Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

While on Sky Pad with Martin Brundle, Lewis said about the clutch change that hampered his starts. He was telling that, he has now gone back to the old clutch that was used for first four GPs, with which he was getting better starts and Nico is going to stay with the new ones.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
512
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

The old clutch looks worse to me. Two poor starts in a row now.

Oh another off topic... Hamilton and Rihanna?!... ugh.. no Lewis! don't even think about it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... arade.html
Level:
Octo-God
/—\
| 8 |
\—/

User avatar
ME4ME
179
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff ... r-mercedes
Wolff said: “Yes. Winning the second championship is an important championship for us and we will continue to relentlessly develop the current car.
That's Bernies double championship bonus payments he's refering to i guess?

User avatar
Shrieker
55
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

If Rosberg wins all of the remaining races and Hamilton finishes in 2nd place, that'll be enough to secure the title for ham. I think Hamilton has a decent shot at winning all of them rather than Rosberg. If he does so, he'll break the record for most wins in a season. Of the tracks that are left, he has won in all of them before, bar Interlagos. And Mexico is new.

I know some people are definitely not looking forward to that. Thankfully I'm not one of them.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ChrisF1
ChrisF1
25
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

I thought that the following was an interesting Quali statistic:

2013 - 11/8 to Hamilton (-0.158s)
2014 - 11/7 to Rosberg (-0.187s)
2015 - 11/1 to Hamilton (-0.308s)

Not only has Hamilton changed it around by 0.5 seconds from 2014 to 2015, he's also taken as many poles in 12 races as he managed in the whole of 2013, and as Nico managed in the whole of 2014.

User avatar
Shrieker
55
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

I think by now we know Nico is more involved with the technical intricacies and details. My opinion is that he benefited from the FRIC a lot more than Hamilton did. Ham is more of a seat of the pants driver and maybe FRIC was interfering with what he felt the car was doing. After it was removed last year Hamilton did better, and this season also. That's not a coincidence.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

User avatar
Jordan44
12
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Shrieker wrote:I think by now we know Nico is more involved with the technical intricacies and details. My opinion is that he benefited from the FRIC a lot more than Hamilton did. Ham is more of a seat of the pants driver and maybe FRIC was interfering with what he felt the car was doing. After it was removed last year Hamilton did better, and this season also. That's not a coincidence.
Hamilton didn't really do better after FRIC left. Nothing changed at all, in my opinion. Just before FRIC was banned, Hamilton had poor qualifying form, but performed far better than Nico in the races. He did have a lot of bad luck in this period. After FRIC was banned, Hamilton still had poor qualifying form, but excelled in the races, with Nico taking just one win. McLaren had FRIC while he was there, didn't appear to cause him any problems.

There could be many reasons for his qualifying woes last season, I don't think it was FRIC. Perhaps he lost direction with how to setup the car over one lap, because of all the messing around with brake materials they had.

User avatar
ME4ME
179
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Maybe it's also a bit like Vettel vs Webber. Losing the 2010 title hit Webber quite hard, while Vettel gained confidence. The same seems to occur with Hamilton. He say's he feels more relaxed, less worried, after he took his 2nd title. Rosberg on the other hand seems a bit lost.

Diesel
Diesel
74
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

I think the ban on driver coaching hit Rosberg quite hard. If you remember, the ban was brought in this time last year after Rosberg was being told what lines to take at Monza to improve his time relative to Hamilton. He also asked about "the other car" very often, which obviously now he isn't allowed to do.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
512
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

J0rd4n wrote:
Shrieker wrote:I think by now we know Nico is more involved with the technical intricacies and details. My opinion is that he benefited from the FRIC a lot more than Hamilton did. Ham is more of a seat of the pants driver and maybe FRIC was interfering with what he felt the car was doing. After it was removed last year Hamilton did better, and this season also. That's not a coincidence.
Hamilton didn't really do better after FRIC left. Nothing changed at all, in my opinion. Just before FRIC was banned, Hamilton had poor qualifying form, but performed far better than Nico in the races. He did have a lot of bad luck in this period. After FRIC was banned, Hamilton still had poor qualifying form, but excelled in the races, with Nico taking just one win. McLaren had FRIC while he was there, didn't appear to cause him any problems.

