2016 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
TwanV
TwanV

Re: 2016 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Ferrari

I agree Juzh. Also the pace of the RB cars is quite impressive, imo showing that power deficit disadvantage is only relative this year given a team has a good overall package. The 2015-spec ferrari seems quite on par with the customer-spec Mercedes as far as I can tell.. Let's hope it stays like this after Montreal.

mahinderlasmibal
mahinderlasmibal

Toro Rosso hire former Manor/Marussia boss, John Booth
Scuderia Toro Rosso is pleased to announce that, with immediate effect, John Booth will begin working with the team on a consultancy basis in the role of Director of Racing. The Englishman, who has wide ranging experience in all forms of motorsport, including Formula 1, will take up his responsibilities as from this weekend’s Russian Grand Prix.
John Booth:

“It is a great honour to join such a well-established and competitive team as Scuderia Toro Rosso” said John Booth. “It is a team that has achieved so much in a relatively short space of time. I am looking forward to getting started and working with Franz and the team this weekend in Sochi.”
Franz Tost:

“I have known John for many years and I am delighted to welcome him to the team. Formula 1 is becoming ever more complex, with recent changes on the tyre front, car set-up, radio communications and so forth. Therefore, having a competitive car and talented drivers, both of which we have, on its own is not enough. With his vast experience I am sure John will help the team raise its game and become a more effective force over a race weekend.”

superdowg316

First pictures of Daniil Kvyat back in a Toro Rosso

He looks so thrilled to be there, absolutely ecstatic.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

I might be putting 2 and 2 together here and ending up with 5 but for anyone who watches Sky Sports F1 coverage I remember them doing an interview with Max (maybe on a grid walk) and him saying going further into the season his qualifying should see him be way further infront of Carlos. At the time I just wrote it off as young arrogance (he has to have that view though right!) but looking back, and with Russia being the country that it is.....no offence intended, just an outsiders uneducated view, what if swapping Kyvat & Max was the plan from the start?
It may be nothing but it's just the way he made out that he'd qualify way further up the grid, not just 1 or 2 positions that you normally get from the same cars.

So hows my maths? Was my answer 4 or 5?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i think you are probably very right, either way really nothing indicates that it wasn't gonna happen (the seat swap). Matter of fact, all signs point to the probability that it was gonna happen either way and all parties - likely sainz excluded - were aware of the situation. I think Russia was always going to be Kvyat's last RedBull race, perhaps unless he actually shined, which did
not happen. If i recall right i read recently about Marko having said to both Ric and Kvyat that if they don't perform, one is going out period.
Which really brings up the point that it might have been so that if Danny Ric actually performed less than Kvyat this year, then it could be very well possible that Danny would have been
switched. Instead though, Ricciardo is stable and strong this year, whilst Danil Kvyat is making a mess of it, whilst both are facing the same 'pressure'. Which again means Kvyat is the weakest link and thus goodbye.

I think he should be thankful he's given the Toro Rosso seat, all previous RB drivers that did not 'perform' as desired were simply dumped and never got into an F1 seat ever again.
So either they are contractually oblidged to act as such, or perhaps they are actually really honest about their opinion Kvyat is worth more to them than to just ditch him.

Hell Danny Ric might already have a contract for next year in another team and RB is simply going to return him into the mothership team next year. Who knows.

All we know is a switch happened and that Kvyat does need to destroy Sainz if he's hoping to have a drive next year. And that's not Maldonado-style destruction like he's been going for recently.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SR71

Manoah2u wrote:i think you are probably very right, either way really nothing indicates that it wasn't gonna happen (the seat swap). Matter of fact, all signs point to the probability that it was gonna happen either way and all parties - likely sainz excluded - were aware of the situation. I think Russia was always going to be Kvyat's last RedBull race, perhaps unless he actually shined, which did
not happen. If i recall right i read recently about Marko having said to both Ric and Kvyat that if they don't perform, one is going out period.
Which really brings up the point that it might have been so that if Danny Ric actually performed less than Kvyat this year, then it could be very well possible that Danny would have been
switched. Instead though, Ricciardo is stable and strong this year, whilst Danil Kvyat is making a mess of it, whilst both are facing the same 'pressure'. Which again means Kvyat is the weakest link and thus goodbye.

