2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AnthonyG

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 03:14
GhostF1 wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 03:08
I'm pretty sure Norris has mentioned if he isn't offered a seat at McLaren this year he will accept any outside offers. Which is why I'm feeling he'll appear at STR and McLaren will retain Vandoorne.
The problem I have with Stoffel now is he's like 2.5 years older than Sainz.
You shouldn't be blinded by age.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

techman
techman

Maybe they gave RBR Norris for Sainz
Just putting it out there lol
I reckon mclaren had to pay redbull to release sainz. it could be for norris trade. i hoping norris joins TR

mclaren111

Autosport.com

Sainz is on loan from Red Bull at Renault this season but his long-time backer retained an option to recall him to the senior team until September.

With Daniel Ricciardo making the shock decision to quit Red Bull for Renault, taking Sainz's seat, McLaren had to wait until Red Bull decided whether to promote Sainz or Pierre Gasly.

Thursday's confirmation that Sainz will race for McLaren next season means Red Bull has relinquished its option early and indicates it has committed to Toro Rosso driver Gasly partnering Max Verstappen in 2019.

Seems RBR did not want Sainz.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

gibells wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 09:01
The pressure is on McLaren to hold on to Norris. If he doesn't sign by the end of September he's free to go anywhere. And I reckon Marko is just biding his time.
Norris can extend with Mclaren and go on loan, look at Esteban, he's been on loan forever. I don't see much promise in the Red Bull program. They've pushed Kvyat, Ricciardo and now Sainz out the door, because they've turned all their attention to Max. He's fantastic, no doubt, but it appears Red Bull only have eyes for one driver now.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Just a minor detail we overlooked about Alonso's possible return to F1 in 2020.

“I think the door open is more because I think I am driving at the best level of my career now," he explained. "And why to close doors if anything could happen in the future?

“I am still young. I am not 45 years old. I feel strong and I am doing this year 27 races, so my thinking is to stop. And that is why I stop. But who knows? That is the reason why.”
Last edited by M840TR on 17 Aug 2018, 13:02, edited 2 times in total.

Gothrek
Gothrek

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 16:54
Macklaren wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:47
M840TR wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:42

They're much happier with Bottas Hamilton partnership. For the next two years at least.
Maybe...but that's not what Ocon himself is thinking (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... 25/?nrt=54)

I think if Norris ends the F2 season well and wins the championship or finishes a close runner up, he will get the seat.
Winning the F2 title, or being close shouldn't be a criteria, just look at Stoffel. I think he should have been given Friday practice sessions this year, if he was being considered for next year. If they ended up with Sainz and Ocon, I'll be ecstatic.
Cant put the blame on Stoffel for a broken car McLaren refused to fix or by not giving him updates in compared to Alonso. Half the time they are driving a different car.

Andres125sx

ALO_Power wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 16:32
As for Alonso, I understand it like this: He knows that he's still on top forms but he can't know for how much longer. He sees that there's no chance to fight for the title in F1 in 2019 so he decided to make a better use of his current form instead of fighting just for some points. He probably wanna win WEC title this year and next year try to chase an Indycar title, Indy 500 victory (to complete the triple crown) and maybe one more WEC title. With those or most of those accomplished maybe he could come back in F1 for another go. It's just a matter of either staying just to score points or try get the triple crown and more titles in other categories under his belt. Imo, that's the best thing he could do. If he had machinery capable of fighting for more titles in F1, for sure that would be the ideal.
Hopefully! :D

McG

Gothrek wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:59
Ground Effect wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:47

Maybe...but that's not what Ocon himself is thinking (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... 25/?nrt=54)

I think if Norris ends the F2 season well and wins the championship or finishes a close runner up, he will get the seat.
Winning the F2 title, or being close shouldn't be a criteria, just look at Stoffel. I think he should have been given Friday practice sessions this year, if he was being considered for next year. If they ended up with Sainz and Ocon, I'll be ecstatic.
Cant put the blame on Stoffel for a broken car McLaren refused to fix or by not giving him updates in compared to Alonso. Half the time they are driving a different car.
Alonso said McLaren have only had 1 meaningful upgrade this season so far. So I'm not sure why you are putting so much emphasis on their cars being different.

We'll see if Waffle improves or not. We'll also see if McLaren keep him or not and who they replace him with.
F1 is dead.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Don't forget McLaren are also negotiating for Key. Norris to STR in exchange for Key's early release and for not picking up Sainz's option sound reasonable. Now just to see if they resigned Norris and loaned him versus letting him go.

diffuser

techman wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 10:45
Maybe they gave RBR Norris for Sainz
Just putting it out there lol
I reckon mclaren had to pay redbull to release sainz. it could be for norris trade. i hoping norris joins TR
I'm not sure of that. Sainz had guarantee with RBR or bust. So if they weren't gonna keep him they had to release him ...aka they couldn't send him to STR.

NathanOlder

kptaylor wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 19:10
Don't forget McLaren are also negotiating for Key. Norris to STR in exchange for Key's early release and for not picking up Sainz's option sound reasonable. Now just to see if they resigned Norris and loaned him versus letting him go.
I know TR tried to get Norris already this season, but why do they want to loan a Mclaren driver. All it does is helps Mclaren with their young driver program.
Remember this is Toro Rosso who's sole purpose is to bed young drivers in and gain the experience to go on to Red Bull.

I really dont get why they would loan another driver from another major team. Surely it makes more sense to pick up a young driver from F2 or WEC who has a licence and isnt already part of an academy
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 23:44
kptaylor wrote:
I know TR tried to get Norris already this season, but why do they want to loan a Mclaren driver. All it does is helps Mclaren with their young driver program.
Remember this is Toro Rosso who's sole purpose is to bed young drivers in and gain the experience to go on to Red Bull.

I really dont get why they would loan another driver from another major team. Surely it makes more sense to pick up a young driver from F2 or WEC who has a licence and isnt already part of an academy
Norris did some testing with the Honda engine at Mclaren. I wonder if it is some sort of comparison or if they found they could work well with him?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rscsr

NathanOlder wrote:
kptaylor wrote:

According to Marko, they don't need to loan him. McLaren has to give Norris a contract for next season by September or he is free anyway.
And I doubt any driver would choose McLaren over Red Bull.

makecry
makecry

rscsr wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 07:09
NathanOlder wrote:
kptaylor wrote:

According to Marko, they don't need to loan him. McLaren has to give Norris a contract for next season by September or he is free anyway.
And I doubt any driver would choose McLaren over Red Bull.
It would be funny of Marko was fed that news by Mclaren and Norris and gets played at the end by them to get Key.

Gothrek
Gothrek

McG wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 19:05
Gothrek wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:59
Ground Effect wrote:

Alonso said McLaren have only had 1 meaningful upgrade this season so far. So I'm not sure why you are putting so much emphasis on their cars being different.

We'll see if Waffle improves or not. We'll also see if McLaren keep him or not and who they replace him with.
On big updates yes. But for example Monaco. Who was driving the new front wing with better downforce and about 0.2s faster? Only Alonso. There were even 2 wings, but they wanted to keep a spare for him...