2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 12:23
Just out of interest, whats the range on a top diesel truck these days ?
It depends on what size fuel tanks the truck has installed. Since you said top diesel truck then a little research shows that long haul trucks are capable of carrying 240 gallons of fuel or more and hence cover easily upwards of 1000 miles, closer to 1500.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

NathanOlder

so nearly 4 times the range of the top electric job.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Postmoe wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 12:10

You talk like a salesman that cannot sell.
sure bud :lol:

you talk like somebody who hasn't got the slightest clue what you're talking about
I've seen sufficient trends go up and down not to be impressed. People tend to think technology is direct application of a patent, while it is truly something way more related to organization.
exhibit A. patents have been applied years ago. we're already years in the actual market applications.
If those trucks would be coherently designed they would be developed for short distances distribution, not looking for the wow effect in the U.S market and competing in an area where turbo compound can probably make more sense (the big volume high load 300k+ commute).
again, no clue whatsoever about transportation and what the Tesla semi's are designed for.
you only live in the USA it seems, i assume 30 years ago still. there's more outside of the land of Trump, you know?
Am i talking about Mclaren 'trucks' driving in USA or in europe? am i talking EU market or USA market?

=D>
Trying to be rational,
where?
I know countries where 80% of their logistics transport is made by truck. Unneducated as my views are, I cannot see how putting this massive and aberrant proportion into batteries would solve anything.
and that proves your uneducated view.
but hey, let's go on showing your non-wisdom and keep derailing this thread.

i've mentioned above the reason for implementing this potential 'partnership' and it seems that it's not going to happen atleast for this year. I do expect it to happen sooner rather than later.
It would fit with Mclaren's claims about being 'the team to look out for' at the paddock, so it would make sense if they did implement the Tesla Semi in their 'car park', but - as ialso suggested - it's probably too early.

Either way,
a tech partnership between Mclaren and Tesla would be something very interesting.
Mclaren could provide a 'wealth of knowledge' to Tesla, and vise versa.

I'm confident that if it's not going to be Mclaren, it's going to be another team - sooner or later.

Mercedes or Williams would reasonably be the other top 2 candidates, probably RedBull too.
But from all of them, Mclaren would be the most interesting as their 'applied sciences' department would make sense.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 22:55
diffuser wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 20:59
RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 16:16
Who knows, maybe they have something special in store since they announced that they will introduce a new package in Melbourne. I still find it intriguing that McLaren want to have the sharkfin banned.
That is almost always the case. The testing package will use as much from last year as possible that is visible to the eye.
That has changed since testing has been limited to just 8 days.
I disagree. It was different last year cause of the major change in the formula.

GoranF1
GoranF1

In the documentary Stoffel did a 1,19.970 lap in the simulator(BCN). What was the actual fastest lap in testing from him and Alonso?

edit: i see now its 1.21.300, so is that in your opinion due to simulator/track colleration problem or due to Honda giving them false data, or something else?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

bauc

GoranF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:54
In the documentary Stoffel did a 1,19.970 lap in the simulator(BCN). What was the actual fastest lap in testing from him and Alonso?

edit: i see now its 1.21.300, so is that in your opinion due to simulator/track colleration problem or due to Honda giving them false data, or something else?
I think its just the simulator doing its thing, in reality despite the fact that in the sim all of the things are predicted still there might be a wind or the tires simply behave differently that can affect the actual time on track, or simply they found that the actual car is harder to drive on track ect
Last edited by bauc on 14 Feb 2018, 16:26, edited 3 times in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RonDennis
RonDennis

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 10:21
RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 22:56
Manoah2u wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 20:43
With Mclaren stating they're intending to 'be the team on the grid' to look at also with their motorhomes and stuff,
could we be seeing Mclaren with Tesla Semi Trucks?

https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/up ... 4_Blue.jpg
Nah,

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/volvo-trucks/
I don't expect that to change - yet - but it must be said, that is still last year's partner and truck.
It still says Mclaren-Honda on the top of the truck.
That's because the new car hasn't been announced yet. All the partners that are signed for the coming season are being displayed on the site, Volvo is one of them.
GoranF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 15:54

The simulator is based on aero data, tyre data and engine data, so yeah the Honda was around 1,5 seconds per lap slower than what they expected it to be. That's why they probably said they were "led on".

