a bunch of extra money flowing to Williams. So it might be fair to say they settled. But if so, it was a smart move. I rather think if they finished 3-4 in every race for the remainder of the season, they would be quite a happy lot.

Heck, Sir Frank might even crack a smile if that happened! :P
Give Frank a break he's always smiling

Cam

MOWOG wrote:Yeah, after the race, Rob Smedley suggested they had their own bundle of issues they needed to manage to get the cars home and across the finish line and they felt that the points for 3 and 4 were just fine, thank you very much. Those points will translate into a bunch of extra money flowing to Williams. So it might be fair to say they settled. But if so, it was a smart move. I rather think if they finished 3-4 in every race for the remainder of the season, they would be quite a happy lot.
I disagree. This is what the sport has become - a coast to save everything (engines, gearboxes, fuel, results), is that what brings respect? From a fan's perspective, no. Sure, it might bring a team some money, but when you witness a sportsperson leaving something on the table, I can't help but feel a little cheated. Going out in a cloud of smoke pushing 100% - I'll respect every day.

To quote the man himself - the one person that really exemplifies what F1 was:
Senna wrote:When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Cam wrote:This is what the sport has become - a coast to save everything (engines, gearboxes, fuel, results)...
I think Prost would argue that this is nothing new to F1; it's not a generational thing (or even and F1 thing), just a fundamental philosophy difference. Risk vs reward, and present vs future judgements are part of sports in general, and I think we should trust that Williams is trying to put itself in the best position possible so they can contribute to even better racing in the future.