2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Renault

Is he? I didn't think he was... then again, he was driving against Sainz who is evidently an exceptional driver.

QF performance:
Malaysia - SAI vs GAS +0.15s
Japan - SAI vs GAS +0.8s
CotA - KVT vs HAR +0.8s

I'll admit in Malaysia Gasly was impressively close to Sainz (0.15s) in Q2, but in Japan the difference is rather large (0.8s). Same difference Kvyat was quicker than Hartley in CotA.

Gasly might have been extremely impressive in the lower Formulas, but so has Leclerc. And supposedly Palmer. Doesn't mean they cut it in F1. And no, I am not bashing the new prospects of F1, I am just thinking that TR is assessing its drivers. On one hand, they want to finish the end of this year on a high without losing a position in the WCC, but at the same time, they want to know who to place in their two seats going into 2018 and as far as I know, no drivers have been confirmed a drive yet?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

WaikeCU

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 10:32
Phil wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 10:05
Well, he's contracted to RedBull regardless if he gets to drive or not. Torro-Rosso placing Gasly and Hartley into both cars could mean that they are evaluating them against one another. I thought this may be perhaps a sign that they are trying to find the best solution for 2018, which could be Kvyat with either Gasly or Hartley. The only way to evaluate both newcomers is to put them against each other.
I think you are reaching. What we do know is that he has been removed from a RedBull group car 3 times of which at least twice has been embarrassing and soul destroying for Kyvat.

What does Kyvat need? To be in the bloody car to build confidence for 2018 not to be shelved again (If that is all it is). All this current removal after 1 race does is give Kyvat another massive kick in the spuds.
He's being paid to take that seat and drive as fast as he can, not paid for sitting on his couch watching GOT. He's paid for what he's doing best and that's to drive an F1 car.

Think of football when a player is paid millions a season, but is benched during games. Would you like to be that player? I doubt it.

However it would be funny if there's a different team like Ferrari, Williams or even Mercedes who would like to take him off Red Bull's hands and prove them wrong on Kvyat's driving skils and competitiveness.

Raleigh
Raleigh

There's a distinct tiering to the value of success in lower formula.

Rosberg, Hamilton and Hulkenberg all won GP2 titles in their first season and went straight into F1, Leclerc has also just won in his rookie year and looks set to follow in their footsteps.

Glock, Grosjean, Vandoorne and Gasly all won the title in their 2nd full season of GP2, all got into F1. (technically Grosjean's 4th season, but 2 were cut in half by mid season moves to and from F1)

Meanwhile, 5 drivers have won a GP2 title in their 4th or 5th full season, of the five only Maldonado and Palmer got into F1, Pantano, Leimer and Velsecchi did not. Maldonado was understandable considering how much backing he had, but I was really quite surprised Renault gave Palmer a chance, he'd never been a particularly convincing GP2 champion and the F1 results backed that up.

restless
restless

few notes:
-Palmer paid big money (~10mln "sponsorship")
-Kvyat has contract with RB for 2 more years... so IF RB doesn't want him in F1, he has problems in order to jump in another car. His sponsors (Acronis) doesn't bring much money.

NathanOlder

Kvyat been given the boot. aka Sacked.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 19:22
Well that confirms it.
What a truly awful mind job RedBull have pulled on that young man.
Demoted, dropped, reinstated, dropped and Sacked all inside of 18 months.

I'll say again although he's not the quickest and slightly mentally fragile he isn't the worst on the grid by far. He has had a complete lack of support and instead used as if he was a piece of crap on RedBulls shoe.

NathanOlder

Have to say it puts some serious pressure on Gasly now. I mean if he's beaten over then next race or races by Hartley (i dont expect he will) then Gasly will almost be dead and buried before nexr year begins!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

It indeed remains to be seen whether either of them will appear @ Toro Rosso next year.

How about that Finnish RB junior driver, i assume he isn't near enough on superlicense points, or could he make the cut next f1 season?
Would it also be possible that Honda's development/test driver Matsushita enters some totally random FIA events so he can score enough superlicnese points?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Maybe Honda will flex their muscles in the driver line ups, demand 2 japanese guys.

Kobayashi and Sato.

To be honest, that will be better than any line up Toro Rosso put together next year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

NathanOlder wrote:
I think you'll find this is good news for Kvyat.

restless
restless

Manoah2u wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:37
Would it also be possible that Honda's development/test driver Matsushita enters some totally random FIA events so he can score enough superlicnese points?
No way.

Raleigh
Raleigh

A shame, Kvyat was fast (remember he beat Ricciardo on points in 2015) but he just went to pieces after a few mistakes and then being dumped to make room for Max.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Raleigh wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 03:16
A shame, Kvyat was fast (remember he beat Ricciardo on points in 2015) but he just went to pieces after a few mistakes and then being dumped to make room for Max.
He did however if he recieved the same levels of support as recently then it's hardly surprising.

Vasconia

Cold Fussion wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 04:26
NathanOlder wrote:
I think you'll find this is good news for Kvyat.
If he finds another team which is very difficult right now. It terrible how RB/TR has treated him. He was back in USA, he was clearly faster but anyway he has been sacked. #-o

F1NAC

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 22:52
Maybe Honda will flex their muscles in the driver line ups, demand 2 japanese guys.

Kobayashi and Sato.

To be honest, that will be better than any line up Toro Rosso put together next year.
Kobayashi = Toyota
Sato = too old