Postmoe

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 14:54
Postmoe wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 12:10

You talk like a salesman that cannot sell.
sure bud :lol:

you talk like somebody who hasn't got the slightest clue what you're talking about
I've seen sufficient trends go up and down not to be impressed. People tend to think technology is direct application of a patent, while it is truly something way more related to organization.
exhibit A. patents have been applied years ago. we're already years in the actual market applications.
If those trucks would be coherently designed they would be developed for short distances distribution, not looking for the wow effect in the U.S market and competing in an area where turbo compound can probably make more sense (the big volume high load 300k+ commute).
again, no clue whatsoever about transportation and what the Tesla semi's are designed for.
you only live in the USA it seems, i assume 30 years ago still. there's more outside of the land of Trump, you know?
Am i talking about Mclaren 'trucks' driving in USA or in europe? am i talking EU market or USA market?

=D>
Trying to be rational,
where?
I know countries where 80% of their logistics transport is made by truck. Unneducated as my views are, I cannot see how putting this massive and aberrant proportion into batteries would solve anything.
and that proves your uneducated view.
but hey, let's go on showing your non-wisdom and keep derailing this thread.

i've mentioned above the reason for implementing this potential 'partnership' and it seems that it's not going to happen atleast for this year. I do expect it to happen sooner rather than later.
It would fit with Mclaren's claims about being 'the team to look out for' at the paddock, so it would make sense if they did implement the Tesla Semi in their 'car park', but - as ialso suggested - it's probably too early.

Either way,
a tech partnership between Mclaren and Tesla would be something very interesting.
Mclaren could provide a 'wealth of knowledge' to Tesla, and vise versa.

I'm confident that if it's not going to be Mclaren, it's going to be another team - sooner or later.

Mercedes or Williams would reasonably be the other top 2 candidates, probably RedBull too.
But from all of them, Mclaren would be the most interesting as their 'applied sciences' department would make sense.
I'm uterly uninterested about the possibility of partnership between Tesla and Mclaren at this point, never been part of the discussion.

You asked for how the picture I posted related to Tesla trucks and I responded: because while technologicaly possible, it is uterly non-sense in many scenarios. The way Tesla develops its offer is around massive hype for its linkedin audience.

I am surely uneducated, because all of us need to specialize and master our tiny fraction of knowledge, but back in the days, we used to rely on this: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... stics/fr

All the EU transport is heavily dominated by international truck routes and then logistic centers distribute on short distances. Countries like Spain are 93% truck based. The proportions are not small for a "breakthrough" tech that would need massive electric infrastructures to be implemented even on regional scale. It reminds me of the crazyness backing the AVE project.

@ Nathan: easily 2000km

Andres125sx

Postmoe wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 16:37
It reminds me of the crazyness backing the AVE project.

What crazyness? AVE is great, people who use it love it, much more than a plane wich cost is much higher and is not faster if you take into account the time you waste at the airport

Easily 2000km in a round? Then you´re the crazy one I´m afraid :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Alonso Fan

Andres125sx wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 18:44
Postmoe wrote:

What crazyness? AVE is great, people who use it love it, much more than a plane wich cost is much higher and is not faster if you take into account the time you waste at the airport

Easily 2000km in a round? Then you´re the crazy one I´m afraid :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He's right about the 2000 km. All you need is Google and a spare 2 minutes to verify
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Alonso Fan wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 19:18
Andres125sx wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 18:44
Postmoe wrote:

He's right about the 2000 km. All you need is Google and a spare 2 minutes to verify
2000 km yes.

let's say the average is 5 miles per gallon, and the semi has 2 150 gallon tanks, so 300 gallon times 5 miles per gallon equals 1500 miles on a single run. that's about 2400 km from the top of my head.

so 2000 km is indeed a decent figure. 2000 miles is only achievable like that as the truck without trailer and load.

but here it gets interesting.

