Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
henra
henra

Re: Red Bull RB10 Renault

Pup wrote:I think McLaren are supposed to have an exclusive on Honda engines for 2015. I don't know if that was officially confirmed though.
Hmm, I wouldn't put all my Money on that. If RB is really knocking on their door, things might change quickly.
With McLaren and Mercedes that was at a time when McLaren was Mercedes' more or less official works team and they were financially still involved IIRC.

I'm not sure that is the official staus with McLaren and Honda at this point in time.
Intentions have been stated and probably MoU's signed but I doubt much more has been signed as of today.
I'm happy to stand corrected by a reliable source or other convincing evidence, though.

Lazy
Lazy

henra wrote:
Pup wrote:I think McLaren are supposed to have an exclusive on Honda engines for 2015. I don't know if that was officially confirmed though.
Hmm, I wouldn't put all my Money on that. If RB is really knocking on their door, things might change quickly.
With McLaren and Mercedes that was at a time when McLaren was Mercedes' more or less official works team and they were financially still involved IIRC.

I'm not sure that is the official staus with McLaren and Honda at this point in time.
Intentions have been stated and probably MoU's signed but I doubt much more has been signed as of today.
I'm happy to stand corrected by a reliable source or other convincing evidence, though.
From what I understand of Japanese culture that sort of behaviour would be heavily frowned upon. Plus RB's record on ERS's is poor so I don't think they'd be keen on that sort of risk.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

darkmninya wrote:Even then, ferrari will never give them engines, and red bull wanted mercedes way back, nut.mercedes said they will never allow that.

So in summary red bull is in trouble
Actually, RedBull went with Renault because Newey wanted the low heat rejection characteristics of the V8 unit. He likes tight, aero optimised bodywork and the Renault of the time allowed for that. Sadly for Newey and RBR, the current Renault isn't so accommodating.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

aral
aral

Just_a_fan wrote:
darkmninya wrote:Even then, ferrari will never give them engines, and red bull wanted mercedes way back, nut.mercedes said they will never allow that.

Actually, RedBull went with Renault because Newey wanted the low heat rejection characteristics of the V8 unit. He likes tight, aero optimised bodywork and the Renault of the time allowed for that. Sadly for Newey and RBR, the current Renault isn't so accommodating.
And dont forget, it was the Merc partner, McLaren, that vetoed the supply of Merc enines to RBR!

Blackout

Just_a_fan wrote:

Too early to say that.
The RS26 was one of the most powerful V8 in 2006 too, by the way, if not the most powerful according to many insiders. And then yes it lost some ground to the others in the power area but it became the most fuel efficient, according to many insiders too. And then Renault continued developing that engine with RBR and they created many interesting technical solutions which the other engines didnt have at that time... They did an incredible work.
Renault won with every engine they produced so they will win with the new hybrid V6 turbo too : P

Juzh

Blackout wrote: The RS26 was one of the most powerful V8 in 2006 too, by the way, if not the most powerful according to many insiders.
From all the onboards of 2006 i've seen the ferrari engine seemed the most powerful. Every time a car would pull out of its slipstream he'd be left behind. Very obvious in hungary 2006 when schumacher had a car problem and cars would get next to him on the straight, only to get outdragged easily by the ferrari. just saying.

321apex
321apex

Blackout wrote: Too early to say that.
The RS26 was one of the most powerful V8 in 2006 too, by the way, if not the most powerful according to many insiders. And then yes it lost some ground to the others in the power area but it became the most fuel efficient, according to many insiders too. And then Renault continued developing that engine with RBR and they created many interesting technical solutions which the other engines didnt have at that time... They did an incredible work.
Renault won with every engine they produced so they will win with the new hybrid V6 turbo too : P
There must be a good reason, that Frank Williams had decided to jump ship away from Renault after an unusually short tenure for a successful team that in the past had nurtured technical relationships. I would suspect, that the decision makers at Williams must have observed something that for all of us remains opaque.

