2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Zoom_83 wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 17:38
I'm quite new here...but have been reading this for a long time.

I do not have any sources of information or anything of that sort. To me as fan, McLaren are building for the future. Results won't come by a flick of a switch in no time. Everybody knows that the current chassis is under-performing and most probably non-upgradable. They switched attention to the future with the engagement of Fry and later on Key (and only Zak knows what other internal changes were done). So do not expect any change for this season.

I as a fan can only hope that next year with Norris+Sainz, it would be a bit better than this year. I believe McLaren learned the lesson....now let's hope they go back to their winning ways.

Question : I read somewhere that McLaren were working with BMW on an engine for future F1 use. Is it true or just some fiction article to sell papers?
I saw those links too several months back, BMW, Mclaren and Ricardo collaborating. It was just speculation, based on what, at the time they thought would be a major engine engine rules shake up for 2021. I don't think there's any credibility in those reports. BMW don't seem to have any appetite for F1 whatsoever.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

wunderkind wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 18:41
diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 16:39
It's no coincidence that Liberty tried to convince RBR to take him. Many of those eyes will turn to watch him at whatever he does next, atleast give it a chance.
If Liberty really did ask RBR to take Alonso (kind of contrary to Alonso's claims), then it's purely because Liberty wants a three-way championship battle to spice up the show in 2019.

McLaren should have bought Force India while it was available and then paint the FI's papaya orange and they would have instantly dragged themselves up the ladder. Just kidding.
It was confirmed by all 3 parties so now sure why the "if". What was in dispute was whether a contracted was offered by RBR.

diffuser

Zoom_83 wrote:

Question : I read somewhere that McLaren were working with BMW on an engine for future F1 use. Is it true or just some fiction article to sell papers?
They can't be working on it cause the future PU rules are in limbo. They can't agree on what they want to do. Horner (a few months ago) is on the record as saying he doesn't think anything can be done any earlier than 2023 at this point. So they could be thinking about it but I can't see how any design work could have gotten started before those PU regs are set in stone.

Jolle
Jolle

diffuser wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 16:04
Zoom_83 wrote:

They can't be working on it cause the future PU rules are in limbo. They can't agree on what they want to do. Horner (a few months ago) is on the record as saying he doesn't think anything can be done any earlier than 2023 at this point. So they could be thinking about it but I can't see how any design work could have gotten started before those PU regs are set in stone.
Well, with their sportscar business they have painted themselves into a corner as well, most big brands, who have the possibility of building a race winning PU have their own premium brands. Next to good finance, one of the obvious chances for McLaren is that the PU rules are so dumbed down that a small company like Cosworth or McLaren themselves can design a competitive engine again.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Jolle wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 16:17
diffuser wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 16:04
Zoom_83 wrote:

Well, with their sportscar business they have painted themselves into a corner as well, most big brands, who have the possibility of building a race winning PU have their own premium brands. Next to good finance, one of the obvious chances for McLaren is that the PU rules are so dumbed down that a small company like Cosworth or McLaren themselves can design a competitive engine again.
There's little to no chance the rules will be sufficiently dumbed down for that... While talks were ongoing, no new manufacturer showed any serious interest in coming on board, even when there seemed to be willingness to compromise and remove the MGU-H, so they're thinking what's the point? All current manufacturers don't want it simplified... So for what appears to be a long time, Mclaren will remain a customer.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

dren

Sounds bleak. And god, that site sucks!
Honda!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

dren wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 18:52
Why do you think it sucks, is their content untrustworthy (wild speculations) like a lot of other sites?

Jolle
Jolle

dren wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger...

dren

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 18:58
dren wrote:
Why do you think it sucks, is their content untrustworthy (wild speculations) like a lot of other sites?
I couldn't read it for more than 5 seconds without a video popping up and the text moving up and down. As far as content, it's tied in with Autosport, so it's more trustworthy than others.
Honda!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

dren wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 19:24
Ground Effect wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 18:58
dren wrote:
I couldn't read it for more than 5 seconds without a video popping up and the text moving up and down. As far as content, it's tied in with Autosport, so it's more trustworthy than others.
OK, thanks for clarifying.

RonDennis
RonDennis

These periods within GP's are simply terrible. Why is this even news? I already knew from testing that the car was extremely poor.

Chicane
Chicane

F1 designs are an evolution most of the time unless the design has serious flaws like MCL33 does. 2019 was always going to be an interim pit-stop in terms of getting their house in order, building a pyramid technical structure, hiring new people and integrating them in to the system, promoting internally, streamlining processes and simplifying decision making.

They have far too many things to fix them in time for 2019 season. They are making a fresh start with a new technical team, new drivers and a new approach. They are avoiding any talk which builds up expectations. Tempering expectations and building a foundation to make a big step in 2021 coinciding with new rules and budget cap.

As has been mentioned on this forum already next year's chassis parameters are already set in stone and looking at the time lines in f1 James Key would have no impact on 2019 car even if he made the switch in the next month or so.

The biggest hit for Mclaren this season was that the MCL33 had such poor fundamentals that it responded really poorly to upgrades. Mclaren definitely want to avoid repeating the same mistake with the 2019 car.
Quickshifter

diffuser

Remember all the talk last year about the NEW PU having no effect on the car design. At the very least, lost all the packaging advantages of the Honda PU and were not able to take advantage of any of the RENAULT packaging advantages(All that free space above the PU). Basically the narrower side pods was something they were already planning with the Honda and that's all they did.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what they do next year. Hopefully it will be something that keeps our interest for more than 10 minutes.

adrianjordan

wunderkind wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 18:41
diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 16:39
It's no coincidence that Liberty tried to convince RBR to take him. Many of those eyes will turn to watch him at whatever he does next, atleast give it a chance.
If Liberty really did ask RBR to take Alonso (kind of contrary to Alonso's claims), then it's purely because Liberty wants a three-way championship battle to spice up the show in 2019.

McLaren should have bought Force India while it was available and then paint the FI's papaya orange and they would have instantly dragged themselves up the ladder. Just kidding.
In my opinion Mclaren absolutely should have had a go at buying Force India and swapping the PU contract if there was any chance. Then raid the best of FI technical staff for Mclaren and then run the remainder of that team as a B Team.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️