2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nevill3

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

The team did use a different engine each day at the first test (Excluding the Snow Day). This was by choice rather than necessity but used only one engine at the second test. I hate the way that a simple fact of using three engines was used to imply poor reliability by some of the press when they either did not know the true facts or chose to omit them from their reports.
Good luck TR and Honda.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

techman
techman

i kinda used to press being negative towards honda for sometime. its natural. but what iam angry is why dont those honda people stand for themselves? last year they kept their mouth closed when false blame was pointed on them. this testing this season showed it was not only honda fault. but honda for some reason maybe to keep partnership and those bosses happy decided to keep their mouth closed. and what happen in the end. partnership broke

kasio
kasio

They have their own press which as we have seen with some example traslations is working great for them. And sources we use are not serious to them... :) how can it be if You compare it to information we get by reading one japanese page or 10 clickbites on our "normal" information sources...
Its not comparable IMHO and that expalains why they do not stress about bad press.

loner

maguetox wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 01:34
loner wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 00:45
was STR the fatest car during winter testing ?
Not a big margin, but I bet STR went to the winter test with a very low expectations after Honda had 3 miserable years with Mclaren, a few months to adapt the chassis to the new PU and hundreds of question marks to answer, but after been the 3 team with more laps under its belt, with apparently no serious problem of integration and a very few visible reliability problems they have all the right to revise their Melbourne ambitions.

I can be sure that all but a few people with good inside knowledge of the the Honda situation where expecting that after a few laps the first Honda PU had problems in the middle of the track (I even imagine some journalist with the news have it ready just to sent it to world), to the contrary was the Mclaren that have the first problem on track, ironies of live.

Don´t expect to much, if the finish the race in a good position and close to the points, it will be a victory for a team that is been working with their heads down that is building the foundations of something bigger.
it just STR car last year was so slim at the rear, people were praising the car and its aerodynamic alot i think the car will change alot during the season
para bellum.

dren

I figure TR thought they were going to bring up the rear at the start of the year. Now, it looks like they might be better than a team or two, so that's a plus.
Honda!

dren

loner wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 14:25
it just STR car last year was so slim at the rear, people were praising the car and its aerodynamic alot i think the car will change alot during the season
Key stated that next year's car is what will really take advantage of the works PU since they will be able to design the package together.
Honda!

j.yank
j.yank

HPD wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 12:27
According to many "journalists." TR is only faster than Sauber. :lol:
With the exception of AMUS that places him in the fight for the fourth place
Well, I tried to compare the performance of the teams based on three fundamental parameters (IMHO): classification based on time per lap per day per team (first gets 10 points, last gets 1 point), the number of laps per team per day - if there are two drivers per team their combined laps are counted (every 10 finished laps receive 1 point), and what tire compound has been used to achieve the best time per day per team (mediums get 5 points, hyper softs get 1 point). What we see?

Between Toro Rosso and McLaren, Toro Rosso is clear winner:

Interestingly, Red Bull is only slightly better:

From the rest of the middle pack Haas is the strongest contender:

Williams and Sauber are definitely behind Toro Rosso:

Mercedes and Ferrari are definitely ahead of Toro Rosso (of course):

And finaly, here are the average values per team for all 7 test days:

I know that this is very rough and not presentable, and very relative, but just to have some general idea how each team performed in tests.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

j.yank wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 17:23
HPD wrote:
Well, I tried to compare the performance of the teams based on three fundamental parameters (IMHO): classification based on time per lap per day per team (first gets 10 points, last gets 1 point), the number of laps per team per day - if there are two drivers per team their combined laps are counted (every 10 finished laps receive 1 point), and what tire compound has been used to achieve the best time per day per team (mediums get 5 points, hyper softs get 1 point). What we see?

https://s20.postimg.org/5tj6xxc4t/t-m.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/umsqyiajx/r-m-t.jpg

That statement, "Red Bull is only slightly better" kind of puts a very big question mark on your whole presentation.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Marti_EF3

Speed trap of the 4 days of Test 2

dren

It looks like 324km was the max they were seeing. That's not too bad relative to the rest.
Honda!

amho

Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 20:14
http://soymotor.com/sites/default/files ... 1-2018.jpg

STR hit 334 kph in the first week of testing, it seems that first spec was more powerful although we don't know about aero setup and wind condition.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

That speed trap table screams Renault engines are in trouble? Consistently low/bottom end of the chat, apart from a few anomalies of Carlos and Max being high up. Start finish figures carried the same pattern.

j.yank
j.yank

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 19:15
j.yank wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 17:23
HPD wrote:

https://s20.postimg.org/5tj6xxc4t/t-m.jpg

https://s20.postimg.org/umsqyiajx/r-m-t.jpg

That statement, "Red Bull is only slightly better" kind of puts a very big question mark on your whole presentation.
This is just a statistic, not presentation. Everyone is free how to interprete the facts.

Marti_EF3

amho wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 21:15
Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 20:14
http://soymotor.com/sites/default/files ... 1-2018.jpg

STR hit 334 kph in the first week of testing, it seems that first spec was more powerful although we don't know about aero setup and wind condition.
At day 3 I was there, and a wind aprox 15kmh blowing counterside of straight line,so it could affect to speed for sure...

What it seems is STR is on the middle of speed trap, so no bad at all, maybe at Test 2 they put some downforce on the car despite Test 1 (front wing upgrade, T wing...)

McMika98
McMika98

In 2017 quali 326 was the fastest speed, so 324 is not bad. Hoping TR take the tactical extra engine and honda deliver the new combustion by summer. Podium in Monza! Lol