2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Juzh wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 08:24
McMika98 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 22:41
Vtec is kicking in. Engine roar is just amazing and for first time the wastegate is being vented on acceleration ala ferrari.
They've been doing this forever now.
Maybe but it was the first time on FIA feed where the opening the wastegate released an explosion, several orders of decibels higher. Before this only heard something similar from Ferrari and the rest had an appreciable shift in note but not as dramatic.
Being careful not to read too much into a wet FP2 session however cant help notice the amazing engine driveability in tricky conditions. In sector 2 and 3 car is matching Mercs. Sector 1 with the most chicanes was only sector where Gasly was down to Max and by quite a margin.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Man i love this sound

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

McMika98 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 09:10
Maybe but it was the first time on FIA feed where the opening the wastegate released an explosion, several orders of decibels higher. Before this only heard something similar from Ferrari and the rest had an appreciable shift in note but not as dramatic.
Being careful not to read too much into a wet FP2 session however cant help notice the amazing engine driveability in tricky conditions. In sector 2 and 3 car is matching Mercs. Sector 1 with the most chicanes was only sector where Gasly was down to Max and by quite a margin.
Same thing with the video i posted here
Jaisonas wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:11
I'll never get tired of listening to honda's onboards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEZGKfo50o
You can hear the wastegates open in 0:13 when he presses the OT button

Marti_EF3

I love that Honda PU sound when accelerating or part throttle on a turn. It's so different than the others PU =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

ispano6

Like a big animal, sounds raw and lifelike. Gotta love Honda engineers and their attention to the acoustics of the package. Reminds me of the HSV-010 GT and how it sounded like an F1 car.
Hopefully some of this new technology ends up in their road cars. Honda seriously needs a better hybrid offering and they should seriously consider performance hybrid SUVs and Sports cars like Rover and Jaguar with their Acura brand. Success in Formula 1 (or just being in F1) should help push those products, perhaps even with Red Bull or Toro Rosso branding.

makecry
makecry

ispano6 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 18:04
Like a big animal, sounds raw and lifelike. Gotta love Honda engineers and their attention to the acoustics of the package. Reminds me of the HSV-010 GT and how it sounded like an F1 car.
Hopefully some of this new technology ends up in their road cars. Honda seriously needs a better hybrid offering and they should seriously consider performance hybrid SUVs and Sports cars like Rover and Jaguar with their Acura brand. Success in Formula 1 (or just being in F1) should help push those products, perhaps even with Red Bull or Toro Rosso branding.
Both insight hybrid and accord hybrid are alright cars tbh.

ispano6

makecry wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 18:44
Both insight hybrid and accord hybrid are alright cars tbh.
They are but I was thinking outside of the sedan body style. An affordable to upscale coupe and Suv, S2000 type hybrid successor for SuperGT, and a svelte 3row family hauler. All would need to be EV or plugin/HOV access.

Juzh

Since both TR are running a brand new spec engine this race I figured I'd put up a quick comparison against renault and ferrari. Keep in mind car position on the track map is not very accurate and should not be relied upon for precise messurements. Only speeds at the end of various straights are important here. I synced all 3 cars at the braking point for T1 as there's no way to tell when the laps actually do begin.

As we can see honda's new engine has definitely jumped renault (in quali at least) but ferrari is on a different planet still. I didn't include mercedes but it's a bit below ferrari and some way ahead of honda.

Snorked
Snorked

Horner said their analysis power out tools put Honda comfortably in between Renault and Mercedes / Ferrari. With the spec 3 they halved the gap to the top two.

It seems the team removed the update from Gasly's car after FP3, they didn't run it enough because of the poor weather to have a proper evaluation.

Bill
Bill

Gasly won't run with new updates difficult to understand Str position they are already at the back

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Why is Gasly so slow?

Snorked
Snorked

Pretty sure I saw Gasly flying off track to avoid the Stroll Alonso carnage. So I'd have a guess and say he's picked up some damage.

McMika98
McMika98

Damm all week they focus on racepace and WTF they were so much faster in Quali.

Karim28
Karim28

Obviously there is something wrong in the car or engine during the races
This performance is really poor

Marti_EF3

Hartley did well today. But the STR chasis without upgrades is what it is... He ended ahead of a Sauber with SS tires during the last 15 laps, so not bad at all without any major car upgrades. Only with PU upgrades. Not looking bad at all.