2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gdanielwesley
gdanielwesley

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Nicktendo86 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 15:49
So Mclaren did indeed say they had the best chassis on the grid, theres no 2 ways about it, its what they said.

If Alonso said it about qualifying and not about the race, that'll be down to the fact it was probably said on a saturday afternoon.
I said I know Alonso has made some brave claims, I asked for quotes from McLaren as you keep repeating that McLaren keep boasting that they have the best chassis. I don't think, with all due respect, you can substantiate that.
McLaren executive director Zak Brown said the step forward the team has made in recent races is hugely encouraging for next year, and is raising excitement levels about what can be achieved in 2018.

"Almost everything that we have developed over the year in the factory corresponds to the car, so we have a high strike rate of success," Brown told Autosport.

"Sometimes it can work in the factory and not on the car, but the chassis has been getting better and better and better.

"Our GPS says we are right near Red Bull: maybe a little better at some tracks and a little worse at other circuits. 

"But they have won a couple of races, so we are cautiously optimistic [for 2018]. We almost have a few giggles getting ready for next year. We are excited."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13284 ... t-for-2018

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

NathanOlder

Nicktendo86 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 16:32
NathanOlder wrote:
So Mclaren did indeed say they had the best chassis on the grid, theres no 2 ways about it, its what they said.

If Alonso said it about qualifying and not about the race, that'll be down to the fact it was probably said on a saturday afternoon.
I said I know Alonso has made some brave claims, I asked for quotes from McLaren as you keep repeating that McLaren keep boasting that they have the best chassis. I don't think, with all due respect, you can substantiate that.
Alonso is Mclaren is he not. Hes as big as anyone else there. Mclaren is made up of hundreds of people. If any one of those make statements, they are speaking for and on behalf of Mclaren. So yes, i provided what you asked for.

Now your going to tell me that doesnt count because he's just a driver ? Or Alonso isn't himself lately so it doesnt count. Or Eric/Zak didn't say it so its not official.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

Not sure if I am going nuts there but in none of those quotes do I read "we have the best chassis!", just hey, our car had great correlation with the work in the factory, we think we are close to Red Bull, MAYBE on SOME tracks a little better, on others worse. That doesn't mean "we have the best chassis".

NathanOlder

When making the claim about having the best car, Thats talking about the chassis.
and yes, one quote saying some tracks we are better is still saying we have the best chassis as certain tracks.

Different Chassis are suited to different tracks, thats why we end up with different cars winning at certain tracks, same goes for the PU's.

Mclaren HAVE claimed to have the best chassis. even if they did so at 1 track for 1 session, they still made that claim. Now you seem hell bent on making me prove that everyone at mclaren said they have the best chassis at every track on every day.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 29 Nov 2017, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 16:55
Nicktendo86 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 16:32
NathanOlder wrote:

Alonso is Mclaren is he not. Hes as big as anyone else there. Mclaren is made up of hundreds of people. If any one of those make statements, they are speaking for and on behalf of Mclaren. So yes, i provided what you asked for.

Now your going to tell me that doesnt count because he's just a driver ? Or Alonso isn't himself lately so it doesnt count. Or Eric/Zak didn't say it so its not official.
I specifically asked for quotes from the McLaren team and acknowledged quotes from Alonso separately, I was asking for a quote from the team saying they have the best chassis and I have still not seen any. Besides, as another user pointed out the Alonso quotes were specific to a certain GP weekend, not generally that McLaren have the best chassis. Here is a more complete quote from Alonso rather than the small snippets you provided:
"So far Mexico has been our best race," he added.

"We didn't have any big things coming for Mexico, because it was only four days after Austin, so it could be just track specific. We need to see here in Brazil.

"But from Hungary onwards every step we introduced on the car was quite positive - even if in Spa, Monza, because of the layout we didn't prove it, I think we are in the right direction.

"Definitely still a little bit [needed] to catch the top guys, in terms of also the chassis, but we are now optimistic.

"We know our strengths, we know our weakness, and we need to make sure that in March next year we attack all of them."

Link to the quote https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13292 ... y-bad-year

NathanOlder

When making the claim about having the best car, Thats talking about the chassis.
and yes, one quote saying some tracks we are better is still saying we have the best chassis as certain tracks.

Different Chassis are suited to different tracks, thats why we end up with different cars winning at certain tracks, same goes for the PU's.

Mclaren HAVE claimed to have the best chassis. even if they did so at 1 track for 1 session, they still made that claim. Now you seem hell bent on making me prove that everyone at mclaren said they have the best chassis at every track on every day.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Can you answer this question, Has a member of the Mclaren F1 team, at any stage of 2017 said, They have the best Chassis ?? Yes or No ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 17:10
Can you answer this question, Has a member of the Mclaren F1 team, at any stage of 2017 said, They have the best Chassis ?? Yes or No ?
The only quote I can find is Alonso saying he thought he had the best car at the Mexico GP qualifying session which he later elaborated he thought was track specific.

Your original quote was:
NathanOlder wrote:He's just arguing with the Mclaren team themselves. They ARE saying THEY HAVE THE BEST CHASSIS on the grid. If thats the case they will beat Red Bull next season. If you beat Red Bull next season you have a great chance of winning races and a title. Now i would have thought most us could agree Mclaren won't be winning much at all next season. Which makes Techmans predictions correct. And when he says Mclaren are hiding behind Honda, its exactly what they are doing.
You didn't say 'Alonso said McLaren have the best chassis', you said the McLaren team and said if this is true they should beat RBR next season. If the only quote you can find is Alonso talking about a single session I don't see how you can stretch that to the team suggesting they will beat RBR.

Anyway, this is a real derailment of the thread so apologies to all.

