2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Squid
Squid

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I'd love to see Vergne back in F1, especially after his stint in FE.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Squid wrote:
17 May 2018, 15:16
I'd love to see Vergne back in F1, especially after his stint in FE.
Vergne didn't have very nice things to say about the signing of Hartley and the whole Toro Rosso set up... Don't know if there's still a bridge there to be honest.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Revs84
Revs84

For an underpowered PU, that overtake on a Sauber at 4:03 ain't too bad 8)

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... -thun.html

Especially when considering that Alonso, the man himself, struggled to overtake the other Sauber in front of him earlier on in the race.

McMika98
McMika98

What makes you think its underpowered? Speed trap have always been in top 10 on all tracks so far.
Actually i was dissapointed he couldnt pass Sirotkin earlier as that ruined his race and any hope for points by going long on mediums.

Revs84
Revs84

McMika98 wrote:
17 May 2018, 22:01
What makes you think its underpowered? Speed trap have always been in top 10 on all tracks so far.
Actually i was dissapointed he couldnt pass Sirotkin earlier as that ruined his race and any hope for points by going long on mediums.
I'm speaking relatively to Ferrari and Mercedes. Honda themselves admit they still need to catch them.

I really can't wait for their upgrade and truly hoping the step up will be bigger than their rivals' so they can close the gap.

carisi2k

I think the Honda PU is better then the Renault. The Renault is being flattered by the Red Bull chassis but the Toro Rosso is hitting much higher top speeds then it did with the Renault in 2017. I think the chassis and maybe some driver performance is not optimizing that package at the moment. I still think Daniel and Red Bull wins the Chinese Grand Prix with a Honda PU and I would go further and say that Daniel and Red Bull would have won Bahrain with the Honda as well.

restless
restless

Any news why John Tatham is out of TR ?
Fired, leaving on his own or?

baybars
baybars

carisi2k wrote:
18 May 2018, 04:43
I think the Honda PU is better then the Renault. The Renault is being flattered by the Red Bull chassis but the Toro Rosso is hitting much higher top speeds then it did with the Renault in 2017. I think the chassis and maybe some driver performance is not optimizing that package at the moment. I still think Daniel and Red Bull wins the Chinese Grand Prix with a Honda PU and I would go further and say that Daniel and Red Bull would have won Bahrain with the Honda as well.
You are right !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcS11eQpC2g

Talisman
Talisman

carisi2k wrote:
In terms of reliability and packaging Honda might be better. In terms of power I agree with Honda themselves who claim to be the least powerful.

I don't get why people persist in claiming high top speeds are indicative of good power output, ever heard of drag?

I know there is a strong desire here for Honda to be better but it doesn't help to claim things for which there is very little evidence.

etusch

I hope you are not one who refuse drag affect when Honda Mclaren time.
Baybars case ; Hartley said pace come at last laps of race. So when Alo overtake Toro Rosso he couldn't find pace. If it were last laps of race It wouldn't so easy. We accepted that renault has more power but not that much.
People talks too much about max speed because it is directly relevant with power but main reason is at McLaren time Honda accused because of lack of Max speed of Mclaren by being underpowered.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Talisman wrote:
18 May 2018, 10:35
carisi2k wrote:
In terms of reliability and packaging Honda might be better. In terms of power I agree with Honda themselves who claim to be the least powerful.

I don't get why people persist in claiming high top speeds are indicative of good power output, ever heard of drag?

I know there is a strong desire here for Honda to be better but it doesn't help to claim things for which there is very little evidence.
I'd believe this drag/downforce reason more if TR's times were consistently worse than McL. But in quali.. it doesn't seem to be true at all. So it's not like they're giving much on aero performance.

The engines in outright performance are close. That's all I'd say.

That video with Alonso overtaking Hartley with DRS on a straight.. I don't know what that proves lol. I've seen a TR overtake a Force India in the same scenario.

Wouter

"Honda's plan of attack" Tanabe on the F1 site:

“Concerning performance and reliability, we always need to compromise,” said Tanabe. “If you push too hard on the performance, sometimes you can have reliability problems.

“We evaluate how much we can push on the performance, then we see the result in reliability. Then we try to find a compromise.” Attention has turned to performance and that is the focus on the next update.

“It’s not very easy to make big steps of improvement,” said Tanabe. “Of course, we are planning to apply update items during the season. At the moment, we cannot tell you when they are coming.”

Balancing development aggression

Honda are attempting to get through the season with as few penalties as possible, rather than bring updates as soon as possible in a bid to improve the overall performance quickly.

That means they will aim to introduce updates when a fresh unit is scheduled to be introduced. If a team is working on a perfect schedule, evenly spreading the use of components, they would look to change around Canada and Singapore.

Honda are already off schedule, which is due to a mix of unreliability and driver error, but there is still scope to reduce the size of penalties dramatically compared to previous years.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... tack-.html
The Power of Dreams!

yener

Let's wait and see what happens in Monaco. I think the STR is designed within the less powerfull Honda engine in mind. They must have comprimised the aero dynamic package.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Talisman
Talisman

GhostF1 wrote:
18 May 2018, 12:15
Talisman wrote:
18 May 2018, 10:35
carisi2k wrote:

I'd believe this drag/downforce reason more if TR's times were consistently worse than McL. But in quali.. it doesn't seem to be true at all. So it's not like they're giving much on aero performance.

The engines in outright performance are close. That's all I'd say.

That video with Alonso overtaking Hartley with DRS on a straight.. I don't know what that proves lol. I've seen a TR overtake a Force India in the same scenario.
You mean quali sessions where the STRs generally have a higher top speed but slightly worse laptime than the McLarens? Doesn’t that prove my point?

I agree that the difference is likely very small, probably in the region of a few HP. What I have an issue is with people seemingly making claims about power with the flimsiest of evidence.

Sayeman

So with Lando being superb in the latest tests, I think Mclaren is ready to kick Stoffel out. What if Torro-Rosso hired him? Would be better than Pascal/Hartley for sure.
Never Give up.