2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: McLaren MCL33

Not specially interesting article, but I think this bit is:

(Sorry for my poor and free translation)
Alonso wrote:
We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1
That´s after saying they perfectly know if they´re 10 miliseconds faster or slower at each corner, what are each team tire pressures, etc. so they perfectly know how they perform at each department

https://as.com/motor/2018/03/16/formula ... 00624.html

As an Alonso supporter, I can say Honda adventure made me assume Alonso would quit, and I was conviced about that, but at some point he decided to stay so to me this statement makes me understand the reason and makes me also more optimistic for the season :D
i would like to know what you think about the mclaren car, and where it would be in aus come qualifying?

marvin78
marvin78

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:52

Alonso wrote:We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1
That´s after saying they perfectly know if they´re 10 miliseconds faster or slower at each corner, what are each team tire pressures, etc. so they perfectly know how they perform at each department

As an Alonso supporter, I can say Honda adventure made me assume Alonso would quit, and I was conviced about that, but at some point he decided to stay so to me this statement makes me understand the reason and makes me also more optimistic for the season :D

Why is that? Alonsos last decisions were not that good. So you cannot say: if Alonso says it's good and I continue, it will be good. He often was very wrong. There is no causation.

Alonso Fan

techman wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:57

Alonso wrote:
We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1

i would like to know what you think about the mclaren car, and where it would be in aus come qualifying?
Considering they have a big aero upgrade for Australia, it's hard to tell. But definitely right now what seems correct is that they are 4th or thereabouts with similar pace to Renault (which is still a vast improvement on last year)

However they do develop very well throughout the season. So it will be interesting seeing their progression for sure
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

marvin78 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:35
Andres125sx wrote:

Alonso wrote:We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1

Why is that? Alonsos last decisions were not that good. So you cannot say: if Alonso says it's good and I continue, it will be good. He often was very wrong. There is no causation.
Fernando's last decisions have not been good only with the benefit of hindsight. Joining Mclaren first time round, going to Ferrari, even coming back to Mclaren seemed like good decisions when they were made.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

marvin78
marvin78

Yes and that's what I meant: Andres wrote that he is optimistic because Alonso decides to stay and I don't understand this reason. There could be other reasons for being optimistic. This is not.

godlameroso

Alonso says that he can fight with the top guys if he's within a few tenths. As of testing he was just under a second off. I think there is a nice chunk of time to find, once they get comfortable with the new power unit. Alonso decided to stay because he sees McLaren took a step forward with the chassis compared to previous years.
Saishū kōnā

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Joseki
Joseki

Thunder

Embracing the Meme :mrgreen:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Thunder wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 14:32
Embracing the Meme :mrgreen:
It was about time someone has actually done it.

I applaud the marketing team, they can say our flip flops are as strong and as durable as the halo :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

cplchanb
cplchanb

so a thong within a thong....inception

adrianjordan

I wonder if they'll paint the halo blue then?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Andres125sx

techman wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 09:57

Alonso wrote:

I never bother to make predictions based on winter tests where none of us have an idea about fuel load, PU settings, drivers pushing to the limit or not, tire pressures, car settings, if all parts attached to the car are definite or only testing some new..... :wink:

Andres125sx

marvin78 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 12:35
Andres125sx wrote:

As GroundEffect said, hindsight is great Marvin but I don´t think signing in with Ferrari or McLaren can be considered wrong decisions

But I´m sure you knew beforehand a new team with no previous experience in F1 and no car manufacturer support will beat all the big boys back in 2008-9 when RBR arrived F1, correct? :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

marvin78 wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 13:16
Yes and that's what I meant: Andres wrote that he is optimistic because Alonso decides to stay and I don't understand this reason. There could be other reasons for being optimistic. This is not.
In your opinion, mine is different

Alonso, different to you and me, have access to all data F1 teams manage, and that´s loads of interesting and accurate info. So if he´s noticed a chassis evolution with McLaren car wich is good enough to motivate him to keep fighting in F1, to me that´s the best news any Alonso or McLaren fan can get, because as he´s said repeatedly, after two titles his only motivation to stay in F1 is fighting for a third.

This obviously does not mean MCL33 will be a title contender, but if it´s good enough to keep his motivation in F1, then it´s good enough to feed my optimism :)