NathanOlder

I only expect you to apologise to Techman after Mclaren screw up 2018, but getting it in there now is probably best all round.

You asked me to provide a quote from Mclaren , which i did, Alonso IS Mclaren, and they did at some stage this season say they had the best car (chassis)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

McHonda
McHonda

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 17:30
I only expect you to apologise to Techman after Mclaren screw up 2018, but getting it in there now is probably best all round.

You asked me to provide a quote from Mclaren , which i did, Alonso IS Mclaren, and they did at some stage this season say they had the best car (chassis)
Maybe for you but that doesn't mean his comments are the teams too. He's an individual employee like any other and has his own opinions and even elaborates on his quote about "having the best chassis in Mexico Q1" which you've decided to attach to the whole team and extrapolate across the whole year in a "McLaren team say they have the best car on the grid" in such an obvious clickbait style.

As if a team or its fans have to be held to something a driver says off-the-cuff about 1 session out of 40 contested and apologise to someone on the internet if in an entirely different car in an entirely different year with an entirely different engine on an entirely different track finishes behind yet another entirely different car in an entirely different year whilst all being driven by 4 different drivers who's form isn't some static thing which happens to be exactly equal as well so we can purely get the "chassis" order from the finishing order.

You're bored and on the wind up,right?

HPD

Probably from the team they never said "we have the best chassis"
Just as Honda never said "we have the best engine".

But I will tell you where the real problem is.

The words or comments of Alonso reach all parts of the world. More than Mclaren's words. Thousands of Alonso fans, mainly in Spain, are convinced that Mclaren will win races in 2018.

It does not matter that Mclaren said "this or that" .. The pressure was already created by Alonso.

NathanOlder

Alonso IS mclaren. He represents the team. He's the front of the team, the face ect.

So if Alonso is just an individual so cant be classed as the team speaking, that goes for for Zak and Brown too ? So the only way "Mclaren" can speak is if the Mp4-32 jumps up and starts talking ?? Come on guys.

Alonso is a team representative, what he says is what Mclaren say. Thats why the drivers are trained to not say anything stupid.

Mclaren have said they have the best chassis at some point this season. You cant see this ?

Anyway I give up, and ill not read any more of this thread. Roll on 2018.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

McHonda
McHonda

HPD wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 18:22
Probably from the team they never said "we have the best chassis"
Just as Honda never said "we have the best engine".

But I will tell you where the real problem is.

The words or comments of Alonso reach all parts of the world. More than Mclaren's words. Thousands of Alonso fans, mainly in Spain, are convinced that Mclaren will win races in 2018.

It does not matter that Mclaren said "this or that" .. The pressure was already created by Alonso.
Alonso hyping his fans doesn't do any harm, they've had a tough few years and its the first winter for a while there's a feeling of the unknown rather than a feeling of impending gloom so I don't mind his confidence and if I worked at McLaren I'd appreciate the vote of confidence.

About winning, It wouldn't surprise me in the least if McLaren won a race next year, whether they can do it on pure pace and performance is another thing of course but Alonso's finished 5th a few times while losing upwards of *insert scary figure* on the engine side in the past few seasons and we've seen Renault has more than enough power for the odd win so its hardly earth shattering if things fall his way he can better that. He'd have won Baku this year with equal performance to Renault for example.

He's won races in cars half a second behind the best cars before for Ferrari so there's quite a scope for McLaren lagging a little to Red Bull car wise but still be within striking distance for him on a good day so how being behind RB car-wise automatically equates to McLaren can't win is utter nonsense (I know you personally never claimed that here of course). Driver/Strategy/Weather or just dumb luck can all provide chances for victory if you're not hamstrung to the extent they have been.

I think they'll pull of a win at some point throughout the season if they can get within 5-7ths by Spain, I'll be an optimist and admit it here that I'm quite optimistic they'll have a couple of podiums and a win but unfortunately I don't think more than that is likely in year one of the new package with such strong competition.

McHonda
McHonda

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 18:41
Alonso IS mclaren. He represents the team. He's the front of the team, the face ect.

So if Alonso is just an individual so cant be classed as the team speaking, that goes for for Zak and Brown too ? So the only way "Mclaren" can speak is if the Mp4-32 jumps up and starts talking ?? Come on guys.

Alonso is a team representative, what he says is what Mclaren say. Thats why the drivers are trained to not say anything stupid.

Mclaren have said they have the best chassis at some point this season. You cant see this ?

Anyway I give up, and ill not read any more of this thread. Roll on 2018.
Zak's the boss so of course his views carry more weight and can be described as 'McLaren's' as he's the teams decision maker. Alonso drives his car.

At least for me there's a clear difference that when Alonso speaks he speaks for Alonso but when Zak speaks he speaks for McLaren but I understand where you're coming from in terms of Alonso's profile of course but for me the drivers comments are separate and that goes for all drivers/teams.

I don't think Ferrari said **** you Charlie for example.

OviJohn
OviJohn

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 17:30

You asked me to provide a quote from Mclaren, which i did, Alonso IS Mclaren, and they did at some stage this season say they had the best car (chassis)
Still is and soon to be was

So taking your logic into account, lets all agree that Honda is truly a bad engine and hasn't achieved suitable racing progress since 2015. Because the same guy that IS Mclaren called it a "GP2 Engine" for all the world to hear. #-o

When Techman apologizes for all the stuff he said as his old nickname, saying TR had better chassis than Mclaren plus all the BS he has been stating during this season, then, maybeeee, some here will reply to him on a similar tone.

On another note, Here´s the season wrap up videos from Mclaren and drivers.

Team
https://youtu.be/3PahHNPWa2w

Alonso and Stoffel:
https://youtu.be/41W96Cs3T9w