2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman
techman

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Did McLaren had any cooling issues, except burnt bodywork? Can't find any, did I missed something?
(Facts, links, or confirmations please)
here is a link
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13469 ... er-burning

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

techman wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 21:11
Did McLaren had any cooling issues, except burnt bodywork? Can't find any, did I missed something?
(Facts, links, or confirmations please)
here is a link
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13469 ... er-burning
So just some burnt bodywork, and quick fix?

techman
techman

So just some burnt bodywork, and quick fix?
i hope its a quick fix but did the quick fix work. we saw many holes created in the cover but did it stop any failures in the test.

here is a quote from EB
"We're working on a new package with a new engine partner, so we have to detect the heat soak pockets," Boullier told Autosport.

"While we find some other way to redesign the cooling inside the car, we are using some very quick fixes now.

"We might keep it actually, we don't know.

"Maybe we need to redesign some ducts somewhere, or whatever.

Chicane
Chicane

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 19:49
Its not all about how tight it looks from the outside.. Under the skin the engineers try to open up as big space as possible for air flow. The engine and gearbox anciliaries have to be squeezed tighter against the engine as a result. Only clever designs can keep the cooling and servicing of these areas from getting too difficult. Apparently McLaren did the opposite of Toro Rosso and went in too aggressivley with their first time with Renault. After experiencing the power of influencing engine packaging details that comes with being a works team, McLaren should have known better becoming engine customers. McLaren took a risk and it didn't work. Renault arent willing to spend any resources on modifying the engine for them and it looks like McLaren has to make custom engine ancilliary parts to get around the problems.
I respectfully want to ask, Can i know the source of your assumption?

McLaren successfully completed a race distance. So if they had serious cooling issues as you seem to allude to, how did they manage to complete it?

McLaren have come out and said that it is just heat pockets they could not identify before actually running the car as they lack a full chassis dyno. I have no reason to disbelieve Boullier.

I am not a technical person but Mclaren themselves have categorically said how they have followed Renault's instructions as far as cooling is concerned. So where is the question of them ''apparently going very aggressively on cooling'' as you suggest.
Quickshifter

PlatinumZealot

See the post by techman above. Their problems are not only limted to cooling but also an ultra tight fitment of components under the engine cover.
I will hazard a bet that one McLaren will DNF in Melbourne.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Bisonas

If it was a fundamental issue, they wouldn't be able to apply a fix within a day, and they wouldn't be able to do race sim.It would take much more work than cutting holes and put one tiny inlet.Most of the stoppages where not cooling related. They lost time with that exhaust clip, which maybe was a cooling issue that named it "exhaust clip" for the press. They did't had any other stoppages related to cooling.
Its not PlayStation. There is no daily fix for fundamental issues.
IMO they will be fine for AUS and if they have a DNF i don't think it will be cooling related.
I am more worried about their gearbox case that its housing a complete turbo for the first time in hybrid era.
They said the turbo failure was previous days leak related, but how true this may be, we don't know.
And TBH i dont't think they are 100% honest about all things in the press. No one is .

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

I don't think it's as complex as that. They had 5 breakdowns, one was a loose wheelnut, two were battery issues, one was a turbo problem, the last was a hydraulic leak, and a broken exhaust.
They also admitted that they could have done a better job preparing the car for the test. The issues aren't that serious.
A couple more problems like that and Boullier will be doing some gardening.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

I am sure McLaren has cooling issues too with the time it takes to get the engine installed. That and the 5 breakdowns mentioned are to be expected.

Torro Rosso had similar issues with the Honda install.................

zoroastar
zoroastar

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 12:04
carisi2k wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 00:12
Surely you guys can't be blaming the Renault engine for Mclaren's issues. No hiding this year for Mclaren when they can be directly compared to Red Bull. If the Renault engine is reliable in the Renault and Red Bull then the size zero philosophy will be shown to be faulty. In any case when you have a look in the car comparison thread you can see that while the Mclaren is easily the shortest car on the grid. Many of the other cars and especially the RB14's sidepods are much narrower then the MCL33's. Even the STR13's are slimmer and more aerodynamic then the MCL33. Surely it is time for Mclaren to refine it's philosophy in regards to chassis design.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27033&p=749092#p749092
So.... you´re bashing McLaren because of size zero philosophy, and two lines after you bash McLaren because even STR packaging is slimmer?? #-o #-o #-o

I know haters gonna hate, but this is too absurd man
seems like the only people talking about "size zero" these days are mclaren haters. basically every team has size zero now. i wonder if ron dennis hadnt coined the term 4 years ago, would all these people even bring up the size factor as hondas excuse for not building a good power unit.

McHonda
McHonda

fellowhoodlums wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 00:02
I am sure McLaren has cooling issues too with the time it takes to get the engine installed. That and the 5 breakdowns mentioned are to be expected.

Torro Rosso had similar issues with the Honda install.................
You could install 2 PU's in the rear of the STR by the looks of it so you'd have to ask questions if they suffered from issues with cooling.

Maybe that's what they did so they could carry on running even if one failed...

:wtf:

diffuser

Monster Hesh wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 17:19
From what could be heard from the tweets that McLaren made of the MCL33 setting off, it never sounded smooth or controlled. They had alot of learning and map implementing of the Renault engine, especially wet mapping.

Wonder if the Honda engine enabled them to have supreme driveability out of corners and they they will really miss that aspect. Or if during winter testing they got enough data to gain the control of the Renault engine out of corners.
You don't remember last year they had to shift earily cause of vibrations?
Don't think they got it resolved till late in the summer?

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

diffuser wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 02:48
Monster Hesh wrote:
17 Mar 2018, 17:19
From what could be heard from the tweets that McLaren made of the MCL33 setting off, it never sounded smooth or controlled. They had alot of learning and map implementing of the Renault engine, especially wet mapping.

Wonder if the Honda engine enabled them to have supreme driveability out of corners and they they will really miss that aspect. Or if during winter testing they got enough data to gain the control of the Renault engine out of corners.
You don't remember last year they had to shift earily cause of vibrations?
Don't think they got it resolved till late in the summer?
Wasn't vibration caused by geabrox and engine resonance?

diffuser

There were rumors about that being part of it. Think the MGU-H was another part of it.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

All part of why Honda spending so much time on the correllation with the dynamo this year. None of these things were discovered until it was in the car. But that's Honda....this is McLaren thread.

As an aside - It'll be interesting to see if the rear suspension works as anticipated. They did something similar a few years ago and it got ditched mid season.

Chicane
Chicane

Eric Boullier

"We didn't have the reliability we had hoped for in winter testing, but all the issues we faced have since been addressed back at the factory," he said.

"There's a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes to ensure we leave no stone unturned in our quest to extract the maximum pace we can from our new package from the first race."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... 16322/?s=1
Quickshifter