There could be many reasons for his qualifying woes last season, I don't think it was FRIC. Perhaps he lost direction with how to setup the car over one lap, because of all the messing around with brake materials they had.
It was the brakes in 2013 and 2014 that Hamilton was not comfortable with. Wasn't really comfortable after testing. And glazed disks in a number of qualifyings.
Level:
Octo-God
/—\
| 8 |
\—/

User avatar
MercedesAMGSpy
3
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

A lot of times Rosberg admitted he focuses on race pace rather than qualifying, that's it always a compromise and that's the reason his qualifying form is weaker. Problem is, it's harder to overtake cars than last year with the new nose regulations. After losing the quali battle so many times this season, you would expect him to change his strategy and switch focus to qualifying, but not a sign of that yet.

User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:A lot of times Rosberg admitted he focuses on race pace rather than qualifying, that's it always a compromise and that's the reason his qualifying form is weaker. Problem is, it's harder to overtake cars than last year with the new nose regulations. After losing the quali battle so many times this season, you would expect him to change his strategy and switch focus to qualifying, but not a sign of that yet.
That's loads of BS from Rosberg and from a lot of people throughout last year, who said Lewis had a race oriented setup. Lewis simply struggled in qualifying last year for various reasons, including his own mistakes. If you can understand it is difficult to overtake this year, what stops Rosberg to understand the same? Would it take this long to understand that, whereas the whole world started knowing this after few races? I questioned back then too, if Lewis preferred Race set up last year, how the hell did he got those poles in Monza, Sochi and Singapore and still won them. Nico is just giving excuses for his poor overall form. If he indeed has been having Race setup, why does he not go for the kill in races instead of falling back? As much as 20 seconds in Monaco, which clearly proves his BS.

User avatar
WaikeCU
71
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

GPR-A wrote: That's loads of BS from Rosberg and from a lot of people throughout last year, who said Lewis had a race oriented setup. Lewis simply struggled in qualifying last year for various reasons, including his own mistakes. If you can understand it is difficult to overtake this year, what stops Rosberg to understand the same? Would it take this long to understand that, whereas the whole world started knowing this after few races? I questioned back then too, if Lewis preferred Race set up last year, how the hell did he got those poles in Monza, Sochi and Singapore and still won them. Nico is just giving excuses for his poor overall form. If he indeed has been having Race setup, why does he not go for the kill in races instead of falling back? As much as 20 seconds in Monaco, which clearly proves his BS.
It's just clear that when everything is going right, Lewis is straight up unbeatable. Last year there were problems regarding reliability, brainfart moments, bad luck and bad judgement calls. This season he's simply in a league of his own, bar strategic team cockups like in Monaco. I don't think difficult to overtake is an excuse. Max Verstappen has proved it's doable and he's in an under-powered car as well.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403
14
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

WaikeCU wrote:I don't think difficult to overtake is an excuse. Max Verstappen has proved it's doable and he's in an under-powered car as well.
However Verstappen will feel he needs to prove his worth to all teams on the grid. The can afford to go for ballsy moves that don't always pay off as it's his rookie season and I believe that both Verstappen and Sainz we're both signed on 2 year contracts(?) so he litterally has nothing to lose.

Lewis on the other hand needs to play the percentage game and take calculated risks. Pulling a move on Vettel in Monaco for example isn't the greatest of ideas (hence why it didn't happen). Hamilton wouldn't want to be remembered as the one who lost a WDC based on silly moves with quite possibly the most dominant car in F1 history.

User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Post

Mercedes warns Hamilton title not a given
Daimler and Mercedes boss Dr Dieter Zetsche has cautioned that it is too early to consider Lewis Hamilton as a shoe-in for the world championship, despite the Briton's healthy lead.
"We are also proud of the brain fart in Monaco, otherwise you see, title fight would have been over and we have more such grand plans and hence this statement from our Chairman." :D

Image