2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 11:41
My respect for Schumacher is only starting to grow more and more and more with what he achieved with Ferrari. I mean that's the exact same Ferrari but he managed to turn it around into a completely dominating team after taking it from the exact same mess in the mid-90's like the team has slipped back in right after he left.
That's because it was an Italian team but with a non Italian creme filling. Everyone was okay with that, It's not the case now apparently.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 14:08
Manoah2u wrote:
My respect for Schumacher is only starting to grow more and more and more with what he achieved with Ferrari. I mean that's the exact same Ferrari but he managed to turn it around into a completely dominating team after taking it from the exact same mess in the mid-90's like the team has slipped back in right after he left.
That's because it was an Italian team but with a non Italian creme filling. Everyone was okay with that, It's not the case now apparently.
People thought it was easy to win with Ferrari, it wasnt. They only needed to be enough desperate to bring a German driver and give him all he wanted, and leaving behind that Enzo Ferrarí´s excessive pride. Even Ferrari itself has forgotten how much work and sacrifice required to build a dominating car.

Anyway, leaving apart Marchione´s excessive passionate reactions the team has been working quite well this year and a half. They could not win this year, but Ferrari´s position next season should be fine to fight(and whin) the championship.

Big Mangalhit

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 13:43
Just a thought. People are suggesting that Vettel won't have any more reliability problems as a result of his new PU at Sepang. But with 5 races remaining, that PU will have to do 6 races in total...has any Ferrari PU managed that this season without a failure??

First of all, they got two new PU's on Vettel car I think, one on sat and another on sunday (4th and 5th, so it's still legal to keep both). That means they did the rest of the season (14 races) with only 3 ICE's. Taking into account they can use the old ones for the FP on friday then the answer is yes they could easily do the rest of the races with only one PU but I think he has two new ones (with only 1 new turbo).

Also:
[media]https://twitter.com/andihaupt1/status/8 ... 1508097024[/media]

That is way more than the needed for 6 races if you use the engine only on saturadays and sundays.

f1316
f1316

Vasconia wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 15:53
TAG wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 14:08
Manoah2u wrote:
People thought it was easy to win with Ferrari, it wasnt. They only needed to be enough desperate to bring a German driver and give him all he wanted, and leaving behind that Enzo Ferrarí´s excessive pride. Even Ferrari itself has forgotten how much work and sacrifice required to build a dominating car.

Anyway, leaving apart Marchione´s excessive passionate reactions the team has been working quite well this year and a half. They could not win this year, but Ferrari´s position next season should be fine to fight(and whin) the championship.
I'd love for people to go back to last year's Ferrari team thread, read through the reactions to everything Marchionne said and did, the fact that they were lost without Allison, needed to have a British base, would be in the doldrums for years... etc etc.

Let's give Marchionne and Ferrari (and, frankly, Italy) their due: the team has been at its most competitive in years, have developed an innovative car and arguably outdeveloped Mercedes - all with a primarily Italian team devoid of 'star' name engineers.

Marchionne's method of identifying issues (and untapped talent) within the team has resulted in a much more aggressive, more positive looking team and the results speak for themselves. The horizontal structure he put in place always seemed logical to me - as did promotion from within and embracing people who were sync with Ferrari's culture, rather than looking to change it - and so perhaps he knows what he's talking about when he speaks of a young engine team (particularly given the engine chief left not long ago).

Not all reactions are bad - sometimes that's called being decisive.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 18:54

I'd love for people to go back to last year's Ferrari team thread, read through the reactions to everything Marchionne said and did, the fact that they were lost without Allison, needed to have a British base, would be in the doldrums for years... etc etc.

Let's give Marchionne and Ferrari (and, frankly, Italy) their due: the team has been at its most competitive in years, have developed an innovative car and arguably outdeveloped Mercedes - all with a primarily Italian team devoid of 'star' name engineers.

Marchionne's method of identifying issues (and untapped talent) within the team has resulted in a much more aggressive, more positive looking team and the results speak for themselves. The horizontal structure he put in place always seemed logical to me - as did promotion from within and embracing people who were sync with Ferrari's culture, rather than looking to change it - and so perhaps he knows what he's talking about when he speaks of a young engine team (particularly given the engine chief left not long ago).

You can go if you have time ;)

I tend to agree that Marchione´s work inside the team has been very good, results show it. But those public reprimands add an unecessary pressure on certain areas of the team. Those things are better to be said inside the team, not in front of the journalists.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:

Wow, Schumacher did all of that eh?

Most of the success should be laid at the doors of Todt and Brawn. They managed the team and ensured that the drivers had the car they needed. Bridgestone giving them bespoke tyres for each race was a major help too.

Schumacher just drove the car. He drove it extremely well, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

On the gearbox. It's one hell of a risk.

What I mean is that no matter what tests they have run that gearbox will have to run to the end of the season IIRC with a huge question mark over it. Could it be another ticking time bomb? Will it in 1/2/3 races time go bang?
Will it finally put paid to Vettels Championship by him getting no points in an upcoming race instead of possibly starting 6th in Japan?

marvin78
marvin78

You never know. There is no potential for discussion. It could be and it could not. It's only guessing.

RZS10

I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this ... but i wonder how the FIA enforces that Ferrari (or anyone else) does not change parts on the gearbox they aren't allowed to change ...

The gearbox gets sealed by the FIA after being brought to a venue, and the FIA inspects those seals to make sure that the gearbox wasn't messed with between races ... now we can be pretty sure that there wasn't anyone from the FIA present in Maranello whilst Ferrari was checking it for damage and replacing parts they are allowed to fix without penalty - how can the FIA make sure they did not change any other parts?

Do the parts have serial numbers the FIA can check after the gearbox has done it's job?

f1316
f1316

Vasconia wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 10:18
f1316 wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 18:54

You can go if you have time ;)

I tend to agree that Marchione´s work inside the team has been very good, results show it. But those public reprimands add an unecessary pressure on certain areas of the team. Those things are better to be said inside the team, not in front of the journalists.
I wish I could be bothered! Being an "I told you so" kinda guy, I'd love to quote some of my own comments in support of Marchionne's structural changes :D

Take your point and agree that public finger pointing is not good; however, reading past the headline, I think Marchionne wasn't blaming people but stating problems with component quality and the fact that the engine team is young - I don't think he was blaming those young people but rather acknowledging that this highlighted structural changes needed to support them.

He also said "Having this kind of problem during the race make us angry" which seemed to be inclusive than the headline would indicate.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

RZS10 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 14:35
I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this ... but i wonder how the FIA enforces that Ferrari (or anyone else) does not change parts on the gearbox they aren't allowed to change ...

The gearbox gets sealed by the FIA after being brought to a venue, and the FIA inspects those seals to make sure that the gearbox wasn't messed with between races ... now we can be pretty sure that there wasn't anyone from the FIA present in Maranello whilst Ferrari was checking it for damage and replacing parts they are allowed to fix without penalty - how can the FIA make sure they did not change any other parts?

Do the parts have serial numbers the FIA can check after the gearbox has done it's job?
That's the point of those seals.

It's like how they used to protect info in private letters. If the seal was broken then someone had to have opened it.
Same thing here, to get inside you would have to break or remove a seal.

RZS10

Yes i know that, but teams are allowed to open the gearbox for inspection (and apparently fix certain parts) - Ferrari was fiddling around with that one for days to make sure that nothing was broken ... how does the FIA know that they didn't just replace some damaged parts?

outsid3r

RZS10 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 15:42
Yes i know that, but teams are allowed to open the gearbox for inspection (and apparently fix certain parts) - Ferrari was fiddling around with that one for days to make sure that nothing was broken ... how does the FIA know that they didn't just replace some damaged parts?
This is just a total guess from my end but I would imagine that the only way they are allowed to inspect the internals is to ask for an FIA representative to visit the factory, remove the seal, supervise the whole procedure and then re-seal it...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 10:47
Manoah2u wrote:

Wow, Schumacher did all of that eh?

Most of the success should be laid at the doors of Todt and Brawn. They managed the team and ensured that the drivers had the car they needed. Bridgestone giving them bespoke tyres for each race was a major help too.

Schumacher just drove the car. He drove it extremely well, of course.
you're manipulating words.

fact is, with Schumacher, that did happen. That didn't happen with Alonso nor is it yet happening with Vettel even though we should give it some more time.

Ang guess what, yeah, Schumacher did do that in the way that he took / was accompanied by his former Benetton crew to head for Ferrari, after Jean Todt whom took seat @ Ferrari in 1994 invited Schumi over for the 1996 season. They were wise to include Brawn on the transfer, as he was at Benetton during Schumacher's WDC reign there, he then happily moved with Schumi to Ferrari to do some magic there.

Last but not least there was Rory Byrne, and he was also responsible for the B194 and subsequently the B195, and then was hired by Ferrari and was a key part in the Ferrari domination since then.

Offcourse it wasn't Schumacher alone. Just like it's not Hamilton alone, it's not Vettel alone @ RedBull before. But the fact is, Schumacher DID have that around him, and it wasn't 'blind luck'. It was calculated and executed marvellously.

Hence i repeat, my respect for Schumacher.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

F1NAC

Restomaniac wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 15:39
RZS10 wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 14:35

That's the point of those seals.

It's like how they used to protect info in private letters. If the seal was broken then someone had to have opened it.
Same thing here, to get inside you would have to break or remove a seal.
Is there any picture of those seals? how do they look like?