Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ScottB

Re: Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

FoxHound wrote:
ScottB wrote:[
His 'headline grabbing' prediction, if you will, had Red Bull developing their own ERS, would have Ilmor developing parts for the ICE and would see their, and Renault's engines split off down their own development paths.

This, it turns out, was wrong.
Do Red Bull not produce their own ERS?
ScottB wrote:I don't think you can dismiss that as getting a few details wrong, RBR effectively developing their own power unit using a bit of the Renault ICE as a basis is a hugely different outcome from Renault developing the engine with assistance from Ilmor for both teams.

As said, had he simply claimed they were going to run the same engine as the new Renault team, his story would have been in line with a number of others. It was the claims he made relating to 'Building 9' that made the story the discussion topic that it became, and it was wrong. That's far from being a few little details out for me!
As I said previously, in 2016 he maybe wrong....but 2017?
I thought they originally wanted to, but had to use the Renault ones?

Maybe they are, but that wasn't the prediction...

turbof1

Re: Infiniti Red Bull Racing 2015

FoxHound wrote:
ScottB wrote:[
His 'headline grabbing' prediction, if you will, had Red Bull developing their own ERS, would have Ilmor developing parts for the ICE and would see their, and Renault's engines split off down their own development paths.

This, it turns out, was wrong.
Do Red Bull not produce their own ERS?
ScottB wrote:I don't think you can dismiss that as getting a few details wrong, RBR effectively developing their own power unit using a bit of the Renault ICE as a basis is a hugely different outcome from Renault developing the engine with assistance from Ilmor for both teams.

As said, had he simply claimed they were going to run the same engine as the new Renault team, his story would have been in line with a number of others. It was the claims he made relating to 'Building 9' that made the story the discussion topic that it became, and it was wrong. That's far from being a few little details out for me!
As I said previously, in 2016 he maybe wrong....but 2017?
From what I understand, this is done by Renault and Magneti Mirelli. Red Bull took an attempt on it during winter testing 2014, but it failed. When the end of February came, the parts had to be homologated and that sealed off any means that Red Bull could have their own ERS. Even if they produced those parts themselves, it would have to be the same parts Renault developed. The only difference you could get then was the quality of the parts.

But again, the way I understand it: Magneti Mirelli develops and produces some parts, Renault develops and produces everything else and assembles them.
#AeroFrodo