2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McHonda
McHonda

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

techman wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 00:43
It's not just McLaren that has praised their last two chassis's though so it's not coming from nowhere. AMuS has reported several times how well the car does with it's tyres and how the chassis matches up using GPS traces and rival engineers told James Allen that at the end of 2016 they felt McLaren had the 3rd best(Only because Ferrari stopped developing to be fair). Then you've got the known shortfalls of the engine but in spite of that McLaren kept finishing 7th on the traditional chassis tracks. The cars have been largely praised since Spain 2015 when Button described it as "scary" and only twice since then have the drivers had a go at it, Suzuka 2016 and Button in Brazil 2016.
honestly if you want to get impresive GPS data, just run max drag forget about efficiency and you will achieve it. mclaren only care about their GPS and boasting about their chassis and blaming the engine supplier. let be honest, mclaren renault will not be as efficient as a redbull with their current high drag philosophy. 2018 is the year of the truth. and if they achieve anything less than 3rd place in title chase, its a big disappoinment after so much boasting about GPS data
No you won't.

If only the others knew there was such a simple way of making your chassis look great. Just pile on drag!!.

mclaren111

JWGP:
McLaren has confirmed that Renault will not be referenced in the official team name designation for the 2018 season. Whilst Renault branding will feature within the team environment and livery as would be expected in a customer power unit relationship, the team will not be referred to as McLaren Renault.

Interesting

godlameroso

McLaren Datsun. Kidding, so just McLaren f1 team?
Saishū kōnā

bauc

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 16:28
Yeah, most probably it will be just Mclaren F1
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zoroastar wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 02:03
for someone that claims that you would "love to see mclaren fighting at the front" you seem rather anti-mclaren. anti alonso, pretty much anti anything that has to do with mclaren. no need to try hiding it, because its obvious. haha.
#-o :lol:

so short-sighted. one is able to critizise and then he must be anti and a hater. geesh.

I have expressed many times in the past my fond of Alonso and Mclaren, i have no need like some do to express their near worship-like levels of 'fan-ism' to whatever driver, team or anything at all.

but hey, live in your bubble.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

nevill3

Interesting insight to the work that goes on as soon as the season ends and the work load of the McLaren team. The sea freight leaves in the first week of January for the first race...
https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside ... 8-3174957/
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

diffuser

I believe Manoah2u is just being honest. he'd like them to do as well as possible, the likely hood of that is another question.

If I were McLaren, 4th would be a realistic goal. That is to say, 4th or anything better I would be extremely happy with, 5th happy and anything lower would be a disappointment.

Craigy

bauc wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 17:03
godlameroso wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 16:28
Yeah, most probably it will be just Mclaren F1
According to the team twitter, that is exactly what the team is called. They make a point of saying "one name".
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/948594477496766464

Edited to add:

Just for fun, I may start calling the team McLarenault, until someone points out how childish it is.

the EDGE
the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 20:36
I believe Manoah2u is just being honest. he'd like them to do as well as possible, the likely hood of that is another question.

If I were McLaren, 4th would be a realistic goal. That is to say, 4th or anything better I would be extremely happy with, 5th happy and anything lower would be a disappointment.
How could they be happy with 5?

1 below Redbull they could be happy, 1 above they can be extremely happy,
First or second they would be estatic

Anything else will be failure on a grand scale

Jolle
Jolle

the EDGE wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 23:04
diffuser wrote:

But... same goes for the Renault Works team. So, November 2018, at least one team will be disappointed 😂

McHonda
McHonda

the EDGE wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 23:04
diffuser wrote:

Renault works team being the unknown I think he's coming from. They'll improve again and they've got two good drivers and if Renault are serious, which they seem to be, then they could make pretty rapid progress.

How finishing behind Renault would reflect on McLaren depends how close they are and where Red Bull and Force India are imo. I'd be a little disappointed but couldn't get too upset about 5th if it was generally something like this for example..

RB
Renault +3ths
McLaren +4ths
Force India +9ths

But I'd be very disappointed with something like this...

RB
Renault +6ths
McLaren +1s
Force India +1.1s

So it depends on the context I think. Renault always win eventually so there will be a year we see the sudden step up and while I think it's 1yr too early personally, I wouldn't fall of my chair if they could get closer to RB than Macca could this year.

RonDennis
RonDennis

It's all about the pace they have next year, because I don't care if they end up 3rd, 4th of 5th. They could end 3rd, but if they are more than a second of the pace, would you call it a success? I wouldn't. Renault also said it, position is less important than closing the gap.

ME4ME

Prost:
"The factory team will race against two well-established teams," Prost told Auto Motor und Sport this week.

"And both of those teams also have top drivers," the four-time world champion added. "Maybe even the best. On paper we cannot beat Red Bull and McLaren."
http://en.f1i.com/news/287654-prost-ren ... omers.html

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ME4ME wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 23:32
Prost:
"The factory team will race against two well-established teams," Prost told Auto Motor und Sport this week.

"And both of those teams also have top drivers," the four-time world champion added. "Maybe even the best. On paper we cannot beat Red Bull and McLaren."
http://en.f1i.com/news/287654-prost-ren ... omers.html
well, that's a morele boost for Sainz, Hulkenberg and Enstone. :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Webber2011
Webber2011

nevill3 wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 19:08
Interesting insight to the work that goes on as soon as the season ends and the work load of the McLaren team. The sea freight leaves in the first week of January for the first race...
https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside ... 8-3174957/
Great read, thanks for that 👍