If I was to guess what that is, I would say the resources devoted to the program.
Specifically perhaps a lot of them by MB and perhaps a lot less of them by RN. In the field of high technology, especially one embarking upon uncharted territory of newness, disparity of funding if known paints an obvious picture. Williams team with their recent drought in terms of success was running out of options to risk taking chances. Especially, since they are publicly traded.

FW17

321apex wrote:
Blackout wrote: Too early to say that.
There must be a good reason, that Frank Williams had decided to jump ship away from Renault after an unusually short tenure for a successful team that in the past had nurtured technical relationships. I would suspect, that the decision makers at Williams must have observed something that for all of us remains opaque.

If I was to guess what that is, I would say the resources devoted to the program.
Specifically perhaps a lot of them by MB and perhaps a lot less of them by RN. In the field of high technology, especially one embarking upon uncharted territory of newness, disparity of funding if known paints an obvious picture. Williams team with their recent drought in terms of success was running out of options to risk taking chances. Especially, since they are publicly traded.
Williams just capitalized on Toto Wolf leaving his post at the team without notice.

diemaster
diemaster

Reports have emerged that Cosworth, without a customer for the 2014 season, has completed its turbo V6 engine prototype – a design that will not be raced this year.

The wilder reports claim that Red Bull could take over the project and run its own engines for 2015.

http://grandprix247.com/2014/02/17/red- ... t-reports/
interesting
i think this is very good for rbr :)

Juzh

diemaster wrote:
Reports have emerged that Cosworth, without a customer for the 2014 season, has completed its turbo V6 engine prototype – a design that will not be raced this year.

The wilder reports claim that Red Bull could take over the project and run its own engines for 2015.

http://grandprix247.com/2014/02/17/red- ... t-reports/
interesting
i think this is very good for rbr :)
I wouldn't take anything posted on gp247 serious. It's a gossip site.

fritticaldi

Re: Infiniti RedBull Racing 2014

Interesting to see if Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkovan who are the owers of Cosworth will sell to Red Bull . Surely in desperation Red Bull would put big money forward. This could be the only option since all other engine manufacturer's are already secured or have restrictions to supply other teams example Honda. It would be great if another engine supplier would come onboard. :mrgreen:

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

If Red Bull look to run their own Cosworth-developed engine they would likely look to brand it with an automotive partner willing to pay at least part of the engine costs. Whether this would be current partner Infiniti or another company such as Ford, it may also give Red Bull an 'out' in terms of selling the team to a manufacturer but remaining as title sponsor at least for a transition period if they start to see a lower return on their F1 investment.

Del Boy
Del Boy

What would Nissan have to say about an engine tie up with anybody but Renault?
I know Infiniti are only a title sponsor and Red Bull have no more than a financial loyalty to them.
I can not see Nissan stand by and let the car with Infiniti sprawled down the side have a) Honda written on the car. B) anything other than Renault powering it.
Unless Nissan will pay for the Cosworth and develop it??

I understand the Ford, Renault, Nissan, Daimler alliance is only for Hydrogen power??

Glyn
Glyn

Del Boy wrote:What would Nissan have to say about an engine tie up with anybody but Renault?
I know Infiniti are only a title sponsor and Red Bull have no more than a financial loyalty to them.
I can not see Nissan stand by and let the car with Infiniti sprawled down the side have a) Honda written on the car. B) anything other than Renault powering it.
Unless Nissan will pay for the Cosworth and develop it??

I understand the Ford, Renault, Nissan, Daimler alliance is only for Hydrogen power??
Infiniti won't be a title sponsor if the Red Bull comes last every race and get's no exposure.

adrianjordan

onewingedangel wrote:If Red Bull look to run their own Cosworth-developed engine they would likely look to brand it with an automotive partner willing to pay at least part of the engine costs. Whether this would be current partner Infiniti or another company such as Ford, it may also give Red Bull an 'out' in terms of selling the team to a manufacturer but remaining as title sponsor at least for a transition period if they start to see a lower return on their F1 investment.
How about VW...??

Or a Ford EcoBoost engine :-p
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️