EU rules (Drivers’ hours rules Regulation (EC)561/2006) state there's a 9 hour daily driving limit - with a maximum of 56 driving hours limit each week :!: with a 45 minutes break after 4.5 hours of driving.

that means that a driver can only drive 4.5 hours, then needs 45 minute break, before driving another 4.5 hours.
then he must rest and not drive for 11 hours (or 9, permitted under circumstances. the break can also be divided in 1 of 15 minutes and one of 30 minutes).

would the truck be able to contineously do 50 mph (most european HIGHWAYS won't allow faster anyway) - thus no traffic jams, as good as no braking, free overtaking if neccesary, then at the very best, he can do 225 miles on 4.5 hours drive, and after the break, do another 225 miles. so that's 450 miles in 9 hours 45 minutes. and then, end of story, he needs to rest.

so i really can't be bothered with 1500 miles on a single fuel run.
fact is, to make it up to 450 miles, it's gonna take 9 hours and 45 minutes.
and he is MANDATED to make a 45-minute break after 225 miles ANYWAY.

can you see what's happening here?

the Tesla can do a 500 mile range on a 'full charge', but only needs 30 minutes for a 400 mile charge.
in other words, there's PLENTY of charge to go around when the driver needs to do his mandated 45 minute break after 4.5 hours of driving.

in those 45 minutes, the truck is charged to do another 400 miles whilst he only needs to do another 225 miles.

and the fun part is, the total cost of a tesla semi will be cheaper in use than a diesel truck when looking at the whole picture.

so it's fun and games throwing diesel tank figures in the air, but it's completely blocked by the EU driving rules.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 14 Feb 2018, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Postmoe wrote:

I'm uterly uninterested about the possibility of partnership between Tesla and Mclaren at this point, never been part of the discussion.
are you just willingly blind? it was exactly that with which i started mentioning the possibility of Mclaren going to use Tesla semis, hence starting the discussion. #-o

also, who cares whether you are utterly uninterested, other people actually ARE interested in things like that.
You asked for how the picture I posted related to Tesla trucks
i didn't ask anything.

i stated i don't see how that clueless and childish post has anything to do with the tesla trucks,
and then provided some information you could - and should - digest in why it is something of interest.
your stubbornness and unwillingness to be open for it is your problem, not mine.
and I responded: because while technologicaly possible, it is uterly non-sense in many scenarios. The way Tesla develops its offer is around massive hype for its linkedin audience.
and there you go again, uninsightfull, un-educated, 30-years back in time response not open or knowing how the [modern] world works. funny actually, perhaps you should actually be interested in linkedin for that matter, there's more there than meets the eye.

all i see is somebody who can't keep up and yells stuff in the air al bundy style.
I am surely uneducated, because all of us need to specialize and master our tiny fraction of knowledge, but back in the days, we used to rely on this: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... stics/fr
literally nothing to do with the discussion at hand about a tesla truck being used vs a diesel truck, even more on why mclaren should or shouldn't use it.
All the EU transport is heavily dominated by international truck routes and then logistic centers distribute on short distances.
LOL!
Countries like Spain are 93% truck based. The proportions are not small for a "breakthrough" tech that would need massive electric infrastructures to be implemented even on regional scale. It reminds me of the crazyness backing the AVE project.
LOL again, i'm sure you know better than Musk and his personel, and the gigantic amount of millions they invested in the project.
lol somebody atleast learned to use google.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 14:46
so nearly 4 times the range of the top electric job.
and funny enough, that doesn't mean squad.

and do realize that that's speaking about top of the line top-diesel trucks that have huge tanks installed,
vs the 'first' real production 'heavy' semi truck that's gonna hit the market.

5 years after first hitting the market, you'll see great improvement on the electric heavy semi market as it suddenly becomes a commercial 'competitor' and thus money can be made for further improvement, not 'just' a kickstarter, all along whilst regular commuter electric vehicles also gain progress and there will be a vise-versa sharing of technology.

it's a matter of time before battery tech will improve anyway, as does electric motor technology. compare it with tesla's first ever roadster on the market years ago vs the tesla huge flagships running the streets now.

and apart from that, the tesla semi has much more benefits, one of the not-too-small one being that it's massively safer to drive.

BUT we're pretty FAR offtopic here :mrgreen:

well, atleast it's a discussion that's not about haters bashing on you-know-what because of you-know-who for whatever-you-know reason :mrgreen:

Webber2011
Webber2011

More than a bit far off topic !

You got shares in Tesla or something ?

Give it a rest, I'm sure there's a Tesla thread here somewhere

restless
restless

woah... is there a truck-spam attack?!
Long distance truck drivers go in pairs. Just saying.