2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
TAG

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 22:09
On the whole Rosberg Hamilton debate, would anyone have any clue on the number of overtakes they managed to pull off on each other ? Not including pit stops or the run down to turn 1 on lap 1.

Proper overtakes or errors where one pressured the other in to a mistake to pass (Like Monza 2014)

From 2013-2016 (4years) I don't recall many times Rosberg passing Lewis and making it stick.
I think the position being taken by Phil is that Rosberg was a good qualifier. We know come race day where the difference usually was.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Raleigh
Raleigh

Austin 2015 comes to mind, Rosberg overtook Hamilton into turn 1 during the race, although he slid off the track later and Hamilton took the win. Can't think of anything from 2016, infact remember discussing with my brother (another big F1 fan) that Nico had not been able to pass Lewis on track in 2016.

F1Krof

TAG wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 22:51
NathanOlder wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 22:09
On the whole Rosberg Hamilton debate, would anyone have any clue on the number of overtakes they managed to pull off on each other ? Not including pit stops or the run down to turn 1 on lap 1.

Proper overtakes or errors where one pressured the other in to a mistake to pass (Like Monza 2014)

From 2013-2016 (4years) I don't recall many times Rosberg passing Lewis and making it stick.
I think the position being taken by Phil is that Rosberg was a good qualifier. We know come race day where the difference usually was.
I believe Rosberg passed Hamilton at US GP in 2015, it was wet, Hamilton was struggling for grip when Rosberg passed him. But then later that race, Rosberg slipped on Hamilton regained the lead and was crowned champion.
Wroom wroom

NathanOlder

So thats once in 4 years ??
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

makecry
makecry

Raleigh wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 23:01
Austin 2015 comes to mind, Rosberg overtook Hamilton into turn 1 during the race, although he slid off the track later and Hamilton took the win. Can't think of anything from 2016, infact remember discussing with my brother (another big F1 fan) that Nico had not been able to pass Lewis on track in 2016.
150% sure it wasn't turn one.

F1Krof

Hmm interesting "... Rosberg unsuccessfully tried to overtake teammate Hamilton for second on lap 16..." (Wikipedia, '2015 United States Grand Prix').

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Unit ... Grand_Prix
Wroom wroom

Raleigh
Raleigh

makecry wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 11:42
Raleigh wrote:
13 Oct 2018, 23:01
150% sure it wasn't turn one.
Oh yeah that's right it was turn 12. Nico tried to pass into turn 1 and couldn't pull it off, then a couple of laps later passed into turn 12, Lewis came back at him around the outside of turn 13, ran wide losing traction and Nico took the place.

flynfrog

You guys are now around 4 pages deep talking about a driver that hasn't driven for the team for a few years now. Old wounds I guess. Maybe try to keep it on topic?

TAG

Hamilton was on The Daily Show here in the states today (Sorry for the crappy YouTube link.) It was the only one I found in such short notice.

Anyway, the point of the post is the influence F1 can have on sponsors and their sales. Lewis has seemingly transcended being just an F1 driver. Couple of really interesting points in the interview.

1) he said that he was the one that brought Tommy Hilfiger into the team as a sponsor.
2) as part of the deal he designed the entirety of the clothing line he's got with Tommy Hilfiger.
3) His Hamilton brand line was 77% of the entire Tommy Hilfiger men's line sales for the fall.

That's some solid business.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ringo

Rosberg was the best german driver even before he went up against Lewis. It was evident from His Williams days and time against Shumachaer that he was the real deal.
He was in fact close to Hamilton in Qualifying. I believe on the shorter circuits he is at worst a tenth slower. On the longer circuits with more technical stuff it can be 4 tenths to Half a second.
However what we have not looked at is how in the first two years of the turbo era hamilton was biasing his car to the race more so than qualifying.
This gave him fuel consumption advantage, tyre wear among other things. The team then wanted to investigate this phenomena and ensure Rosberg was armed with the same techniques. Qualifying to me tells 20% of the story of the difference between the two. Rosberg is just as quick as Lewis on average. Lewis couldn't sleep on him.

However race pace is where i think Hamilton was more confident and more relaxed going up against Rosberg. Nico was much weaker in the race, and this is where he would get smashed most of the time. Sometimes dropped up to half a minute as the races concluded. This is the other 80% difference between the two. The race pace, and the race craft.

Bottas has an advantage over Rosberg in this regard. He overtakes better, defends better, and i think he does have a better pace than Nico over a race distance. What blurs the lines is that there is more competition from the other cars now. But i sense Lewis is more comfortable dealing with Rosberg's race pace than he is with Bottas.
I think he was able to catch Rosberg and attempt an overtake more times than he is to do that with Valteri.

So i wouldnt say Valteri is rubbish, and i wouldn't say Rosberg wasn't great. Bottas in fact is one of the best drivers on the grid currently, and it may make no difference swapping him out for Alonso or Rosberg. The later ones just have a political and toxic approach to team politics. Overall the team is right in retaining Valteri. if you look at his qualifying record and also his podiums he is doing very well.
For Sure!!

Wynters
Wynters

Worth remembering the unreliability, bad luck, poor strategy calls from the pit wall and team orders have cost Bottas mulitple race wins this season.

siskue2005

Wynters wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 18:18
Worth remembering the unreliability, bad luck, poor strategy calls from the pit wall and team orders have cost Bottas mulitple race wins this season.
maybe but also his lack of pace in most of them has compounded the problem.... Bottas has been fast or equal fast to Lewis in only 4 or 5 races in the total 18 races

Jokeri
Jokeri

Maybe Waltteris team didnt do good enough job with the car setup..

Phil

So, on the topic of the wheel hubs Mercedes has been using since a few races that have supposedly better given them control over the temperatures of the rear-tires and better tire deg, obviously, there are some rumors surfacing that at the American GP/COTA, apparently Mercedes was filled to "fill the holes with silicone".

Now, there has been some discussion in the race-topic about how much truth there could be to using silicone in such a place/location that sees very very high temperatures.

In the meantime, I've been following the podcast of Missed Apex that have reported something about the topic. Their podcast can be listened to here:

The part about the wheel hubs starts at 8:11 into the podcast.

In it, there's basically this story about Arrivabene inquiring about the holes in the Mercedes wheel hub, because from his understanding, when RedBull started using them, they were deemed illegal because they were used for mainly aero-dynamic purposes. In the case of Mercedes using it, it was deemed to be 'okay' because Mercedes was using it for cooling purposes (supposedly not aero). However, under the presumption that having holes for aero purposes would be illegal, I think there could be some truth to the story that Mercedes had to do something to close them in order not to risk a team contesting the result post race?

Think about it; if lets say the holes are threading a fine line of legality, you probably didn't want to get disqualified post race over something like this, if indeed there is a very fine margin.

Of course, the worse tire deg could also simply be related to tire pressures and/or little friday running for a less than a optimal set-up. But I thought the discussion did warrant at least this info being posted. Judge how you will.
Last edited by Phil on 23 Oct 2018, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sierra117

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir