2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dr_cooke
dr_cooke
16
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Could the fuel supplier be REPSOL? They Will not be sponsoring, that's for sure, but they have long experience brewing for HONDA in motoGP and relations are very good

User avatar
diffuser
173
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Daliracing wrote:Vandoorne has choosen number 2 as his racenumber

good choice....he will be. ;)

User avatar
Vasconia
40
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Joseki wrote:Everything Vandoorne did until now was stellar, how could you be so sure he's the next Kovalainen? I'm pretty sure he be closer to Alonso than Button.
I agree, though I hope not to see another 2007 in McLaren.

About the team´s peformance in 2017, I have more doubts with McLaren than with Honda. McLaren hasn´t designed a winner chasis since 2012 and at least no once can deny that Honda has made a great improvement in 2016. I still think that they will be behind Mercedes but I am curious to see where they will be in comparison to Renault and Ferrari.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
395
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

"Stellar" vanDoorne for years part of Mclaren, for years speculation of him getting a race seat, never happened untill now. Mclaren said themselves that they 'had' to give him a seat for 2017 or they'd 'lose him'. - The same Mclaren that spooned in talented Perez and had to replace him with 'exciting' Magnussen none other than due to contract c*ckups.
So with all that 'talent' they never saw the need to mature him in having driving experience in a raceseat despite not having a car that would battle for the WDC for years anyway. Also how many teams were trying to snatch this 'Stellar' driver from Mclaren? I could be mistaken , but I recall none.

Also, not just physically, but Vandoorne reminds me a lot of Davide Valsecchi, who was rated rather good too - never got a drive though. And i dont need to mention other 'talents' like Palmer and Leimer, to be honest.

I'm hoping to be proven otherwise, as again, i want to see spectacular drivers.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

User avatar
Andres125sx
336
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Manoah2u wrote: Mclaren said themselves that they 'had' to give him a seat for 2017 or they'd 'lose him'.

[...]

Also how many teams were trying to snatch this 'Stellar' driver from Mclaren? I could be mistaken , but I recall none.
Don´t you find this a bit contradictory?

If McLaren had to give him a seat or they´d lose him, it´s obvious he has some offer, isn´t it?

User avatar
Big Mangalhit
63
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Yup Vandoorne was amazing all his career. The GP2 season in 2015 was impressive, he still has the record for most points ahead of second. Not to mention he was the only McLaren driver to score a point in the first 3 races this year and has the same points per GP average as button racing only one race when the car was not at peak relative performance. He also out qualified Button in that race. I may be wrong but I see a champion there

graham.reeds
graham.reeds
21
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 am

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Button has never been a good qualifier. He was only on pole once with McLaren. To cap it off he finds it hard to go fast if the car isn't just right whereas Alonso can make any car look more impressive than it is.

User avatar
diffuser
173
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Big Mangalhit wrote:Yup Vandoorne was amazing all his career. The GP2 season in 2015 was impressive, he still has the record for most points ahead of second. Not to mention he was the only McLaren driver to score a point in the first 3 races this year and has the same points per GP average as button racing only one race when the car was not at peak relative performance. He also out qualified Button in that race. I may be wrong but I see a champion there

He's gonna be what he's gonna be...Lets wait and see. Nobody won a F1 championship using GP2 victories.

User avatar
proteus
52
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

graham.reeds wrote:Button has never been a good qualifier. He was only on pole once with McLaren. To cap it off he finds it hard to go fast if the car isn't just right whereas Alonso can make any car look more impressive than it is.
Force of the Alonso fanboyism is strong in this comment. Alonso was nowhere when the car wasnt suiting him. And he did 3 rookie mistakes in this season, costing him twice of points. Button bashing is not fair at all. Button had its higher share of bad luck in this year + whole team somewhat leaned towards Alonso in the car development. Not saying that Alonso is one of best, but seriously a bit tired of praises regarding him. Truly i would be glad if he would take another seat elsewhere and having Button staying.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

User avatar
diffuser
173
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

proteus wrote:
graham.reeds wrote: - Button has never been a good qualifier. He was only on pole once with McLaren.
- To cap it off he finds it hard to go fast if the car isn't just right whereas Alonso can make any car look more impressive than it is.
Force of the Alonso fanboyism is strong in this comment. Alonso was nowhere when the car wasnt suiting him. And he did 3 rookie mistakes in this season, costing him twice of points. Button bashing is not fair at all. Button had its higher share of bad luck in this year + whole team somewhat leaned towards Alonso in the car development. Not saying that Alonso is one of best, but seriously a bit tired of praises regarding him. Truly i would be glad if he would take another seat elsewhere and having Button staying.
Don't think you read what he said ...His comment about poles had little to do with Alonzo ...

In the 3 years from 2010 to 2012 (inclusive) he had 1 pole while Hamilton had 9.

Joseki
Joseki
56
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

According to F1AT Zak Brown started some talks to take Allison on board but he's no longer available having signed a pre contract with Mercedes, so now he's started some talks with Paddy Lowe that should be on the way out from Mercedes searching for another team to bring to the top.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

User avatar
ME4ME
166
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Joseki wrote:According to F1AT Zak Brown started some talks to take Allison on board but he's no longer available having signed a pre contract with Mercedes, so now he's started some talks with Paddy Lowe that should be on the way out from Mercedes searching for another team to bring to the top.
That would make sense. Mclaren need stronger technical leadership. They have some strong senior engineers, but someone has to be in charge. I think Ferrari is too unstable for Lowe, and is obviously in Italy. Mclaren might be a safer challenge to take on.

Joseki
Joseki
56
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

Yes, according to them Ferrari is not an option (Marchionne also doesn't want to spend too much), Williams tried an approach but it's not an interesting option for Lowe. So at the moment if he has to go he's probably going to McLaren (with all Mercedes' secrets).

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

graham.reeds
graham.reeds
21
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 am

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

proteus wrote:
graham.reeds wrote:Button has never been a good qualifier. He was only on pole once with McLaren. To cap it off he finds it hard to go fast if the car isn't just right whereas Alonso can make any car look more impressive than it is.
Force of the Alonso fanboyism is strong in this comment. Alonso was nowhere when the car wasnt suiting him. And he did 3 rookie mistakes in this season, costing him twice of points. Button bashing is not fair at all. Button had its higher share of bad luck in this year + whole team somewhat leaned towards Alonso in the car development. Not saying that Alonso is one of best, but seriously a bit tired of praises regarding him. Truly i would be glad if he would take another seat elsewhere and having Button staying.
I like Alonso driving but I wouldn't say I was a fanboi. You can't deny he made the Ferrari look better than it was at the end of the V8 era.

max_speed
max_speed
13
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 am

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Post

my gut feeling is that alonso will try to leave Mclaren and will go for Mercedes.
i am Mclaren but still feel that they are years away from winning races. wht i feel that is because when i compare redbull and mclaren , i see the chasis development gap can be counted for few years at least.
i am convinced Honda will be far better but i have serious doubt about mclaren chasis next year.