I think he should be thankful he's given the Toro Rosso seat, all previous RB drivers that did not 'perform' as desired were simply dumped and never got into an F1 seat ever again.
So either they are contractually oblidged to act as such, or perhaps they are actually really honest about their opinion Kvyat is worth more to them than to just ditch him.

Hell Danny Ric might already have a contract for next year in another team and RB is simply going to return him into the mothership team next year. Who knows.

All we know is a switch happened and that Kvyat does need to destroy Sainz if he's hoping to have a drive next year. And that's not Maldonado-style destruction like he's been going for recently.
The switch had more to do with re-stabilizing Toro Rosso than it did DK's performance. TR's garage had completely broken down into sides, engineers have been fired and john booth brought in to bring the peace for evidence. The two drivers camps were at an impasse.

The only realistic solution given the talent levels of everyone involved was to swap whoever performed worse at RB for whoever performed best at TR. In this case, DK created his own situation but the swap has nothing to do with "only" his performances.

Everything has been about re-stabilizing TR and bringing back some order between both teams.

WaikeCU

Just noticed Daniil's twitter account changed from ' Formula 1 driver for Red Bull Racing' to 'Formula 1 driver'.

PlatinumZealot

Sad... but for Dr. Marko, solid is not good enough. Daniil will be alright. We might see him replace Jolyon if Esteban Ocon doesn't get the seat first.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

F1NAC

I think that he is lucky to be Russian because of potentional sponsors backing him. If they dump him after 2016 i think Renault or Sauber could try a shot.

ringo

Funny enough i think the plan all along was to dump him, but it would have been an unpopular move had they done it before the Russian GP.
Nontheless i think this benefits Danil a lot. He pretty much is fending for himself at the moment and it's the first time i have heard him sound so resolute. He almost seems likable after today's press conference.
I am actually keeping an eye on him to see if he can back up his words. I have a bet that he gets back on the podium before Daniel or Max.
For Sure!!

Chuckjr

You're going to lose that bet Ringo.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Vasconia

Chuckjr wrote:You're going to lose that bet Ringo.
Sadly the lack of updates in the PU will prevent TR of reaching the podium this season.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I'm doubtfull Kvyat is going to finish his Toro Rosso season.
Not only is he getting quite the cr*p from his team, but he's quite messing up for himself, too.
He almost got DSQ for qually due to that floor deflection issue. It supposedly got damaged, but to be fair, the only one who damaged the floor was kvyat himself.
His race started horribly with that pitlimiter issue, then changing the wheel did not work,
Then hammering in onto Magnussen was a totally stupid rookie mistake and i don't know what he was doing trying to reverse and get back but did not look much
like he knew what he was doing. It was similar to the retard move ericsson did on his teammate.
He already was making a mess of it a few corners before , but that final move was completely stupid. Frankly, it kindof reminded me on how he went into Vettel
twice. he just doens't learn, does he?

I'm curious whether he'll race at Baku. If he manages to fck up at canada, which is entirely possible, then i feel it'll be his last F1 race of his career and he'll get
replaced for Baku by Ghasly. To be honest, it'll be all due to himself. He did not perform @ RedBull like he should, the team giving him space @ Toro Rosso
is something his predecessors never got lucky with nor do other drivers in the history of F1 got lucky with , so him making a complete mess of it also at TR
is destroying his career.

He should take it easy for 2 races, and ask for some advice from Grosjean and then come back with a vengeance when he sorted his demons. He's got potential,
but he's wasting it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Carlos had a great weekend, showing speed and consistency. The podium was a real chance taking into account that before the pit-stop he was ahead of Perez and Vettel. But the team did a terrible job(again like in 2015) and all the chances were destroyed. He was really upset.

Kvyat, he needs to calm down. He has speed but he needs to face the reality and try to do his best if he wants to continue in 2017.

Andres125sx

What was the problem? I watched the race on Sky and didn´t see anything there