2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gdogg371
gdogg371

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Being both British and working in a technical job, Newey is sort of like a god to me, but I’ve never liked Red Bull as a team...would love to see him dig McLaren or Williams out of a hole, but not going to happen...

zoroastar
zoroastar

gdogg371 wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 23:52
Being both British and working in a technical job, Newey is sort of like a god to me, but I’ve never liked Red Bull as a team...would love to see him dig McLaren or Williams out of a hole, but not going to happen...
anyone besides me noticed that the shape of redbulls sidepods this year resemble the hull of a boat? theres no undercut as were used to seeing. i wonder if this shape has anything to do with his involvement in americas cup. possibly comparing apples to oranges, but just something i thought about. im in the same boat as you. (no pun intended) ive never been a fan of redbull. and if newey had anything else to prove, i think he may consider working for mclaren again. unfortunately he doesnt in f1.

godlameroso

The side pod deflectors on the RB14 look like sail boats with square masts. But this is the McLaren team thread, so new bits arriving for Germany. I'm guessing the big upgrade won't be ready until Spa.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 13:56
The side pod deflectors on the RB14 look like sail boats with square masts. But this is the McLaren team thread, so new bits arriving for Germany. I'm guessing the big upgrade won't be ready until Spa.
Any specifics on the new bits? I thought there would be further upgrades for Hungary. From what I remember, they were unsure of whether any new bits would be ready before Germany.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 13:56
They said about bringing a solution to current problems in Hungary but maybe some new parts in Germany too. Not sure what you're referring to with 'the big upgrade'.

godlameroso

Big update in the sense of it fixing the issue, if it's Hungary it'll be a welcome surprise. The aero deficiency is worth a fair bit of time, and the McLaren is already faster than the other midfielders in race trim(but not fast enough to overtake easily).
Saishū kōnā

M840TR
M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 15:57
Big update in the sense of it fixing the issue, if it's Hungary it'll be a welcome surprise. The aero deficiency is worth a fair bit of time, and the McLaren is already faster than the other midfielders in race trim(but not fast enough to overtake easily).
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with the 4th fastest car in race trim after fixing their issues. But Quali is a different matter.

godlameroso

It is, and on a positive note they're usually less than half a second from the top of the midfield, we forget how close it is in the midfield, so if the aero updates provide .3 it should be enough to get them comfortably to the top of that group, and they'll be able to stretch their legs since they won't be quite fast enough to trouble the top group.

For a team that wants to make headway being at the top of the midfield isn't just beneficial from a prize money standpoint but on the development front as well. As the team in this position will generally run in clean air during the race. Furthermore, if the two cars are running together they can get even more data and more points for the team. They can try things mid race like how turbulence affects aero and guide the designers to develop around that.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR
M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 16:37
It is, and on a positive note they're usually less than half a second from the top of the midfield, we forget how close it is in the midfield, so if the aero updates provide .3 it should be enough to get them comfortably to the top of that group, and they'll be able to stretch their legs since they won't be quite fast enough to trouble the top group.

For a team that wants to make headway being at the top of the midfield isn't just beneficial from a prize money standpoint but on the development front as well. As the team in this position will generally run in clean air during the race. Furthermore, if the two cars are running together they can get even more data and more points for the team. They can try things mid race like how turbulence affects aero and guide the designers to develop around that.
That would a comfortable place to be in. Easily ahead of the midfield but behind the top 3. League of their own. From a development POV they could finally start upgrading the car too once the problems have been solved and also focus on 2019 regs. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and wait for upcoming races.

diffuser

That where we all expected them to be. In fact if they "TRULY" resolved the issue, I expect them to be clear of the midfield. Not by much but none the less clear. Maybe ahead by a tenth or so in quali and gone in race pace.

gdogg371
gdogg371

I wonder what odds there are on McLaren falling into the hands of a BMW, Mercedes or VW in the next ten years as a whole? I know their applied technologies and road car businesses are doing a lot better than the F1 team is, but what would the selling price need to be for the group and would one of the major car manufacturers want to own them?

makecry
makecry

gdogg371 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:54
I wonder what odds there are on McLaren falling into the hands of a BMW, Mercedes or VW in the next ten years as a whole? I know their applied technologies and road car businesses are doing a lot better than the F1 team is, but what would the selling price need to be for the group and would one of the major car manufacturers want to own them?
~2bil GBP as of now.

BrunoH
BrunoH

they wold never sell, they need the F1 to keep the interest in the road cars etc..

gdogg371
gdogg371

makecry wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:56
gdogg371 wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 11:54
~2bil GBP as of now.
I dunno why, but I have this image of McLaren one day going the way of Cosworth or Ilmor and becoming part of a big car company, but still branded as McLaren...

adrianjordan

BrunoH wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 12:03
they wold never sell, they need the F1 to keep the interest in the road cars etc..
I think they were meaning the whole group, F1 Team, Applied Tech and Road Car Division etc.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️